The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Serene Highness

When Victoria Eugenie converted to Catholicism upon her marriage to Alfonso XIII of Spain, many accuse her conversion as not being sincere.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
I think it is utterly morally wrong to convert from anything to anything unless you believe in it. God's law is above man's. Whenever I hear of any conversion for the sake of marriage be it royal or other it saddens me greatly, it means the person truly believes in nothing. There was royal wedding in Jordan recently and the groom converted to Islam which I was sorry to hear.
I agree totally. A person's religion should be between the person and God. Conversion due to law or because of marriage is just an empty action that means nothing if the person isn't converting of their own will and spiritual well-being. It's a sad fact, though, that many people don't regard their religion as important enough to them that they can easily switch from one to another.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
what about royals from the past
Josephine of Leuchtenberg became the Crown Princess and eventually Queen Josefina of Sweden.
She was Roman Catholic.
Her husband, King Oscar I was Lutheran.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Gentry

There was a huge problem when in 1947, the Orthodox King Michael of Romania wanted to marry the Catholic Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parma. Anne didn't convert, the Pope didn't grant permission unless the children out of this marriage would become Catholics, which would have been impossible. The wedding proceeded as we know, but the bride's family didn't attend the wedding. Only years later, Michael and Anne were able to marry in a Catholic ceremony.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
There was a huge problem when in 1947, the Orthodox King Michael of Romania wanted to marry the Catholic Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parma. Anne didn't convert, the Pope didn't grant permission unless the children out of this marriage would become Catholics, which would have been impossible. The wedding proceeded as we know, but the bride's family didn't attend the wedding. Only years later, Michael and Anne were able to marry in a Catholic ceremony.

Queen Maxima is supposed to be Catholic, but she didn't marry in the Catholic church and her 3 children were baptized and are being raised in the Dutch Reformed (Protestant) church. According to TRF poster Duc et Pair, she is also often seen attending Protestant services at a local Wassenaar church. I wonder if she has converted to Protestantism.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Queen Maxima is supposed to be Catholic, but she didn't marry in the Catholic church and her 3 children were baptized and are being raised in the Dutch Reformed (Protestant) church. According to TRF poster Duc et Pair, she is also often seen attending Protestant services at a local Wassenaar church. I wonder if she has converted to Protestantism.

Although it's a private matter, I think it would have been made known in case Queen Máxima would have converted.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Since there is no legal requirement for Maxima to convert to Protestantism, it is only logical that she would worship with her children and attend those services as required.

There are also occasions where she, as Queen, will attend a church service in an official capacity. We do not know that Maxima has ever even thought of converting, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Courtier

If in 20 years The Daughter of William And Catherine meets in falls in love with the son of the King of Bhutan while he is studying in Britain Does that mean she has to be a Buddhist? Or Lalla Khadija marries into the Belgians does she just stop being a Muslim and start going to mass? Far fetched, but what happens?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

During the Nuptial Masses of both Albert of Monaco in 2010 and HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg in 2012, I am almost certain that I saw Maxima receive communion. If she considered herself Protestant, I am not sure she would have done that. Given the circumstances she is in as Queen of the Protestant Netherlands, it makes sense that she would be discreetly continue to remain Catholic but would be seen publically to raise her children as Protestants, as she agreed to when she married W-A.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Or Lalla Khadija marries into the Belgians does she just stop being a Muslim and start going to mass?
As Islamic scholars generally forbid Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men it's highly unlikely that it would ever happen. As for a person of Muslim faith to convert to another faith, that's considered a crime punishable with death, so the answer is that she can't leave her Muslim faith.

While a Muslim woman can't marry outside her faith, there are nothing that hinders a Muslim male to marry a non-Muslim woman. For more info: Interfaith marriage in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
During the Nuptial Masses of both Albert of Monaco in 2010 and HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg in 2012, I am almost certain that I saw Maxima receive communion. If she considered herself Protestant, I am not sure she would have done that. Given the circumstances she is in as Queen of the Protestant Netherlands, it makes sense that she would be discreetly continue to remain Catholic but would be seen publically to raise her children as Protestants, as she agreed to when she married W-A.
Well, Queen Juliana (protestant) was known to attend communions later in her life.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
There are more catholics than protestants in the Netherlands. Even the royal family is half catholic (princesses Irene and Christina and families).
Old 12-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
There are more catholics than protestants in the Netherlands. Even the royal family is half catholic (princesses Irene and Christina and families).
Funnily enough that is correct, but the Netherlands still considers itself a protestant-christian country (if it considers itself religious at all) and certainly the dutch RF does so. Up until very recently a royal marrying a catholic envoked a lot of discussion..
The dutch RF certainly does not consider itself half-catholic..
(i'm a dutch catholic so the fact that there are more catholics officially amuses me a great deal :-) )
Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy View Post
I think it is utterly morally wrong to convert from anything to anything unless you believe in it. God's law is above man's. Whenever I hear of any conversion for the sake of marriage be it royal or other it saddens me greatly, it means the person truly believes in nothing. There was royal wedding in Jordan recently and the groom converted to Islam which I was sorry to hear.
It seems very few have converted from one religion to another as a prerequisite of marriage into a royal family.

CP Mary merely changed "Denomination" within the Protestant faith. Princess Marie however did convert from Roman Catholicism to Protestant in the form of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Denmark, of whom the reigning monarch (her mother-in-law) is the supreme authority, but not the head.

As to whether Marie was a practicising member of the Roman Catholic Church or a nominal member, i.e. born but not raised in, is unknown. But, it is my experience that if a person is practising their faith it is nigh on impossible for them to convert unless they have a "personal revelation" upon which to base it.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Well, Queen Juliana (protestant) was known to attend communions later in her life.
Did she receive the Catholic Eucharist or did she merely attend the Mass? There is a great difference. One does not "attend communions" btw.

[But, it is my experience that if a person is practising their faith it is nigh on impossible for them to convert unless they have a "personal revelation" upon which to base it]// quote

MARG, I agree 100%.

magali-I did not realize that Catholics outnumber Protestants in the Netherlands. Thanks-
Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Did she receive the Catholic Eucharist or did she merely attend the Mass? There is a great difference. One does not "attend communions" btw.
Lol, I guess I translated that a bit too literally from Dutch. But yes, apparently she would walk up to the front of the church with everyone else and receive the Eucharist (the round disc you eat representing the body of Christ, right?).
Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Gentry

Princess Juliana took communion at the wedding of her grandson Prince Maurits in 1998. It caused raised eyebrows in Protestant circles.

Mind you: Netherlands is definitely not entirely Protestant: the south ('below the big rivers') is traditionally Catholic.