The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
It's near but not in Madrid's downtown like the Royal Palace is

La Zarzuela used to be a palace for the Kings when they were hunting so it's just outside of Madrid, near El Pardo

Here's a view of la Zarzuela:
http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&hl=es...05407&t=h&om=1

I hope I have gotten it right:o:o:o
You have had a small mistake, this it is the Hospital of The Zarzuela, that it is in Madrid capital. The Palace of The Zarzuela is in the mount of El Pardo, in the Community of Madrid, but out of the center of Madrid capital , to several kilometres.

Number 21 is the Mount of El Pardo

Old 06-25-2006, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
You have had a small mistake, this it is the Hospital of The Zarzuela, that it is in Madrid capital. The Palace of The Zarzuela is in the mount of El Pardo, in the Community of Madrid, but out of the center of Madrid capital , to several kilometres.

Number 21 is the Mount of El Pardo
Thanks lula, I knew I wasn't totally right!:o:o:o:o

Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Elizabeth (QEII) and Princess Margaret

Her sister Princess Elizabeth, 10, had informed Princess Margaret, 6, that their uncle Edward VIII had abdicated.

Margaret: "Does this mean you will be the next queen?"
Elizabeth: "Yes, someday." replied Elizabeth.
Margaret: "Poor you."
Old 06-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

And I thought Margareth wanted to be queen? Or have I misunderstood something?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

Margaret said "poor you" because Elizabeth will now be the Queen, along with the burden and responsibilities that goes with it.

That's why William promised Harry that he will not abdicate because Harry doesn't want the crown.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Another SRF anecdote:

At the pre-wedding gala for the wedding of Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarín the first main table was presided by the groom and Queen Sofia and the other main table was presided by the bride and her father; KJC saw this and told Iñaki (rather loudly): "hey son, each with his own" (oye hijo, cada uno con la suya, no crees?) so they switched places and KJC sat with his wife and the young lovebirds sit together...:)
Old 06-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrinceLorenzo
Princess Elizabeth (QEII) and Princess Margaret

Her sister Princess Elizabeth, 10, had informed Princess Margaret, 6, that their uncle Edward VIII had abdicated.

Margaret: "Does this mean you will be the next queen?"
Elizabeth: "Yes, someday." replied Elizabeth.
Margaret: "Poor you."
i read this anecdote years ago in Reader's Digest and i thought it was really hilarious. :)

the anecdote (more like story) that i liked was the bit about Prince Felipe being such a deep sleeper. i laughed about how he couldn't wake up early in the morning despite having four alarm clocks at his bedside.

another anecdote i liked was when the future Princess Letizia cut off Prince Felipe with "Dejame terminar!" ("Let me finish!") when he interrupted her as she was speaking. it happened during the presscon when their engagement was announced.

:)
Old 06-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Aristocracy

I read this in a book about QEII and Princess Margaret:

Princess Margaret was born when Elizabeth was four years old, and upon learning that she had a new sister, she was running all over the palace telling people. When she bumped into Lady Cynthia Asquith, she said "I've got a baby sister, Margaret Rose, but I'm going to call her Bud." When Lady Asquith asked why that was, Lilibet said "Well, she's not a real rose yet, is she? She's only a bud."
Old 06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Aw, that's so cute! Princess Bud! He he...
Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Gentry

Here's one from the Greek royal family that King Constantine gave in an interview. Apparently when he went to ask his wife's father for her hand in marriage, he was locked in the bathroom by the king so that he would be unable to propose.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Here's one from the Greek royal family that King Constantine gave in an interview. Apparently when he went to ask his wife's father for her hand in marriage, he was locked in the bathroom by the king so that he would be unable to propose.
I thought this was Prince Richard.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

Is that king Constantine, as the current ex-king? And the wife would be Anne-Marie of Denmark?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 AM

That was King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie. The King locked Constantine in his private bathroom with the light off whilst he spoke to Queen Ingrid about it. Their Majesties spoke about it on "A Royal Family".
Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Astrid and Ragnhild of Norway
When they were little girls, Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway came across another girl who had a fancy doll with various accessories. The princesses expressed their admiration. The other girl asked why, since they were princesses they could have as many dolls as they wanted.

One of the princesses replied: No, we can't. We just have to behave better than others.
Children warm our hearts with their honesty and prompt response.

This anedocte you told us, norwegianne, must be one of the most beautiful I have ever heard.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledges on royal anedoctes.

Regards,
mtbcm :)
Old 06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Serene Highness

[quote=norwegianne]George was the son of George who was the brother of Maud - Haakon's wife.

Other anecdotes:

Astrid and Ragnhild of Norway
When they were little girls, Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway came across another girl who had a fancy doll with various accessories. The princesses expressed their admiration. The other girl asked why, since they were princesses they could have as many dolls as they wanted.

One of the princesses replied: No, we can't. We just have to behave better than others.

i'm enjoying this thread so much. especially like this one, if only all royal children were brought up as well. thanks everybody
Old 06-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
1. When KJC (then the Prince of Asturias) wanted to get engaged to QS (then Princess of Greece) he didn't ask the "proper" way (you know, bend in one knee and ask and stuff). They were (with their parents) in a hotel in Switzerland and Juan took a box out of his pocket and threw it at her and said: "Sofi, catch it" and it was the engagement ring; I guess words weren't needed back then
That's surprisingly romantic! I've got a good one: One day, the Prince of Wales (future Edward VII), the Tsar of Russia (Alexander III) and King of Greece (George I) were visiting Denmark and taking a walk when became hopelessly lost looking for their way back to Fredensborg. A farmer drove past in a little horse-drawn cart and offered them a ride, and the three august gentleman promptly jumped in. When the farmer dropped them off at their destination, he said, "Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure talking with you. May I inquire after your names?"

The tsar replied, "Of course. I am Alexander, Tsar of Russia, and this gentleman is the Prince of Wales." The man turned to George and said, "And who might you be?"

"I might be, and I am King George of the Hellenes."

The man looked back and forth at each man, then said, "Ah, I see. You know who I am, gentlemen?

The men looked at one another and shook their hands. The farmer leaned in close and said: "I am Jesus Christ!"

This was dramatized in the 70s miniseries, Edward the King, although the farmer said he was Napoleon Bonaparte instead.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Courtier

I don't know if this fits but I was watching a documentary on the Queen. On it they had the first (or one of) meetings of the then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip

The King, Queen, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret were visiting the navel academy wear Prince Philip was a student. He had the job of taking the Princesses jackets. Princess Margaret slips hers off and doesn't really look at him. Princess Elizabeth on the other hand whips around and kind of checks him out. The whole exchange is really adorable and funny especially since there is such a difference in the way that Margaret and Elizabeth act in those few minutes.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy

I don't blame Her Majesty, The Duke of Ediburgh was a looker in his prime years =).
Old 06-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

And they ended getting married too, didn't they? We just be happy that Margareth didn't want him too!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Aristocracy

Okay, I read this somewhere and have to relate it, I hope no one will find it offensive. If so, I won't be offended if the Admins delete it.
King George V was in conversation with a gentleman ( I cannot remember who, sorry!) when the gentleman audibly passes gas. The King, thinking to spare the man embarassment spots a dog sitting on the floor next to him, kicks it and says something like "Damn dogs". But the poor dog is a porcelain one and so the gentleman was spared no embarassment!

How humiliating would that be? Though I would rather just cop to it than have someone kick their poor dog to save me embarassment.
I wish I could remember the story exactly the way it was written, It was so funny