tree, shook hands with one of its branches and talked to it
for several minutes. He thought he was talking to the King
of Prussia.
Oh, that's sad!

Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
King Haakon VII of Norway was staying at Buckingham Palace during the first period of his exile in London.

When the blitz came, and Buckingham Palace was bombed, his nephew King George came to see if his uncle was alright.

King Haakon said, referring to the holes in the roof: I'm fine, but I think you'd better lend me your umbrella.
How were they uncle and nephew?

Old 08-09-2005, 04:49 AM
Aristocracy

Its one of those Motor Mouth Royal moments when someone speaks before thinking... and from my previous posts regarding Princess Alice... you can see where Prince Philip and his children get it from!

Princess Anne: One day upon leaving the Church at Sandringham, Princess Anne was given a basket of flowers by a well wishing member of the public. Excited that she was at the front of the spectators and that she had been fortunate enough to be able to hand her flowers directly to the Princess, the women remarked "I arranged them my self," to which the Princess replied "Really? Why did you bother doing that!" and carried on down the road. It is not known what Anne ment by this comment and if it should have been "oh thank you, you really shouldnt have spent so much time on it for us." However the well wisher was offended but is still a fan of the Royal Family.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
I'll always love Princess Anne's "Not bloody likely, and I haven't got two million," lol!
What happened to beget such a response?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Courtier

When she was 24, that kidnapping event. The kidnapper(Ian Ball) used his car to trap her car, he aimed his gun at her and said: "I want you to come with me for a day or two, I want two million. Will you get out of the car?" That's when she said it.

She's pretty feisty!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger
A Realy nice anecdote from the Queen mother:
Recently the Queen Mother visited Westminster Abbey to see how plans for her funeral were getting on. When she was shown the candles which will be placed on the altar around her coffin, she shook her head. I don't like those at all, she said, "do you mind if I bring some of my own?"
I dont understand this, sorry. But the Queen Mother was looking around at the preperation for her own funeral?!How could they be preparing for her funeral before her actual death?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Commoner

There was a rehaersal each year for the funeral of the Queen mother and she has planned several things by herself. So it was at one of theese rehaersal when she asked if she can bring the candles with her.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
When she was 24, that kidnapping event. The kidnapper(Ian Ball) used his car to trap her car, he aimed his gun at her and said: "I want you to come with me for a day or two, I want two million. Will you get out of the car?" That's when she said it.

She's pretty feisty!
Makes you wonder what Charles or Edward might have done. (I'm excepting Andrew b/c we know he has guts from his performance in the Falkland Islands.)
Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Serene Highness

I love the one about the current Queen Elizabeth shopping in Braemar and another customer in the store said, "oh you look so much like the queen" to which QEII replied, "how very reassuring."
Old 08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Courtier

That's very good. :)

(Imagine how Prince Philip would have reacted in a similar situation. I wouln't like to have been the other customer in that case! ).
Old 08-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
(Imagine how Prince Philip would have reacted in a similar situation.
"No, I don't think so but my wife does". :)
Old 08-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism
"No, I don't think so but my wife does". :)
Ha ha ha ha
That's very funny!
You could add on "If my wife doesn't have the money, I have connections all over the world!" :p
Old 08-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
George III of Great Britain and Ireland was being driven
through Windsor Great Park when he ordered his carriage
driver to stop. The King got out, walked over to an oak
tree, shook hands with one of its branches and talked to it
for several minutes. He thought he was talking to the King
of Prussia.
Oh my, I wonder what he was saying to "the King of Prussia?"
Old 08-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Aristocracy

From anecdotage.com:
"A publishing friend remembers being at a party where - unknown to her - the Queen [Elizabeth] was also present and, in fact, standing right next to her. Flinging her arms wide in a conversational gesture, she struck her sovereign full on the bosom.

"'Oh Ma'am,' she gasped. 'I'm so sorry.' "'That's all right my dear,' the Queen replied. 'When you're as small as I am, you're always hitting people in awkward places!'"
:))
"At times....I think that if you lifted my heart to your ear, you could hear the ocean. Yet sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing...I dream of a love for which even time will lie down and be still."
Old 08-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger
These are quite well known but worth a mention

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 1
In the Second World War, Alice (and her sister in law The Princess Nicholas mother of Princess Marina) remained in Greece during the German ocupation. As Alice was born a German Princess (of Battenburg) Hitler, who assumed that she would be pro-german, sent his senior officer in Greece to meet with the Princess. Upon being asked if there was any items, food or anything he could do to make life more comfertable for the Princess, Alice replied "Well yes actualy... you can get the Hell out of my Country for a start!"

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 2
Born deaf, Alice amazed her Granddaughter Princess Anne one day whilst living with her son & daughter-in-law at Buckingham Palace in the late 1960s. Prince Philip and Alice had been arguing in her rooms, when Princess Anne sore her farther fly out of the room in anger and as he stormed down the corridor uttered an undiscolsed profanity towards his mother... despite being deaf, Alice replied and her responce was given to be an acurate reply to her sons comment despite the fact there is no way she could have heard what he said.

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 3
In her later life, the Princess had become a Nun and started her own Order of Nuns in Greece. One day she was being driven by one of her 'sisters' to the Royal Palace in Athens. The sister driving did not know the way and therefore Alice was providing directions. Not long after leaving, Alice asked the Sister to turn Left... which the Sister did, there and then without waiting for the next left hand turn... Alice and her driver found themselves in a ditch at the side of the Road.

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 4 (again)
During the time that became known as her mad period (although today we now know she was simply suffering from acute depression inspired by her exile from greece, deafness and the growing gulf between her husband and her self) she was inivted to lunch by Prince & Princess George of Greece, however she declined "Im sorry, I cant make it today... I am having lunch with Christ" and put the phone down.

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 5 (PRIZE WINNER)
As her health began to deteriorate, Alice informed her son Prince Philip that she wished to be burried in the Holy City of Jerusalem. Philip, taken aback by her request said "you cant do that... we wouldnt be able to come and visit your grave." Alice, without missing a heartbeat replied "Oh dont be so silly... there is a bus service!"

It's nice to see that despite her hearing disability Princess Alice still seemed to be a tough cookie. Bravo to her!
Old 08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Charles has temper so he's reaction would have been nasty too. Prince Edward I not sure what would have done.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Courtier

There is a lot of humourous antedots about the British Royals and their royals in "A book of Royal Lists." I wrote a number of them down in the library forum: Here is the link:

The Book of Royal Lists

Here a one about the personality of the Duke of Edinburgh:

Every Christmas at Sandringham the royal family picks a number of recently released movies to watch on the Queen's cinema. The Duke of Edinburgh's choice of film is always the same - the black and white version of the Hounds of the Baskervilles. Every year as Sherlock is about to explain the crime to Dr Watson, Prince Philip yells the plot at the screen.

HM The Queen is a great lover of puzzles. Whenever she is at Sandringham and Balmoral a new puzzle is set out for her and those she invites to build with her. One Christmas, the Queen discovered that a piece was missing and immediately called up the manufacturer. The company that made the puzzle, built the same picture puzzle at their factory and than sent the piece she required to the Queen. Since than all puzzles are pre-built to check that this doesn't happen again.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger
A Realy nice anecdote from the Queen mother:
Recently the Queen Mother visited Westminster Abbey to see how plans for her funeral were getting on. When she was shown the candles which will be placed on the altar around her coffin, she shook her head. I don't like those at all, she said, "do you mind if I bring some of my own?"
That is beautiful!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenanne
From anecdotage.com:
"A publishing friend remembers being at a party where - unknown to her - the Queen [Elizabeth] was also present and, in fact, standing right next to her. Flinging her arms wide in a conversational gesture, she struck her sovereign full on the bosom.

"'Oh Ma'am,' she gasped. 'I'm so sorry.' "'That's all right my dear,' the Queen replied. 'When you're as small as I am, you're always hitting people in awkward places!'"
:))
ha ha ha. that´s funny.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Another one of my favorite anecdotes is about Queen Mary, who was truly regal to the end. Upon her deathbed, a doctor made a visit. When he finished, he turned around to walk out of the room. Queen Mary rustled up her voice and said "I'm not dead yet." The meaning being, he still had to back out of the room in front of the Queen Dowager!! She followed the rules to the end!!!