Royal Divorce

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are always coming back with your "Oranje Boven".
I mentionned the five ROMAN CATHOLIC Monarchies.

In the five Catholic Royal Families they are divorces.
Infanta Elena and nearly all the Children of Infanta Pilar divorced.
[...]

I do not count the children of the Infanta Doña Pilar as members of the Spanish royal family but as members of the family Gómez-Acebo. Three of the five childen of the Infanta Doña Pilar are divorced indeed.

Doña Letizia Ortiz herself was divorced too.

You are always coming back with your "Oranje Boven".
I mentionned the five ROMAN CATHOLIC Monarchies.

Excuse me, from Queen Juliana's descendants there are 21 Catholics. And there are no "Roman-Catholic monarchies". As far as I know Spain, Luxembourg, Belgium and Monaco are strictly secular states without any state church, unlike the United Kingdom or -until recently- Scandinavian monarchies.
:whistling:

Last edited:
Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn's divorce is a 1st I believe for the Norwegian RF.

I find it strange that they include Sweden here. Not because I think that divorces in the royal family couldn't happen here, but there hasn't been any, at least not in the current royal family. They bring up the case of princess Birgitta (the king's sister). She and her husband never divorced. They lived separate lives the last years until his death a year ago, but were never formally divorced and - as I understand it - were on friendly and speaking terms with eachother.
There have been several divorces in the Bernadotte af Wisborg family but never a divorce in the Royal family itself. There has been some flawed marriages but no divorce yet.

Princess Brigitta and Prince Johann of Hohenzollern did seperate but never divorced as did her sister Princess Margaretha & John Ambler.

Also here the question pops up: what is the Royal House and what is not? Can you file the divorce of Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme (granddaughter of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands) from Mr Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn under "Dutch monarchy"? For me that is a divorce in the House of Bourbon-Parma.

So there were three divorces in the Dutch Royal House in total:

HRH Princess Marianne of the Netherlands - HRH Prince Albrecht of Prussia

HRH Princess Irene of the Netherlands - HRH Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme

HRH Princess Christina of the Netherlands - Mr Jorge Pérez de Guillermo

Strictly speaking it were divorces in the Royal Family I would say.
In the Netherlands we have a Royal House and a Royal Family. All members of the Royal House are also member of the Royal Family, but not every member of the Royal Family is also member of the Royal House.

By marrying without consent of the Dutch Government Princess Irene and Princess Christina lost their membership of the Royal House. They are only members of the Royal Family. So there divorces cannot count as divorces in the Royal House but they are divorces in the Royal Family.

Whether Princess Marianne was a member of the Royal House I cannot say by hart so strictly speaking, I think that we only can say the three above mentioned divorces were in the Royal Family not in the Royal House.

On the website of Royal House of the Netherlands they mention who the members of the Royal Family are. They mention all four daughters of Queen Juliana and their children and grandchildren. So the divorce of Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme could be placed in the list.
You could say that it is a divorce in the House of Bourbon-Parma I agree, but we all have a mother and I father. And therefore belong to two families.?

Louis I, Margrave of Brandenburg from 1323 to 1351 and as Duke Louis V of Bavaria from 1347 until 1361, married Margaret, Countess of Tyrol in 1342. They were divorced in 1349.

Incorrect John Henry, Margrave of Moravia married Margaret, Countess of Tyrol and that union ended in divorce in 1349.Margaret went onto marry Louis V, Duke of Bavaria whom she outlived.

Actually Margaret was technically a bigamist. While her and John Henry were not divorced until 1349, she married Louis in 1342. She claimed the marriage was not consummated, married as kids, and living apart. Her and Louis were excommunicated due to the marriage.

Her first marriage was only dissolved when John Henry sought to remarry. His brother Charles IV saw the marriage dissolved so John could have papal blessing to marry. At the time of the actual divorce Margaret was remarried for seven years. And she indeed outlived Louis as well as their son.

In fact their son who died two years after his father was born in 1344. His marriage of Margaret of Austria made the couples allies of the Hapdburgs. The Hspaburgs helped Margaret and Louis clear their excommunication two years before Louis died.

Last edited:
Rita Hayworth and Prince Aly Khan divorced in 1953.

Rita and Aly's daughter PrincessYasmin Aga Khan married Basil Embiricos in 1985 and they divorced in 1987, she remarried her second husband Christopher Michael Jeffries in 1989 and they divorced in 1993.

Princess Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine and Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse and by Rhine waited until their grandmother Queen Victoria's demise to divorce.

In fact their son who died two years after his father was born in 1344. His marriage of Margaret of Austria made the couples allies of the Hapdburgs. The Hspaburgs helped Margaret and Louis clear their excommunication two years before Louis died.

Let's just say that the Habsburgs did not help without greater gain in sight: when Margaret's son Meinhard died, she moved to Vienna and gave Tyrolia to the Habsburgs. She never came back, died in her palace in Vienna soon after.

Princess Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine and Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse and by Rhine waited until their grandmother Queen Victoria's demise to divorce.

Not just opposition from her grandmother, Ernst was against it as well. When her grandmother died he was opposed to giving his wife a divorce. Until her death from typhoid, their daughter would split half the year between each parent. Victoria ended all connection to Hesse after her daughter's death.

It is said Ernest Louis was homosexual. She reportedly caught him with a servant when returning from a visit to her sister.

Her second marriage to GD Kiril was much happier. He was her cousin as well, but on her mother's side (her mother was the elder sister of his father, both children of Alexander II). Unfortunately their marriage faced great opposition on Kyril's side due to her being divorced. Tsarina Alexandra was not only her cousin but her former sister in law and completely opposed to Victoria marrying Kiril. After almost dying though in a naval battle Kiril had been determined to marry her. They married only with her mother, sister Beatrice and a friend in attendance. Their Uncle Grand Duke Alexei was invited but he arrived after the ceremony was done. Nicholas II stripped Kiril of all of his positions and ranks in response, and the couple lived in Paris on an income supplied by their parents. He would be restored to his titles in 1910 when deaths in the family led him to be third in line to the throne.

Kiril was unfaithful to her which she learned in 1933 though she kept up the image of happiness for her children, until she died 3 years later.

The couple had three children and 15 grandchildren.

Ernest Louis would remarry as well. His second wife was Princess Eleonore of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich. He married her in 1905. She bore him two sons. Their son George Donatus was married to the Duke of Edinburgh's sister Cecilie. Unfortunately George Donatus would die shortly after his father, with his wife and sons in an airplane crash.

Despite his two sons from his second marriage, Ernest Louis had no grandchildren who reached adulthood. His granddaughter Joanna died died at age three. His second son Louis never had children with his wife, and adopted his cousin Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse, as heir.

Last edited:
Her second marriage to GD Kiril was much happier. He was her cousin as well, but on her mother's side (her mother was the elder sister of his father, both children of Alexander II). Unfortunately their marriage faced great opposition on Kyril's side due to her being divorced. Tsarina Alexandra was not only her cousin but her former sister in law and completely opposed to Victoria marrying Kiril.
It wasn't just Alix who was against the marriage of Kyril and Ducky - the Russian Orthodox Church forbade marriage between first cousins.

Back
Top Bottom