Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Via an old Instagram bio, I discovered that Margarita Armstrong-Jones is currently attending St. Mary's School in Ascot. I was also looking at their website for a friend, and she was also mentioned in an online newsletter, so I would think that means its official that she goes there. Pupils from Garden House (where she used to attend) usually go onto St. Mary's.

As her account is private, I hope I'm not breaking the rules here as I know sometimes posts containing information from personal social media accounts of the royals are deleted (though it's my understanding that mainly applies for photos?). Arthur Chatto has a public account on Instagram, so it's quite easy to find people like his brother Samuel as well as Margarita via his follower lists.

I am surprised she goes to St Mary's as it's a Roman Catholic school and Viscount Linley is not Catholic as he is still in the line of succession. Lady Marina-Charlotte and Lady Amelia went to St Mary's as well. Garden House is probably a feeder school for St Mary's in Ascot. I know Lady Helen's daughters went to Garden House too but not sure where they are now. They may be at Gordonstoun as that is where Helen attended.

It's likely Louise will go to Marlborough College where Eugenie and Catherine went, whereas James is likely to go to Eton as that is currently where the Chatto brothers go/went, or perhaps Harrow.

Last edited:
:previous: I was surprised too, but I read that girls from Garden House traditionally go to St. Mary's afterwards, so I guess Margarita is just following that tradition. :flowers: IIRC Princess Caroline of Monaco went there too, and I remember reading that the Duchess of Lugo's daughter goes there, but I'm not sure if it's St. Mary's. She defiantly goes to a private boarding school in England though.

It's possible that Louise will go to Marlborough. The Duchess of Cambridge and her sister Pippa also went there (but of course she wasn't royal when she was a pupil), and it's also been the school of British comedians Miranda Hart and Jack Whitehall. Jack Whitehall said in one of his tours that he remembers having a crush on Catherine when she was in Sixth Form. :D

^^ Victoria apparently spent a year at St Mary's as her mum and Cristina both spent a year at St Mary's. Caroline I believe spent a year as well.

I can't see any other school option for Louise except for perhaps St George's in Ascot where her cousin Beatrice, as well as Lady Rose and Lady Davina (Duke of Gloucester's girls) went. I believe Beatrice and Eugenie went to separate schools as I think Beatrice struggled at school with dyslexia so remained in the same school.

Gordonstoun could be an option for James and Louise as Edward and his brothers of course went there (as did Peter, Zara and Lady Helen) but it's very far away.

So many of the British royals have gone to Eton that it makes sense for James to go if he is able to (William, Harry, Earl of Ulster, Duke of Gloucester, Prince William of Gloucester, Earl of St Andrew's, Lord Downpatrick to name a few!) I believe Charles, Andrew and Edward would have gone to Eton also but Philip put his foot down and decided they would go to Gordonstoun.

^^Interesting that so far it's only been Anne's kids besides Lady Helen who have gone to Gordonstoun. It wasn't co-ed in her school years but IMO she would have likely flourished there if it had been. I'm speculating that her brothers didn't want their children to attend their alma mater for various reasons.

With Windsor being close to Baghot Park I can see why Eton would be considered for James.

It's likely Louise will go to Marlborough College where Eugenie and Catherine went, whereas James is likely to go to Eton as that is currently where the Chatto brothers go/went, or perhaps Harrow.

I think that Louise is more likely to go to St George's as then she won't have to board and I am not sure that Edward and Sophie want to send her away to school.

^^Interesting that so far it's only been Anne's kids besides Lady Helen who have gone to Gordonstoun. It wasn't co-ed in her school years but IMO she would have likely flourished there if it had been. I'm speculating that her brothers didn't want their children to attend their alma mater for various reasons.

Prince Charles has made no secret of his loathing for Gordonstoun; perhaps his brothers weren't keen either?

Apparently Andrew and Edward didn't mind it as much as Charles but perhaps it had changed since Charles had been there. Philip, Charles and Edward were all appointed as Guardians (prefect) during their time at the school so can't have been that bad for them. Anne was disappointed she could not attend hence why she sent Peter and Zara there.

Reading the CC over the years what I have found interesting is that Anne is the one who is most connected with Gordonstoun. I don't remember reading anything about Charles, Andrew or Edward doing anything to help the school. Anne and Philip are listed regularly as doing something for the school. Andrew visits Canada at least once a year to support Lakeland School there - where he went for two terms and he also is involved in events in the UK for Lakeland School while Charles has attended events associated with Geelong Grammar - the school in Australia he attended for two terms.

Wasn't there something in the news awhile back about certain royal families paying for their sons to get into Sandhurst?? I wonder why non of them ever come to the United States to go to West Point or other military schools here. They would have more privacy and a chance to be a little normal for awhile before they have to go home to duties and the press.

Time would be a big part of it.

I believe that West Point is a four year course including a degree whereas Sandhurst is only a military academy and so is only 44 weeks of military training.

William, for instance went to St Andrew's for 4 years before going to Sandhurst while Harry skipped uni and went straight to Sandhurst after taking a nearly 2 year gap year.

That means that they can get their degrees somewhere else and do their military training at a world class institution instead of having to combine the two.

The course at Sandhurst is much shorter (44 weeks) than West Point where it's 4 years at a university.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Apparently Andrew and Edward didn't mind it as much as Charles but perhaps it had changed since Charles had been there. Philip, Charles and Edward were all appointed as Guardians (prefect) during their time at the school so can't have been that bad for them.

I know Charles has compared his time at that school to a prison sentence.

That is one reason why he was so amenable to Diana's wish to send their sons to Eton, he didn't want them going to Gordonstoun because he was miserable there.

I wonder why Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than their older brother...different temperaments probably had a lot to do with it.

Why just those few schools? Are there no other schools in the neighbourhood? Do all the children in the villages/towns where they live go to Eton, Gordonstoun etc?

Why just those few schools? Are there no other schools in the neighbourhood? Do all the children in the villages/towns where they live go to Eton, Gordonstoun etc?

There are lots of private schools in the area but the Royals tend to stick with tradition and the aforementioned schools tend to be the favoured ones.

Wasn't there something in the news awhile back about certain royal families paying for their sons to get into Sandhurst?? I wonder why non of them ever come to the United States to go to West Point or other military schools here. They would have more privacy and a chance to be a little normal for awhile before they have to go home to duties and the press.

To attend any of the U.S. military academies (except the Coast Guard), you must have a Congressional appointment. You must also prepare for attendance during your second year of high school. Yes, on a case-by-case basis, foreign students are accepted, but I'm not sure of that process.

Harry would never have made it into Sandhurst had he not been who he is. I believe, and this could have changed, that passing out is not on individual merit, but class merit. If most of your class makes it, you make it too, even if your work was sub-par.

Last edited:
There are lots of private schools in the area but the Royals tend to stick with tradition and the aforementioned schools tend to be the favoured ones.

And what about the normal public schools?

Royal Life At School

I wonder how young royal are treated in school. What do students, teachers, and administrators call them, and treat them?

Congratulations on your first post. :flowers:

Well, in Denmark they are treated like any other children. I.e. Christian and Isabella, rather than Prince Christian and Princess Isabella.
So apart from having "anonymous looking uncles" hanging around at the school they basically can't be told apart from the other children.

Last edited:
Congratulations of your first post. :flowers:

Well, in Denmark they are treated like any other child. I.e. Christian and Isabella, rather than Prince Christian and Princess Isabella.
So apart from having "anonymous looking uncles" hanging around at the school they basically can be told apart from the other children.

^^^ That made me chuckle.

I think at school is the once place the children, particularly when they are young, can feel relatively normal (apart from the bullet proof windows which Edward joked about at his room at Cambridge University. "Want to find my room? Just look for the bullet proof windows!")

And at least the press leaves them alone (a part form the first day of school photoshoot)

It has educated everyone from the Duchess of Cambridge, her sister and Samantha Cameron to posh comedian Jack Whitehall and now Marlborough College has just been named as the best private school in the West.

Pupils at the £34,000 a year school in Wiltshire achieved the highest points total average in their GCSEs of any fee-paying school in the region, but only one school from the region made it into the top 50 ranked private schools in the country – and that was at number 50.

Marlborough College's class of 2015 averaged a creditable 556.66 points in their GCSEs, the highest of any in the West. Points are achieved for exam results, meaning Marlborough's pupils got the most GCSE passes at the highest grades of any school in the West.

The school is one of the most expensive in the region, and has an alumni packed with famous figures from politics, law, the media and sciences.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge and Pippa Middleton's Marlborough College named best West private school | Western Daily Press

I'm hoping for Marlborough College for the same reason. Its a top school and Eton was choosen for William because that's where Spencer men attend
A lot of royal firsts with William were because that's what Diana wanted. William and Catherine can make their own decisions.

Last edited:
The Kents and Gloucester men went to Eton too. William wouldn't not have been sent to Eton if Charles didn't hate Gordonstoun. If he liked it, William and Harry would have been sent there but since he hated it, he was opened to them going to Eton.

William appears to like his time at Eton. Plus it location would be ideal for George to visit the monarch (either his grandfather or father) to learn how to be King. Just like William would spend Sundays with the Queen when he was at Eton by walking over to Windsor castle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I want to ask if anyone here knows which royals have a PhD degree? It would be fun to see all the academic degrees every royal has...

I want to ask if anyone here knows which royals have a PhD degree? It would be fun to see all the academic degrees every royal has...

According to Wikipedia:
Princess Claire of Luxembourg (born Claire Margareta Lademacher on 21 March 1985) is a German bioethics researcher currently pursuing a doctorate in the field of organ donation ethics at Pontifical Athenaeum Regina Apostolorum. She is married to Prince Felix, the second son of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg.

Back
Top Bottom