Royal Crypts and Burial Places

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What can you tell me about the Peter and Paul Fortress and the Romanovs buried their any pics??

Thank you I Find this all rather interesting

bct88 said:
Where exactly is the crypt in the Cathedral of Our Lady in Luxembourg? Is it 'downstairs' like in Delft? And, are there large stairs (if it is downstairs) like in Delft where we see the coffin being brought to the crypt, or are the stairs 'hidden' (in the back or another place)?

I was in the crypt a few years ago. Below the sanctuary and High Altar there is a chapel which is used for daily Mass. It is entered by an outside door at the back of the cathedral (though I suppose there must also be an entrance from inside.) At the back of the chapel is the royal crypt. If I remember correctly, the coffins lie on shelves and can be seen throught metal gates.

If you are interested in where British royals are buried both in St. Georges Chapel and at the royal cemetery at Frogmore see this site: www.stgeorges-windsor.org. Once on the site go to history and then click on royal connection. Good luck.

Australian said:
homepage.mac.com/ crowns/dk/avgal.html

Check this site out, its a great site, it has all the Danish sovereigns tombs. Its worth a look

It's truly an excellent site.

I remember visiting Roskilde Cathedral one summer when I was fairly young. I was a bit creeped out by all the "coffins", but fairly intrigued by Margrete I's, as it had a statue lying on top of it.

About Spanish sovereigns not all of them are buried at El Escorial, for example the Catholic Kings are buried at The Royal Chapel in Granada:
©ARB
This contain remains of Queen Isabella I the Catholic of Castile (†1504), King Philip I the Fair of Castile (†1506), King Ferdinand II (V) the Catholic of Aragon and Castile (†1516) and Queen Joan the Mad of Castile (†1555).
Almost all Kings of Spain since Charles I (+1558) have been buried in El Escorial, with the exceptions of : Ferdinand VI (+1759) buried at the Church of Saint Barbara in Madrid, Philip V(the first Borbon monarch of Spain +1746) buried at the Granja San Idelfonso Monastery and Amadeo di Savoy-Aosta (+1890) buried at the Basilica di Superga in Torino

The Dutch Sovereigns are buried at the New Church (Delft, De Nieuwe Kerk):

Source: mattheus delft
With the exception of Louis Bonaparte (+1846) buried at the SAINT-LEU-LA-FORET, PARISH CHURCH in Paris

Another excellent link : www.royaltyguide.nl. Marianne has done a wonderful
job creating this site. It cover all major european royal houses.

Very Interesting (and ill admit a bit morbid) Is true that The Queen and her Husband plan to be buried At St Georges What about William and Henry Beatrice and Eugenie Zara and Peter Anne, Andrew and Edward ect
Thanks in Advance

If William becomes King he would probably be buried in St. George's Chapel. As for the others more than likely the royal cemetery at Frogmore would be the place although they would be entitled to be buried where ever they chose. As for Beatrice, Eugenie and Zara it would probably depend on who they married as to where they would be buried.

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
The Dutch Sovereigns are buried at the New Church (Delft, De Nieuwe Kerk):
http://s2.supload.com/free/Nieuwe20Kerk20Delft.jpg/view/

Not only the souvereigns, also most stadholders + families are burried there. The older Nassaus can also be found in Leeuwarden or Breda.
Funny story of the reburial of Stadholder Willem V. He died and was buried in England during the napoleontic wwars. Somewhere in the 20th century they reburied him in Delft. Queen Wilhelmina bluntly refused to attend the reburial as she referred to her anscastor as an 'idiot'.

Cathedral on Wawel Hill in Krakow (Cracow, Poland)

- There are tombs of almost all Polish Kings and their wifes from XIV to XVIII century.
- There weren't burial only six Polish Kings like: Ludwik I d'Anjou (king of Hungry and Poland), Władysław III of Varna, Aleksander Jagiellon, Henry III de Valois (King of Poland and France), August III Wettin (Elector of Saxony and King of Poland) and the last Polish King - Stanisław August Poniatowski.

On Cathedral's undergrounds are buried too: Józef Poniatowski, Tadeusz Kosciuszko, Adam Mickiewicz, Józef Pilsudski and Władysław Sikorski.

http://www.wawel.net/wawel_nowy_2.htm

Jim said:
Another excellent link : www.royaltyguide.nl. Marianne has done a wonderful
job creating this site. It cover all major european royal houses.
Great page!
Wow I never thought that so many people are buried in the main church of my hometown:eek:

Seeing as we're on the topic of Royal deaths, here are two pics from Corbis.Com of Prince Rainier and Princess Grace lying in state.

Willem V not buried in England

Marengo said:
Not only the souvereigns, also most stadholders + families are burried there. The older Nassaus can also be found in Leeuwarden or Breda.
Funny story of the reburial of Stadholder Willem V. He died and was buried in England during the napoleontic wwars. Somewhere in the 20th century they reburied him in Delft. Queen Wilhelmina bluntly refused to attend the reburial as she referred to her anscastor as an 'idiot'.

Prince Willem V was buried in Braunschweig (near Hannover, Germany) and after more than 150 years reburied in Delft.

:)

Henri M. said:
Prince Willem V was buried in Braunschweig (near Hannover, Germany) and after more than 150 years reburied in Delft.

:)

True, he died while he was visiting his daughter Louise (and was burried there). Slip of the pen, I think. He lived in London for a while before he settled at Schloss Oranienstein, Dietz.

I was just on the find a grave website looking at some Romanovs, and had to comment on the fabulous tombs of Tsar Alexander II and his wife. They are made out of some fancy stone, perhaps a type of gemstone, since I know Russia is famous for them. They really are worth a look!

Are there any photos of the inside of King George V1 Memorial Chapel on line? I've seen some in Majesty Magazine but can't seem to find any on the internet

Now I know that some BRF royals are buried at windsor castle but who is buried a frogmore, mostly Queen Victoria's family right? Oh and Westminster also have some royals buried there.
I also know that Danish royals buried at Roskilde and the Spanish royals at el Escorial

Last edited:
How have I missed this thread!

Are there any photos of the inside of King George V1 Memorial Chapel on line? I've seen some in Majesty Magazine but can't seem to find any on the internet

There are a few pictures in the internet; this is the best one I have found:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t81/sef127/Tombs/georgevi_memorialchapel.jpg

And here is a video about the dedication service of the King George VI Memorial Chapel, which take place in 1969; the interiors of the chapel can bee seen:
GEORGE VI MEMORIAL CHAPEL. - British Pathe

Now I know that some BRF royals are buried at windsor castle but who is buried a frogmore, mostly Queen Victoria's family right? Oh and Westminster also have some royals buried there.
I also know that Danish royals buried at Roskilde and the Spanish royals at el Escorial

In this video you can see the internment of Queen Ingrid beside her husband grave, outside of Roskilde. Go to last video sequence of the funeral for the internment.

Begravelse - Dronning Ingrid - dr.dk/Bonanza

The remains of Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain were recently transfered to the Panteón de Reyes at El Escorial.

Back
Top Bottom