Royal Divorce

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sara1981

Heir Apparent
City
North Little Rock
Country
United States
I makes thread about Royals Divorces about Prince and Princess of Wales and lots of more of non-British Royals who will be Divorces soon!

Prince Charles and Princess Diana of Wales Split in December 1992 and divorces in August 1996

Prince Andrew,Duke of York and Sarah,Duchess of York Split in 1992 and divorces in August 1996

Princess Anne and Mark Phillips im not sure what years split? and divorces years?

maybe have more about non-british Royals who have divorces?

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandria will plans have Split and divorces both would have it like Prince and Princess of Wales have it!

I never heard about Prince Felipe would plans divorces to Letizia because she is Crown Princess of Austria! she is divorces before she met Felipe

Sara Boyce

Sara

I hope it is a bit early to be speculating about a divorce between Felipe and Letizia!

And let's pretend her first marriage never happened because it was a civil ceremony and not a religious one. So in the eyes of Catholic Spain, it doesn't exist. Easy!

W

Why would there be discussion of the Prince and Princess of Asturias divorcing? Letizia is divorced. However, her first marriage was a civil marriage so the Church does not recognize it.

Two of Queen Beatrix's sisters are divorced: Princesses Irene and Christina are both divorced from their husbands (though this happened some decades ago).

And Princess Irene's daughter Princess Magarita is in the process of a divorce with her husband Edwin.

Princesses Caroline and Stephanie are divorced.

Prince Andrew and Princess Anne

when u people get a divorce they are most likely to take their problems from their 1st marriage to their next and will most likely get divorice again. because unstead of settleing their problems its easier to get divorce and avoid the problem all together.

princess alexandra of denmark & prince Jochim are getting divorced...soo sad
princess caroline i think divorced & then anulled her marraige with her first husband philpe
Princess Stephanie divorced twice Daniel Ducret and Hans adans
Isn't Princess anne seperated from her husband Timothy Lawrence?
I thought someone in princess Beatrix's family was getting divorced - princess margariet

Maybe someone can get my facts straight for me

Princess Caroline´s first marriage was annulled. It was the marriage with Philippe Junot. Caroline´s second marriage with Stephano casiraghi ended dramatically when he died in 1990. Now, she is married with Ernst August.

Princess Stephanie´s marriage to Daniel Ducruet was divorced and haer last marriage with Adans Lopez was also divorced.

Princess Anne isn´t serarated form Timothy Lawrence who is her second husband. There has been rumours but is nothing cinfirmed yet. But she is divorced form Mark Philipps the father of her two children.

beatrix two sisters are divorced: Irene and Christina. Magriet is the other daughter and she is not divorced but Princess Margaritha will get divorced. She is Irene´s daughter.

Josefine said:
what about royals from the past

Some of Henry VIII wives were divorced from him, if not divorced then beheaded. It seemed like marriage and divorce was just a game for Henry

how about swedish royals we have the one that lost there prince titles prince bertils brothers

from the past:

Princess Marianne of The Netherlands and Prince Albrecht of Prussia were divored (she had an affair with the cariage-driver)

King Willem III of The Netherlands and Queen Sophie of The Netherlands, nee Princess of Wurttemberg were seperated (not divorced).

Warren said:
Sara

And let's pretend her first marriage never happened because it was a civil ceremony and not a religious one. So in the eyes of Catholic Spain, it doesn't exist. Easy!

W

I recently heard that the Spanish king was advised by the church to not attend Haakon and MM's wedding due to her status as a single mother. Any idea how the F&L match was given approval then.

capricorninin said:
I recently heard that the Spanish king was advised by the church to not attend Haakon and MM's wedding due to her status as a single mother. Any idea how the F&L match was given approval then.

Your joking , if that is true that is so "bad"
double standards or what!!

From the past her in Denmark:

As far as i can tell i can se in the genealogical table for King Frederik 8. (he was an Oldenborg) he was married 2 times and divorced 1 time.

Princess Anne and Mark Phillips seperated in 1989 and divorced in the spring of 1992. Anne went on to marry Tim Laurence in December 1992 in Scotland. The Princess Royal and Rear Admiral Laurence are not seperated in has been a rumour that has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II's cousin George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood divorced his first wife Marion Stein in 1967.

how about swedish royals we have the one that lost there prince titles prince bertils brothers

Beril's brother Sigvard. He was married 3 times, divorced twice. He gained the title Count of Wisborg during his second marriage. You see his widow Marianne, Countess of Wisborg at royal weddings and such.

Another count of Wisborg, Lennart (grandson of Gustav V through his 2nd son) also divorced the commoner he gave up his succession for. He was married to his second wife when he died.

The other two counts of Wisborg remained married to their commoner brides. Beril and Sigvard's brother Count Johan (died is 2012) was married twice, widowed the first time, and his second wife is still alive. Oscar Berndotte, son of Oscar II, married the lady in waiting of his sister in law Victoria of Baden. They remained married as well till death, and were the parents of Count Folke among others.

King Henry VIII must hold the title for the most royal divorces. To form your own religion and church just to obtain a divorce was a blatantly bold move against the Holy See back in the day. He must have been such a pleasant person to be around and people must have felt blessed to be in his presence. ;)???

At four divorces yeah he would be hard to beat. Back in those days they tended to just keep mistresses and not bother with divorces.

Louis VII divorced his first 2 wives (first being Eleanor of Aquitane) and tried to divorce his third Adela but died before he did.

His son Philip II had an interesting second marriage. After his first wife died he married Ingeborg of Denmark but he suddenly decided on their wedding night he didn't want to be married. He tried claiming they hadn't consummated but Ingeborg staunchly argued they had and the church supported her. He also tried to claim they were cousins, which was disproven. It took years for him to get an annulment.

Louis XI may have only divorced/annuelled one but his annulment could rival any modern scandal. Failing on other grounds, he claimed his wife was hideously malformed and was unable to bed her. And further that she performed witch craft. She had witnesses to prove he was wrong, but the Pope had more to gain from supporting the king and granted it. His wife would later be canonized.

Louis VII divorced his first 2 wives (first being Eleanor of Aquitane) ...

His son Philip II had an interesting second marriage. After his first wife died he married Ingeborg of Denmark but he suddenly decided on their wedding night he didn't want to be married. He tried claiming they hadn't consummated but Ingeborg staunchly argued they had and the church supported her. He also tried to claim they were cousins, which was disproven. It took years for him to get an annulment. ..
Actually I don't think Philip II ever managed to have his marriage to Ingeborg of Denmark annulled. Despite keeping her locked away and Philip II's repeated attempts to annul the marriage and the fact that he 'married' Agnes of Merania in 1196, and had children by Agnes, the Pope refused to annul Phillip II's marriage to Ingeborg, and ultimately forced Philip II to put aside Agnes and recognize Ingeborg as his wife in 1200, but Philip II reneged. Agnes died in 1201, and finally in 1213, Philip II recognized Ingeborg as his wife.
The fascinating part of the whole saga was that Agnes was not Philip's first choice to replace Ingeborg - his bride was supposed to be Margaret of Geneva, but on her way to her wedding to Philip II in 1195, Thomas of Savoy kidnapped her claiming Philip wasn't free to marry as he was still married to Ingeborg.
Thomas of Savoy married Margaret of Geneva himself and they had 14 children. Their daughter Beatrice of Savoy was the mother of 4 Queens, including Queen Margaret of France (wife of Louis IX) and Queen Eleanor of England (wife of Henry III.)

Last edited:
Louis VII divorced his first 2 wives (first being Eleanor of Aquitane)
Louis VII didn't divorce his second wife Constance of Castile, as she died giving birth to her second daughter Alys. The king waited just five weeks before getting remarried.
Louis XI may have only divorced/annuelled one but his annulment could rival any modern scandal. Failing on other grounds, he claimed his wife was hideously malformed and was unable to bed her. And further that she performed witch craft. She had witnesses to prove he was wrong, but the Pope had more to gain from supporting the king and granted it. His wife would later be canonized.
Louis XI was the father of Joan of Valois, who later became canonized, her husband was Louis XII, whose third wife was Mary Tudor, sister of Henry VIII.

Two other marriages that ended in divorce in the French royal history are the ill-fated marriage between Henry (IV) of Navarre and Margaret of Valois, the daughter of Catherine de Medici, and sister to three French kings. Their wedding festivities are most known for the St Bartholomew's Days Massacre.

The second marriage ending in a divorce was between Napoleon Bonaparte and his first wife Joséphine de Beauharnais, his second marriage with Marie Louise of Austria ended with separation, not a divorce.

Since Henri IV became a Catholic I'd assume his marriage to Marguerite de Valois was annulled, not ended in divorce.

"The map of royal divorces in Europe:eek:nly Belgium is saved" so far at least!!

https://translate.googleusercontent...18818/&usg=ALkJrhiWPPxQI3tzu681DcNkQzsORPLZbg

I find it strange that they include Sweden here. Not because I think that divorces in the royal family couldn't happen here, but there hasn't been any, at least not in the current royal family. They bring up the case of princess Birgitta (the king's sister). She and her husband never divorced. They lived separate lives the last years until his death a year ago, but were never formally divorced and - as I understand it - were on friendly and speaking terms with eachother.

"The map of royal divorces in Europe:eek:nly Belgium is saved" so far at least!!

https://translate.googleusercontent...18818/&usg=ALkJrhiWPPxQI3tzu681DcNkQzsORPLZbg

That is not correct. Princess Louise of Belgium divorced from Prince Philipp von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, Duke of Kohary, after affairs with the Dutch nobleman Daniel Baron d’Ablaing van Giessenburg, then the Austrian-Hungarian nobleman Nikolaus Baron Döry de Jobahaza, before she finally felt for the Croatian nobleman Geza Count von Mattachich-Keglevich.

It became THE scandal of the fin-de-siècle and the Princess was even placed in jail (!) and a psychiatric hospital. Anyway, Princess Louise indeed divorced Prince Philipp von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, Duke of Kohary, with disastrous consequences. Her ex-husband, humiliated before the eye of tout Almanach de Gotha swore revenge and stalked his ex-spouse and her new husband with bailiffs. In 1924 Princess Louise, daughter of one of the wealthiest men on Earth ever, once sister to an Empress of Austria, once sister to a Princess Bonaparte, once niece to an Empress of Mexico, died in unimagineable bitter, bitter poverty in Wiesbaden, Germany.

Last edited:

There has also be a divorce in the belgian RF. Princess Marie-Christine the half-sister of Kings Baudouin I. and Albert II. was divorced from her first husband after a short marriage.
But in the Princely Family of Liechtenstein there has been no divorce in the close Family when looking at the descendants of the late Fürst Franz Josef and Fürstin Gina). There have been divorces in some of the other many branches of the Family however.

Last edited:
Duc , I read a book about her life , She had bad and stupid provocation behaviours .

In the five Catholic Royal Families they are divorces.
Infanta Elena and nearly all the Children of Infanta Pilar divorced.
Liechtenstein : Prince Alexander and Princess Maria Pia of Savoie
The highlight is Monaco on several Generations :
Princess Charlotte,
Princess Antoinette 2x
Princess Caroline , Princess Stepanie 2x.

Last edited:
Also here the question pops up: what is the Royal House and what is not? Can you file the divorce of Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme (granddaughter of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands) from Mr Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn under "Dutch monarchy"? For me that is a divorce in the House of Bourbon-Parma.

So there were three divorces in the Dutch Royal House in total:

HRH Princess Marianne of the Netherlands - HRH Prince Albrecht of Prussia

HRH Princess Irene of the Netherlands - HRH Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme

HRH Princess Christina of the Netherlands - Mr Jorge Pérez de Guillermo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom