Royal Chivalry!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen Zenobia

Gentry
City
Country
Australia
I thought it would be nice to share stories and pictures of royal men displaying chvalry. For those that do not know what it means the simple meaning of it is; being a gentleman. I'll start us off with these pictues.

Sources:
From pointdevue.fr
gettyimages

Preview

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

Source: Rex Features

HM the King Juan Carlos is such a ladies man, and I mean no disrespect by that..he remids me of a Rhett Butler type fellow.

He is forever kissing ladies hands..such chivalry indeed!

"MII"

;)
Margrethe II said:
HM the King Juan Carlos is such a ladies man, and I mean no disrespect by that..he remids me of a Rhett Butler type fellow.

He is forever kissing ladies hands..such chivalry indeed!

"MII"

both him and Queen Sofia are very "touchable" people, they like to kiss, hug and touch people;)

In several Southern European countries isn't it a common custom for men to kiss a woman's hand? (like a handshake). I've seen Jacques Chirac do so often on foreign visits, as well as male guests kissing Queen Sofia and CP Letizia's hands at official gatherings when they greet guests.

I remember one of my friends, who spent a year on exchange in France, said that it was quite common to kiss someone on the cheek as a form of greeting and goodbye.

It may be quite common, but it's not necissarily done. It's very "old school" for men. It's called "manners" when one is growing up, and "chivarly" when men get older. For example: holding open a door or opening a door for a women, assisting her while she is getting out or in, letting her go first, kissing her hand in greeting or farewell, ect. All this is "old school" mannerisms.
Now a days, women are so independent, they do not let men assist them, and men have let mannerisms go by the wayside. And as women, we tend to teach our daughters to be independent. "Open your own door, don't wait for a man to do it or you'll be standing there forever".
I'm glad to see that some people still have this "chivarly". I would love to see more people with it now a days.

crisiñaki said:
;)

both him and Queen Sofia are very "touchable" people, they like to kiss, hug and touch people;)

I know, & I find that really endearing :)

"MII"

carl philip had to help his sister madeleine when the wind made her skirt do a marylin monroe

source: TVE (caption), originally posted by agm for TRF

This is Xavi, one of the Barça players who kissed Queen Sofia's hand at the final of the UEFA Champions League of this year;)

sesa said:
It may be quite common, but it's not necissarily done. It's very "old school" for men. It's called "manners" when one is growing up, and "chivarly" when men get older. For example: holding open a door or opening a door for a women, assisting her while she is getting out or in, letting her go first, kissing her hand in greeting or farewell, ect. All this is "old school" mannerisms.
Now a days, women are so independent, they do not let men assist them, and men have let mannerisms go by the wayside. And as women, we tend to teach our daughters to be independent. "Open your own door, don't wait for a man to do it or you'll be standing there forever".
I'm glad to see that some people still have this "chivarly". I would love to see more people with it now a days.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. For me personally I don't expect anything from a man but when one goes out of his way for me (excluding my husband of course) I have a momentary feeling of awkwardness but then get a rush of gratitude because such actions are so rare nowadays. I'm not even sure if chivalrous is the right word because there are times I will go out of my way to hold a door open for a person with children or packages. Nonetheless I love the photos and am always amazed when a highborn person goes out of her or his way for a commoner :)

The Greek King Constantine does so too.

FOTO: PETER HAUERBACH / HER & NU
13_DK_Dronning_70.jpg

Great photo. Was that from the Swedish Royal Wedding?

Letizia looks positively smitten in the second picture. Thank you for sharing.

William holding an umbrella for Catherine as they're walking from the church service to mark Prince Philip's 90th birthday.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2011/news/110620/prince-william-5-300.jpg

I am all for chivalry, :D It's nice to see William hold the umbrella for Catherine. It's lovely to see King Juan Carlos kissing the woman's hands. Lovely touch.

I am not old fashioned in the sense that men should always open doors for women etc. but it is lovely to see men hold their arms out for women at times.

Prince Edward is seen to do this alot for his wife Sophie. It's lovely to see him offering his arm to her when they exit weddings etc.

Edward holding Sophie's hand assisting her down the stairs.

I think William will be quite like this as well. Nice touch, Princes!

Hi,

Last night, I watched the American Emmy Awards and was quite taken with this gallant incident:

I do have new respect for Ashton Kutcher though, as he ran off the stage to help an older lady who had lost her balance on the stairs up to the stage and she seemed disoriented briefly. His mike was still on and we could hear him say, “Don’t worry dear, I’ll look after you; just hold onto me”… A gentleman; and I now have new regard for him…. Most of the other dorks just sat there while the poor old dear was struggling…

Larry

:heart: It is moving and very kind.

Back
Top Bottom