Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Aristocracy

LMAO! OMG that sounds funny!

Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrinceLorenzo
Princess Elizabeth (QEII) and Princess Margaret

Her sister Princess Elizabeth, 10, had informed Princess Margaret, 6, that their uncle Edward VIII had abdicated.

Margaret: "Does this mean you will be the next queen?"
Elizabeth: "Yes, someday." replied Elizabeth.
Margaret: "Poor you."
This one is one of the funniest I have hear, though all the guys here put such funny stories!

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Courtier

These are all SUPER hillarious! Any more??

www.one.org
Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Henrik and Queen Margrethe II are resinding at their summer residens Marselisborg Palace, when one morning the Prince Consort informs the chef the he and the Queen will eat out for supper.

In the aftersoon the Queen makes an inquire to the kitchen about when they can expect their supper. It is after supper time and should have been served !

The chef informes Her Majesty that the Prince Consort has informed him he that the couple would eat out for supper. The Queen sounds surprised and unaware of this, but hangs up.

Later he receives a call from the Price Consort. He ment "eat outside" ! Poor chaps danish isn't perfect !
Old 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Aristocracy

"Yay let's get into mommyyyy"

A young Crownprince Frederik upon boarding the ferry "Queen Margrethe II".
Old 10-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Nobility

I don´t think anyone mentioned this one before.
Queen Silvia once told this story about Carl Philip´s christening:

Carl Philip started crying during the ceremony and then little Victoria got up from her golden chair and put a little pillow under his head. She was the only one who had seen that the king´s medals (or whatever your call what he wears on his breast) had been scrating baby Carl Philip´s head.

I think this is so cute...
Old 10-01-2006, 06:06 PM

I like the one about John Major who asked the Queen what he should do about "a problem". The Queen replied, "I should write to your MP". Similarly, when the Dean of Windsor asked her for advice, she said, "That's what you're paid for".
Old 10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Aristocracy

In 1935 King George V met the author John Buchan and told him, "I don't get much time for reading, but when I do I enjoy your books, 'The Thirty-Nine Steps' and so on. Now before you go, the Queen would like to have a word with you." Buchan soon met Queen Mary who told him, "The King does not get much time for reading but when he does I'm affraid he read the most awful rubbish."

he he
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

At a cocktail party a guest was chatting to Princess Mary, sister of King George VI, without beeing able to remember who she was. He ventured the question, "What is your brother dooing these days?" "Oh", the Princess replied, "he's still king!"

Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

And one about a very 'nice' uncle...:

When he was young, Prince Charles, who was sensitive about his ears sticking out, was told by his uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten, "They'll never let you be King with ears like that."

Old 10-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Aristocracy

During a visit to Ottawa in Canada Prince Philip told the audience, "The monarchy exists not for its own benefit, but for that of the country. We don't come here for our health. We can think of better ways of enjoying ourselves."

Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Aristocracy

During King George VI's tour of Canada before the Second World War he noticed, while visiting a provincial town, that the mayor was not wearing his chain of office. Looking for an opportunity to present him with a gold chain, the King asked him whether or not he already had one. "Yes, sir", the mayor replied, "I do". "But I notice you are not wearing it", said the King. "Oh", explained the mayor, "I only wear it on special occasions."

Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
When he was young, Prince Charles, who was sensitive about his ears sticking out, was told by his uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten, "They'll never let you be King with ears like that."
Lord Louis did suggest to the Queen that the ears were pinned back but HM refused the idea. The certainly don't seem prominent now.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Aristocracy

One about the Queen Mother, I don't remember where I read it, it must have been a newspaper or so....: the Queen Mother was not very punctual, she used to be almost always late for ceremonies, visitis and so on. Once when she arrived late again to a reception, she said, "I'm sorry for being late again, but I put on such a marvellous dress, it fitted me so well, that couldn't stop looking at myself in the mirror".
Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 PM

I love that. The Queen Mother used to like setting up a rifle at the windows of Clarence House to shoot squirrels in the trees. This carried on until Tony Blair sent a polite note saying that he didn't think it was quite safe. The Queen Mother retorted, "He wants to be careful I don't aim for him!"
Old 10-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I love that. The Queen Mother used to like setting up a rifle at the windows of Clarence House to shoot squirrels in the trees. This carried on until Tony Blair sent a polite note saying that he didn't think it was quite safe. The Queen Mother retorted, "He wants to be careful I don't aim for him!"
That's such a great story! Though maybe not shooting squirrels but the Blair part was amazing!

Sophus, the one about King George is great! I wonder what counted as a 'special occasion' for the man?
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
That's such a great story! Though maybe not shooting squirrels but the Blair part was amazing!

Sophus, the one about King George is great! I wonder what counted as a 'special occasion' for the man?
Me too... I guess the gold chain was hardly seen in these days...
Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Courtier

I was watching a talk show today, and two of the hosts talked about some times that they met royals

The first one was from Rosie O'Donnell who was in the Flinstone movie, which had a royal premire, she met Prince Charles and said Hello Sir and did a curtsey. Another man walks up to Prince Charles and just said hello. Rosie thought he got the greeting wrong, so she asks him who he is he replies King Constaine of Greece.

The second one was from Barbara Walters (who is a journalist) she was skiing and this man comes up to talk to her and she doesn't realize who he is (she thinks he is the waiter) until he says you met my cousin and then she realizes it was King Constaine. As she is leaving another man comes up to her, she talks to him not wanting to make the same mistake as soon as she leaves she asks someone who he was, it was King Juan Carlos.

Map for the British Royals
Old 01-11-2007, 04:24 PM

Great stuff! The Rosie O'Donnell story is a brilliant one. So is the Babs Walters one. Lovely stories - thankyou for sharing.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Serene Highness

How the King and Queen of Sweden got Crown Princess Victoria to give up her pacifiers. Originally posted by Eve2Eden on ”Victoria – Drottning med tiden” by Herman Lindqvist, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve2Eden View Post
Victoria was very attached to her pacifiers (or “dummies,” as the book translates it) when she was little and stubborn about giving them up. One day while on a boat she asked if fish had pacifiers, and I guess the King and Queen decided to take advantage of the situation:

'No,” they answered. “We feel sorry for the fish. Can’t you give them your dummies?

’Of course,' I said, and threw all my dummies into the sea- just to make the fish happy.

I soon regretted what I had done. It was a disaster at bedtime. I was very unhappy and so angry with my parents that I refused to sleep where my mother and father slept. I demanded to go to Nenne. She was the only person who was kind to me.”

So the King had to carry a hysterical Victoria, in the middle of the night, all the way to the other side of the palace where Nenne had her own apartment. Ironically, Victoria later colluded with the nanny (not sure if was the same one) to trick Madeleine into giving up her pacifiers, which Madeleine never knew (though I guess the cat is out of the bag now ) and which Victoria says she still has a “bad conscience” over.
I know this is an old thread but I'd love to read about more anecdotes.