The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Why do you think that The Crown Princess of Norway would not be appointed Regent for her daughter should the unfortunate occasion arise?
It would probably have to do with the fact that Princess Martha Louise is in the line of succession whereas Princess Mette-Marit isn't. The Duke of Gloucester (father of the present Duke) was Regent Designate for Princess Elizabeth between her father's accession and her 18th birthday; her mother the Queen Consort was not. I believe the Queen Consort was one of the Counsellors of State for King George (and also for Elizabeth II) but she wasn't Regent Designate. I'm not sure about this, but I think Princess Margaret was Regent Designate for Prince Charles for a while, although Prince Philip took over the position at some point.

Old 06-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Welcome to the forum, by the way, Larry! Hope you enjoy being here.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Hi Elspeth and Empress Rouge,

Thanks for the information on this convaluted question. I'm sure Martha Louise would be very well qualified in any case, and I have nothing against her. It's just that I always thought the mother automatically became regent.
I didn't know that The Queen Mother was not picked for Princess Elizabeth. You learn something new every day!!!

And, thanks for the welcome.

Larry
Old 06-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
Given Norway, like most other European kingdoms, are constitutional monarchies, MM just wouldn't automatically be regent. It would have to go through government approval. Say the Parliament doesn't find MM appropriate to regent, and ML better suited, they'll do that. Such was the case w/ Russia. After Tsar Nicholas II abdicated, the next in line for the throne would have been Tsaravich Alexei. People thought his sister Grand Duchess Olga would have been made regent in such a case, as Empress Alexandra was hirely unpopular in Russia (as we know from history, none of this happened). But in all likelyhood, this situation would not happen in Norway either.
Many people question the legality of the succession in Russia. When Nicholas abdicated, he did so for himself and for his son, which he had no right to do. According to Russian law, Nicholas only had the power to abdicate for himself. But given the extreme circumstances of the time, I don't think people cared any more about preserving their traditional succession.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Laurentien Brinkhorst was created Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau with the qualification of Royal Highness by Queen Beatrix. Marilene was created Princess Marilene of Orange-Nassau, Highness, on her marriage to Prince Maurits, and Annette was created a Princess of the same style and qualification on her marriage to Prince Bernhard.
Yes it is a nice gesture of the queen (or is that the tradition of Netherland royal family?) to give royal title to the new inlaw. I think only Mabel wisse smith doesn't have her own royal title.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Mabel's title

Quote:
Originally Posted by galuhcandrakirana
I think only Mabel Wisse Smit doesn't have her own Royal title.
Yes, Mabel bears the title "Princess of Orange-Nassau" by virtue of her marriage.

Poor Johan Friso, he has been expunged from the official Dutch Royal House web-site. He is only mentioned as one of the sons of the Queen, with a year of birth, and nothing further. But as he is no longer a member of the Royal House he is almost a non-person (in terms of the site). His photo has gone too; very Stalinist.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Majesty

what would be the definition for Royal Dowagers
Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

A dowager is part of the title given to the widow of a peer, or other royal/aristocrat when their husband dies and their son succeeds to the title and is married.

Say you have the Duke of Amsterdam and his wife is called the Duchess of Amsterdam. Presume that they also have a son who is married. When the Duke of Amsterdam dies, his son and the sons wife become the new Duke and Duchess, and the old Duchess becomes the Dowager Duchess of Amsterdam. If the son is not married the mother will continue to be called the Duchess of Amsterdam until her son marries, at which time she will become the Dowager Duchess, but only by courtesy. She is automatically the dowager Duchess on her husbands death.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Majesty

so who is or were the recent dowager.
i would say Fabiola? but she does not have that title
Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Not all countries use the term. It is more prevalent in England than in other countries. It is also more of a historical term, and more used to differentiate between a current and past (still living) bearer of a title.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Majesty

I think that in sweden the queens were called Dowager Queen, Änke Drottning
Old 06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Courtier

What about Denmark? If CP Frederick was to die, would Queen Margrethe become Regent for Prince Christian, or would CP Mary become Regent?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Majesty

Queen Margrethe will be queen until she dies, she can never be Regent for Prince Christian
Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Aristocracy

Presumably Margrethe would have died before Frederik, but hopefully not for a long time, of course! Mary seems loved enough in Denmark, but let's hope Christian comes of age before he has to rule.

Also, if I remember correctly, Queen Catherine de' Medici (wife of King Henri II) and Mary, Queen of Scots were both Dowager Queens of France after the death of Catherine's son and Mary's first husband, Francis II. Mary was only 16 at the time, too.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

In Spain Letizia would become regent until Leonor's 18 birhtday. I belive it is regulated in the very constitution. I think it's a good thing these things are arranged but let's hope none of our countries will ever need any of it. Imagine having to be king or queen at 18
Old 05-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Aristocracy

Martha Louise cant be regent bc she gave up her right for the throne when she got married by her own choice i thought
Old 05-18-2008, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbevb View Post
Martha Louise cant be regent bc she gave up her right for the throne when she got married by her own choice i thought
No Märtha Louise is still in line of sucession as are her daughters. She gave up her HRH on 01.02.2002 but it was not because of the Wedding it was because of her business.

Royal Travel and Events