The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I think he'll be going to St George's

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Serene Highness

Prep schools attendance usually begins at age 8 believe.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I would think James will attend Eton in few years or possibly gordonstoun like Edward did.
If James goes to Gordonstoun I would expect Louise to also go, as it's co-ed now.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think he'll be going to St George's
I'm guessing this will be his first year in school then? If so, will he be going to pre-prep?

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Serene Highness

Pre prep at St Georges goes from 3 to 7 so that might be.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

St George's takes children from the age of 3 (Nursery) right through to 13.

He may be there already in pre-prep - dont know.

I would be amazed if Gordonstoun was chosen - I think these are parents who although they might sent their child to boarding school, it would be close to home. There are some good public schools for girls at Ascot which is nearby which take day and boarders.

Beatrice went to St George's at Ascot (different school to St George's Windsor) here is a link about that one. St. George's School, Ascot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both daughters of the Duke of Gloucester went there as well

Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Pre prep at St Georges goes from 3 to 7 so that might be.
In this case, assuming he started there for nursery, he may indeed be there.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Nobility

The children of Princess Cristina of Spain attend a French school in Barcelona. They also attended a French school when they were in Washington D.C.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Why does Prince Emmanuel of Belgium attend a special school?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Why does Prince Emmanuel of Belgium attend a special school?
Afaik, the school is a special school for children with learning difficulties like dyslexia, dyscalcula etc. The children are at this school for 1 or 2 years before returning to a regular school. The exact learning difficulty that P.Emmanuel has to deal with is (afaik) not been disclosed (and i'm not so sure it should...coping with learning difficulties is often hard enough for a kid as it is...)
Old 08-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Edward will send his children to Gordonstoun, but more likely a school closer to home for their secondary education. I am not sure Sophie would want her children to be quite so far away. Zara and Peter both went to Gordonstoun didn't they? Only Andrew was not made a Prefect the school when he attended, whereas Philip, Charles and Edward all were. Edward was also elected as Head Boy in his final year. I think Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than Charles ever did. He didn't enjoy it apparently.

I would think James attends the same school as Louise (St George's School, Windsor), which is one of the oldest in England and it is the school who looks after the choir for St George's Chapel. Princess Eugenie also attended this school for a short period of time and then went to Marlborough College, a prestigious public school in England which the Duchess of Cambridge also attended. Princess Beatrice attended St George's School in Ascot (not the same one that Louise currently attends) for her secondary education. I would think Louise and James will attend Marlborough College or James may attend Eton like William and Harry.

I also wondered why Prince Emmanuel attended a special education school as well, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

I think Eaton is probably going to be James school. Gordonstoun is very old school, no pun intended.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Eaton is probably going to be James school. Gordonstoun is very old school, no pun intended.
Eton was founded in 1690

Gordonstoun was founded in 1934

but I think we agree!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think I could of ever sent my 8 year old to boarding school. I remember I had trouble when he went to summer camp for a week.
I guess I never understood sending the young children away from home for school, do a lot of people send their children away to school starting at the age of 8?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

The majority that do have either jobs that take them away - senior military, diplomatic etc and their wives go with them; or its traditional. You need £££ to do it so not all that many do.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

All Royal and most upper class boys go at 8 but girls don't go until 13,I believe. I think it's so ingrained in the moneyed/titled classes it is not really an issue. and *most* kids adapt well enough and make lifelong friendships from what I have read.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
All Royal and most upper class boys go at 8 but girls don't go until 13,I believe. I think it's so ingrained in the moneyed/titled classes it is not really an issue. and *most* kids adapt well enough and make lifelong friendships from what I have read.
Not true about girls. For example, Catherine went to St andrews School (the one she visited and played hockey in heels, just before she got sick). That school takes boarders of both sexes from 5 or 6. PArents who live away or work away and who want their children educated in the UK do this.

In Catherine's case, she became a part-time boarder - 3 or 4 days a week. Don't know how old she was, and my assumption is it was when her parents were building the business.

This type of education system is there to suit all types of situations - you just need to be able to pay for it.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Eton was founded in 1690
Eton was founded in 1440 by King Henry VI.

Eton, le futur collège du prince George de Cambridge | Noblesse & Royautés
Eton College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

oops my mistake - thank you

Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I don't think Edward will send his children to Gordonstoun, but more likely a school closer to home for their secondary education. I am not sure Sophie would want her children to be quite so far away. Zara and Peter both went to Gordonstoun didn't they? Only Andrew was not made a Prefect the school when he attended, whereas Philip, Charles and Edward all were. Edward was also elected as Head Boy in his final year. I think Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than Charles ever did. He didn't enjoy it apparently.
That's correct, they both went to Gourdonstoun.

I also think Louise and James won't go there; I think Louise (and possibly James) will attend a day school that's near to them. It's possible that James could attend another boarding school- like others here I'm thinking that he could go to Eton and Sunningdale (I'm not sure if it's primary and secondary; I think it's just primary) sprung to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
So is Lady Louise a boarder at St. George?

The children of Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece are also attended or have attended Garden House in London. And Olympia, their eldest daughter just graduated from Queen's Gate in South Kensington.
Apologies for not getting back to your question in time (I see it's already been answered).

I didn't know that Marie-Chantal and Pavlos's children are attending Garden House as well. I wonder if Margarita has met them. I remember reading somewhere that the Duchess of Cornwall used to go to Queen's Gate like Maria Olympia.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank