Royal Cousins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acdc1

Heir Presumptive
City
somewhere in
Country
United States
Are there any pictures of royal cousins together? This can be from a long time ago to modern day royals.

Hello Acdc1

If you look well at any royal family tree you will see that there are only cousins amongs royals...
It means that every royal gathering is equal to meeting with family...

Pictures of Royal first and second cousins

Oh, well, yeah that is a good point! Well, How about pictures of royal first and second cousins, removed or not. That should clear things up!

ANP Beeldbank

This picture, from ANP, shows cousins Juan, Froilan, and Pablo visiting their cousin Infanta Sofia. One of the boys, I can't tell if it's Juan or Pablo, has their arm on Froilan's shoulder.

acdc1... The child who has the arm on froilan is Juan!

acdc1... The child who has the arm on froilan is Juan!

Thank you! It could have been either boy, Juan with his left arm around Froilan or Pablo have his right hand on the shoulder. All three cousins, especially the two oldest, seem pretty close.

Those are such sweet pictures. Are they around the same age?

Two of my favorite Princesses. Princess Alexia looks very healthy.

Frederic of Denmark (and his brother) and Victoria of Sweden (and her silblings) are distantley related, 'cause Frederic's grandmother and Victoria's father were silblings.

Really is there any royal family in all of Europe that isn't related to each other somehow?

LaRae

Frederic of Denmark (and his brother) and Victoria of Sweden (and her silblings) are distantley related, 'cause Frederic's grandmother and Victoria's father were silblings.

Victoria's grandfather is the brother of Frederics grandmother, not Victorias father.

They are second cousins (therefore, not so distantly related actually).

Really is there any royal family in all of Europe that isn't related to each other somehow?

LaRae

I believe the Montenegro Royal Family has no traceable relationship to the other royal families of Europe. Although I'm sure if someone did the digging there would be a connection...

The Albanians may also be connection-less.

I believe the Montenegro Royal Family has no traceable relationship to the other royal families of Europe. Although I'm sure if someone did the digging there would be a connection...

The Albanians may also be connection-less.

Montenegrin royal family is related to:

-Italian royal family (King Umberto is Montenegrin descendant)

-Russian Imperial family (male claimant to the Imperial throne is a Montenegrin descendant)

-Bulgarian royal family (King Simeon is Montenegrin descendat)

-Serbian royal family (Kings of Yugoslavia are Montenegrin descendants)

-Bourbon-Parma family

-Hessian family (current head of the family Landgraf Heinrich von Hessen is a Montenegrin descendant)

-Leiningen family

-Leuchtenberg family (8th Duke of Leuchtenberg was Montenegrin descendant)

and many other noble families such as Orlov, Galitzine, Tyskiewicz, Calvi di Bergolo, Farrace di Villaforesta etc.

Members of all those families have descended from the King of Montenegro.

Last edited:
The Monaco royals aren't really related to other European Royal families are they? If they are, it would be from several generations back, I think. (I'm excepting here the marriage of Caroline and Ernst of Hanover.)

Last edited:
The Monaco royals aren't really related to other European Royal families are they? If they are, it would be from several generations back, I think. (I'm excepting here the marriage of Caroline and Ernst of Hanover.)

Prince Albert II of Monaco has descended from Princess Marie von Baden (Duchess of Hamilton) and through her is the closest link to Queen Elizabeth II...

In fact, his father Prince Rainier(father of Albert II) and Queen Elizabeth are 7th cousins due to their common ancestry from Prince Johann Willelm Friso von Nassau-Dietz, Stadholder of the Netherlands and Princess Maria Amalia von Anhalt-Dessau.

Last edited:
Thank you, Marc23. My gosh, it's all very distant though, isn't it, in comparison to most other royal houses (descendants of Queen Victoria and/or King Christian IX of Denmark, plus more recent intermarriage between the Scandinavian Royal families.)

Thank you, Marc23. My gosh, it's all very distant though, isn't it, in comparison to most other royal houses (descendants of Queen Victoria and/or King Christian IX of Denmark, plus more recent intermarriage between the Scandinavian Royal families.)

Well, firstly, Monaco was never a royal house, but only a small Princely one, that rose to prominence only in last 60-70 years due to gambling which means they were already on the bottom of the list for intermarriage with other royal houses.

Second, ruler of Monaco was a product of an illegitimate child(Charlotte was illegitimate child of Prince Louis II with a cabaret singer) who was legitimized only to prevent Monaco passing into the German hands...Dukes of Urach were next in line to succeed in case Charlotte wasn't legitimized...Being born illegitimate is a horror in the eyes of other royal houses, so intermarriage with other royals was almost impossible.

Thirdly, even centuries before Monaco was semi-independent Princely house whose "most royal" intermarriage was with Princess Marie of Lorraine-Armagnac, member of the cadet branch of the House of Lorraine.

Other most recent consorts were either "only noble ladies", like Antoinette de Merode and Lady Victoria Hamilton, stage actresses like Caroline Gibert and Ghislaine Dommanget or rich commoners, like Alice Heine and Grace Kelly...

If you bare in mind all these things, they are not a very good reference if you want to make an alliance with royal houses. In those days it would have been almost impossible.

Even Napoleon III who was an Emperor of the French had troubles finding royal bride. Before Eugenie of Teba, he was turned down by Princess Adelheid von Hohenlohe-Langenburg, a member of the mediatized house, which means that not even mediatized houses didn't want that kind of alliance yet alone with some semi-independent Princely family...

Considering all this, it's not very strange that they are a bit more distantly related with other royal houses.

Last edited:
Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange and Fürst of Nassau-Dietz, Stadtholder of the United Provinces (picture) and his spouse Princess Marie Luise, Landgravine of Hessen-Kassel (picture) are the most recent common ancestors to all currently reigning European monarchs.

Last edited:
Victoria's grandfather is the brother of Frederics grandmother, not Victorias father.

Sorry, yes you are right.

Victoria and Frederic are 2nd Cousins.

Victorias paternal grandfather died 30 years before she was born, 1947.

Sofia of Spain and Ernst August of Hannover are 1st cousins, 'cause Sofias mother Friederike and Ernst Augusts father - also an Ernst August - were silblings.

Sofias children and Ernst Augusts children are 2nd cousins.

Last edited:
The most important Royal Cousins to me are : King Albert II of the Belgians, King Harald of Norway and his Sister Princess Astrid.
The very last King's Cousins.

Why that ? Norway and Sweden Royals are related with there relatives Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, but Belgian ?

The Royals in Belgium are catholics and the Royals in Norway, Sweden and Great Britain are protestans.

Why that ? Norway and Sweden Royals are related with there relatives Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, but Belgian ?

The Royals in Belgium are catholics and the Royals in Norway, Sweden and Great Britain are protestans.

Norway and Sweden royals are related to Belgian Royal, because of Queen Astrid of Belgium, being born a swedish princess, her father was the younger brother of King Gustav V of Sweden, and her mother, Princess Ingeborg of Denmark, was the younger sister of King Christian X of Denmark and of King Haakon VII of Norway. Her elder sister Princess Martha of Sweden was Crown Princess of Norway as the spouse of the future King Olav V from 1929 until her death in 1954. The presently reigning King Harald V is her only son.

Belgium royals are catholic because King Leopold I, a protestant, married the catholic Princess Louise-Marie, whose father was Louis Philippe I, the King of the French,

Leopold I didn't only become a Catholic because of his marriage but more importantly because it was a requirement for him to accept the throne of Belgium. If he wasn't Roman Catholic then he couldn't become King of the Belgians. The same thing happened a generation later when Prince William of Denmark became King of the Hellenes - he had to become Orthodox rather than remain Lutheran.

It is not unusual for some royals to change their religious affiliation in order to take on a throne although more often it is the wives who have to do so e.g. Queen Sofia of Spain - raised Orthodox but converted to Roman Catholicism when marrying Juan Carlos.

Leopold I remain Protestant until his dead . His last word was Nein !
The Priest of Notre Dame de Laeken did not want Leopold I enterring the Church and they did a sort of gangway outside to our Necropole.
We still have la Chapelle Royale Protestante near the Royal Palace.

Princess Astrid of Sweden was Protestant and became Catholic in 1930 when Prince Baudouin was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom