The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

45 ANIVERSARIO BODA REAL: ANEXO
Some anecdotes of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia. Google translate isn't great for Spanish but it's mostly comprehensible. I particularly liked the shopping anecdote:

The King and Queen were on a visit to the US in the 80s and they were asked how they would spend the free afternoon. King Juan Carlos said: She'll shop and I'll carry the bags.'

Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Princess Margaret, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were on an air flight together. Elizabeth wore a fabulously huge diamond ring, and Margaret was overheard to as saying how vulgar the ring looked. Elizabeth allowed Margaret to try on the ring and while she was admiring it Elizabeth stated, " doesn't look so vulgar now does it?"

King Frederik of Denmark was giving a radio speech to the Danish people one evening and he was heard to stop his speech and yelled," Margrethe, get your feet off of the table!" The future Queen was a teenager at that time.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna
Princess Margaret, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were on an air flight together. Elizabeth wore a fabulously huge diamond ring, and Margaret was overheard to as saying how vulgar the ring looked. Elizabeth allowed Margaret to try on the ring and while she was admiring it Elizabeth stated, " doesn't look so vulgar now does it?"

King Frederik of Denmark was giving a radio speech to the Danish people one evening and he was heard to stop his speech and yelled," Margrethe, get your feet off of the table!" The future Queen was a teenager at that time.
Ha ha- love these!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
45 ANIVERSARIO BODA REAL: ANEXO
Some anecdotes of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia. Google translate isn't great for Spanish but it's mostly comprehensible. I particularly liked the shopping anecdote:

The King and Queen were on a visit to the US in the 80s and they were asked how they would spend the free afternoon. King Juan Carlos said: She'll shop and I'll carry the bags.'
I also like the "kisses on the telephone" story!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Nobility

When i read a book about the Battle of Britain a while back there was a story about the (unintentional) bombing of the Royal Palace. The queen is reported to have stated "Thank good, now i can look the people living in East End straight in the eye"(East End was the area in London that suffered worst from the bombing)
Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Aristocracy

Great stories...
Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

ok Prince William was about to go to University and the issue of money came up and a reporter asked if the Prince of Wales had chipped in to which he said "I Chip in all the bloody time"
Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The late Queen Ingrid was very personification of being regal, at some point many years ago she attended a ball with a number of new lieutenants and the officer she was dancing was apparantly nervous, so he was babbling away.
Until Queen Ingrid quietly said: "Young man. I ask, you answer".

I guess the story originate from the officer himself as I doubt she would have shouted these words. - Just a quiet and stylish whack in the back of the neck.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

lol thats funny
Old 12-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Serene Highness

Royalty Online: Intimate details of Queen Margrethe's younger years revealed in new books

Blog post with some details about Queen Margrethe's life.

http://anecdotage.com/ has a lot of anecdotes involving the British Royal family, I don't have time to read them all but they're quite funny so if anyone's bored type in 'Queen Elizabeth' there should be 83 results.

Princess Anne once let loose her dog to 'tactically' help Peter's rugby team win a match.
http://royaltyonline.blogspot.com/20...life-with.html
Old 12-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Serene Highness

Het Nieuwsblad - Prins Filip verzamelt theepotten

A few anecdotes and fun facts about the Belgian Royal family. I particularly liked these:
-Someone once tried to break into Princess Astrid's car to steal her handbag and she hit him
-Prince Laurent wanted to name Aymeric after an orange dinosaur from a children's television programme but Claire wouldn't let him
-Prince Joachim swapped the business cards on the seats and planted cards pinhead up at Laurent and Claire's wedding
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Nice one! haha
Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Had a great laugh reading through this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
This one in particular almost had me on the floor laughing

Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
That's simply priceless . Shows that teens will be teens, regardless of rank and station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
ok Prince William was about to go to University and the issue of money came up and a reporter asked if the Prince of Wales had chipped in to which he said "I Chip in all the bloody time"
I remember reading about this comment some time ago. A very 'parental' answer.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Serene Highness

Royal Musings Blog - Historical Anecdotes

Don't know where to put this but it is so amusing I wanted to share it.

It's from this blog - Royal Musings - LINK: Royal Musings

June 18, 1898

Ena has a temper tantrum

Little Princess Ena of Battenberg, [...], is a "young miss with a will of her own, as well as a little temper."

Read more here.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

Hmmm. I guess even royal children can be brats once in a while.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Of all the children in the world, IMO royal ones are the most likely to be brats.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 PM

This one is about Alexei Romanov, the Tsarevich.

His father was working outside while they were being held captive and he sprayed his father with cold water! Also he put a strawberry in a woman's shoe and she screamed. Alexei would also lick his plate during dinner to annoy his family. He would also make fun of one of his servants and say "Look at fatty run!"

I love Alexei!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Of all the children in the world, IMO royal ones are the most likely to be brats.
In my experience growing up I would have said it was the children of vicars........and today I would say it is the children of some of my friends who somehow got the idea that setting limits for children is somehow damaging to their self esteem and just let them pretty much run wild. Once they go away to school that will get drummed out of them pretty quickly and they will learn some pretty rude lessons, if not from the tutors then definitely by the other children.

My guess would be that royal children have some pretty strick limitations on what they can and cannot get away with from a very early age. Nannies dont let children get away with very much, and also there is the need for them to learn to behave in public pretty early on as well as interacting with older people from an early age.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSerena View Post
This one is about Alexei Romanov, the Tsarevich.

His father was working outside while they were being held captive and he sprayed his father with cold water! Also he put a strawberry in a woman's shoe and she screamed. Alexei would also lick his plate during dinner to annoy his family. He would also make fun of one of his servants and say "Look at fatty run!"

I love Alexei!
I personally think Alexei had a great deal of behavior issues, and yes, part of it was the fact that he was the baby of the family as well as the long-awaited Heir Apparent. Another part is the fact that he had a lot of limitations and no explanation as to why he needed to abide by them. He acted out like any other kid would, and of course got out of hand (and few would reprimand him). I read in a book called 'A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra In Their Own Words' that when some of the extended family were over, the kids were appalled at the fact that Alexei had horrible table manners, and he was ten years old at the time. I think that's pretty disgraceful, especially for a child that would one day be expected to rule a nation. He gave his tutors and sailor attendants a run for their money too. Pierre Gilliard mentioned that once Alexei decided to run around the schoolroom with scissors and when someone tried to stop him, he climbed up on the table and refused to listen to reason. So basically, a little brat and terror, which is not a good combination in any child.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.