The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

The children of Princess Cristina of Spain attend a French school in Barcelona. They also attended a French school when they were in Washington D.C.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Why does Prince Emmanuel of Belgium attend a special school?

Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Why does Prince Emmanuel of Belgium attend a special school?
Afaik, the school is a special school for children with learning difficulties like dyslexia, dyscalcula etc. The children are at this school for 1 or 2 years before returning to a regular school. The exact learning difficulty that P.Emmanuel has to deal with is (afaik) not been disclosed (and i'm not so sure it should...coping with learning difficulties is often hard enough for a kid as it is...)
Old 08-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Edward will send his children to Gordonstoun, but more likely a school closer to home for their secondary education. I am not sure Sophie would want her children to be quite so far away. Zara and Peter both went to Gordonstoun didn't they? Only Andrew was not made a Prefect the school when he attended, whereas Philip, Charles and Edward all were. Edward was also elected as Head Boy in his final year. I think Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than Charles ever did. He didn't enjoy it apparently.

I would think James attends the same school as Louise (St George's School, Windsor), which is one of the oldest in England and it is the school who looks after the choir for St George's Chapel. Princess Eugenie also attended this school for a short period of time and then went to Marlborough College, a prestigious public school in England which the Duchess of Cambridge also attended. Princess Beatrice attended St George's School in Ascot (not the same one that Louise currently attends) for her secondary education. I would think Louise and James will attend Marlborough College or James may attend Eton like William and Harry.

I also wondered why Prince Emmanuel attended a special education school as well, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Nobility

I think Eaton is probably going to be James school. Gordonstoun is very old school, no pun intended.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Eaton is probably going to be James school. Gordonstoun is very old school, no pun intended.
Eton was founded in 1690

Gordonstoun was founded in 1934

but I think we agree!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think I could of ever sent my 8 year old to boarding school. I remember I had trouble when he went to summer camp for a week.
I guess I never understood sending the young children away from home for school, do a lot of people send their children away to school starting at the age of 8?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

The majority that do have either jobs that take them away - senior military, diplomatic etc and their wives go with them; or its traditional. You need £££ to do it so not all that many do.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Nobility

All Royal and most upper class boys go at 8 but girls don't go until 13,I believe. I think it's so ingrained in the moneyed/titled classes it is not really an issue. and *most* kids adapt well enough and make lifelong friendships from what I have read.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
All Royal and most upper class boys go at 8 but girls don't go until 13,I believe. I think it's so ingrained in the moneyed/titled classes it is not really an issue. and *most* kids adapt well enough and make lifelong friendships from what I have read.
Not true about girls. For example, Catherine went to St andrews School (the one she visited and played hockey in heels, just before she got sick). That school takes boarders of both sexes from 5 or 6. PArents who live away or work away and who want their children educated in the UK do this.

In Catherine's case, she became a part-time boarder - 3 or 4 days a week. Don't know how old she was, and my assumption is it was when her parents were building the business.

This type of education system is there to suit all types of situations - you just need to be able to pay for it.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Eton was founded in 1690
Eton was founded in 1440 by King Henry VI.

Eton, le futur collège du prince George de Cambridge | Noblesse & Royautés
Eton College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

oops my mistake - thank you

Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I don't think Edward will send his children to Gordonstoun, but more likely a school closer to home for their secondary education. I am not sure Sophie would want her children to be quite so far away. Zara and Peter both went to Gordonstoun didn't they? Only Andrew was not made a Prefect the school when he attended, whereas Philip, Charles and Edward all were. Edward was also elected as Head Boy in his final year. I think Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than Charles ever did. He didn't enjoy it apparently.
That's correct, they both went to Gourdonstoun.

I also think Louise and James won't go there; I think Louise (and possibly James) will attend a day school that's near to them. It's possible that James could attend another boarding school- like others here I'm thinking that he could go to Eton and Sunningdale (I'm not sure if it's primary and secondary; I think it's just primary) sprung to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
So is Lady Louise a boarder at St. George?

The children of Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece are also attended or have attended Garden House in London. And Olympia, their eldest daughter just graduated from Queen's Gate in South Kensington.
Apologies for not getting back to your question in time (I see it's already been answered).

I didn't know that Marie-Chantal and Pavlos's children are attending Garden House as well. I wonder if Margarita has met them. I remember reading somewhere that the Duchess of Cornwall used to go to Queen's Gate like Maria Olympia.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Albert Victor (Duke of Clarence) He attended Trinity College in Cambridge, England.

Wilhelm II of Germany As a teenager he was educated at Kassel at the Friedrichsgymnasium. After Kassel he spent four terms at the University of Bonn. He studied law and politics.

In 1910 Prince Henry, the third son of King George V and Queen Mary of England, went to St. Peter's preparatory school, Broadstairs. Then Henry went on to Eton.

Queen Elizabeth I of England, as Princess Elizabeth, received an education that made her fluent in Greek, Latin, French, and Italian. Her Greek and Latin tutor, Roger Aschan, liked her beautiful handwriting and her musical skills.

Isabel, the Princess Imperial of Brazil, and her sister, Princess Leopoldina, were in class six days per week. Their subjects included Portuguese and French literature, astronomy, chemistry, the history of Portugal, England and France, drawing, and piano. Additional subjects included dancing, political economy, geography, geology, and the history of philosophy.
The Grand Duchess Anna Pavlovna (1795-1865), the daughter of Paul I of Russia, learned French, German, and Russian. She had music lessons. Also she had lessons in mathematics and natural sciences.
She married the future King William II of The Netherlands.
In academic work Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, in 1964 passed English Literature, English Language, History, Latin, and French at the General Certificate of Education's Ordinary Level.
Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, attended Hill House, a school in Hans Place in the Knightsbridge district of London.
Charles's penmanship was "good, firm, clear, well-formed".

In the summer of 1956 a young Frenchwoman named Bibiane was hired to tutor Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales in French at the royal summer home, Balmoral Castle.
Prince Ranier of Monaco graduated from Le Rosoy School in Switzerland in the summer of 1939. He arrived at Montpellier University at the end of August 1939 to begin his university studies. He enrolled in a general course of education with an emphasis on French history.
As a boy, King Albert I of the Belgians studied engineering.
He was especially interested in ships and airplanes.
Francis Joseph II (Franz Josef II) of Liechtenstein studied engineering at the Forestry and Agricultural University in Vienna, Austria.
Hereditary Prince Boris of Montenegro is a graduate of the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Arts Decoratif and is a typographic designer.

Simeon II of Bulgaria attended the Valley Forge Military Academy in the United States.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg's secondary education was in Luxembourg and France.
In 1974 Henri gained his baccalaureate.

Maximilian Maria (1862-1885) was the seventh Prince of Thurn and Taxis.
He received his education from Baron Carl von Geyr-Schleppenburg.
Maximilian Maria was given private lessons. Beginning in 1880, he studied philosophy, law, and economics at the Universities of Bonn, Strasbourg, and Gottingen.
Ludwig II of Bavaria made sufficient progress in French and history to please his tutors.
He also excelled at Ancient Greek translation.
He showed a strong talent for mathematics.

Henry of Bolingbroke (King Henry IV of England) was proficient in Latin, French, and English.
For preference, he spoke Norman-French, the traditional language of the English court.
King Henry V of England was literate in English, French, Latin, and Welsh.
He enjoyed books on history, theology, and hunting.
Henry enjoyed the works of Chaucer, Hoccleve, and Lydgate.
Princess Stephanie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, the future Queen Consort of King Pedro V of Portugal, received private piano instruction with Clara Schumann.
As a small boy the future George IV of England and his brother Prince Frederick were educated in the classics, modern languages, and mathematics.
The Princes received instruction in music, fencing, and boxing.
In 1427 King Henry VI of England's first master was appointed. He was a monk named John Somerset.
John Somerset taught Henry French and English.
Many books were bought for Henry. These included Bede's History of the English Church and a work entitled On the Rule of Princes.
The future King Christian VII of Denmark was six years old when he was given his own household.
Christian was taught mathematics and theology by his strict tutor, Count Dietlev Reventlow.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Isabel, the Princess Imperial of Brazil, and her sister, Princess Leopoldina, were in class six days per week. Their subjects included Portuguese and French literature, astronomy, chemistry, the history of Portugal, England and France, drawing, and piano. Additional subjects included dancing, political economy, geography, geology, and the history of philosophy.
That's a lot of school for two girls. When do they relax and play?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Serene Highness

It's very interesting reading about the different schools that royals attend. I'm just curious, has any modern royal attended a non-private school or attended a school where just regular kids attended.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 AM
Nobility

Sure. The Dutch royals and the current children and I know the Scandinavian royal children do.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Commoner

Royals that attended Royal military Academy Sandhurst.

Commonwealth realms
Prince William, Prince Harry, Prince Michael, Prince Edward, Prince henry, Prince Arthur, Prince Francis, Prince Christian.

Bahrain
Sheikh Hamad bin Essa Al-Khalifa, former King of Bahrain, Sheikh Nasser bin Hamad Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad Al-Khalifa,Sheikh Mohammed bin Salman Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Mohammad bin Khalifa bin Hamad Al-Khalifa.Sheikh Khalifa bin Ahmad Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Khalifa bin Rashid Al-Khalifa,Sheikh Salman bin Mohammed Al-Khalifa,Sheikh Abdullah bin Salman bin Khalid Al-Khalifa.

Uae
Sheikh Hamdan, Sheikh Majid, Sheikh Mansoor, Sheikh Rashid, Sheikh Mohammed
Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

James Ogilvy of England had lessons in the schoolroom at Buckingham Palace under the tutelage of Lavinia Keppel.
He went on to Gibbs Preparatory School and to Heatherdown, also a prep school.
James attended Eton College.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Majesty

James was in a class with Prince Edward, Sarah Armstrong-Jones, and the Earl of St Andrews - all born in 1964 while David Linley and Prince Andrew had had other friends in the classroom until all of them were old enough to go to boarding school.