The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 06-30-2005, 10:33 AM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,294
When Victoria Eugenie converted to Catholicism upon her marriage to Alfonso XIII of Spain, many accuse her conversion as not being sincere.
__________________

__________________
Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 PM
MoonlightRhapsody's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Garden Grove, United States
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
I think it is utterly morally wrong to convert from anything to anything unless you believe in it. God's law is above man's. Whenever I hear of any conversion for the sake of marriage be it royal or other it saddens me greatly, it means the person truly believes in nothing. There was royal wedding in Jordan recently and the groom converted to Islam which I was sorry to hear.
I agree totally. A person's religion should be between the person and God. Conversion due to law or because of marriage is just an empty action that means nothing if the person isn't converting of their own will and spiritual well-being. It's a sad fact, though, that many people don't regard their religion as important enough to them that they can easily switch from one to another.
__________________

__________________
*~* In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. *~*
*~* Judge not those who try and fail. Judge those who fail to try. *~*
Sweden's Picture of the Month Represenative
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
what about royals from the past
Josephine of Leuchtenberg became the Crown Princess and eventually Queen Josefina of Sweden.
She was Roman Catholic.
Her husband, King Oscar I was Lutheran.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Arrjann's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dordrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 62
There was a huge problem when in 1947, the Orthodox King Michael of Romania wanted to marry the Catholic Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parma. Anne didn't convert, the Pope didn't grant permission unless the children out of this marriage would become Catholics, which would have been impossible. The wedding proceeded as we know, but the bride's family didn't attend the wedding. Only years later, Michael and Anne were able to marry in a Catholic ceremony.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter: @houseoflemon
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
There was a huge problem when in 1947, the Orthodox King Michael of Romania wanted to marry the Catholic Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parma. Anne didn't convert, the Pope didn't grant permission unless the children out of this marriage would become Catholics, which would have been impossible. The wedding proceeded as we know, but the bride's family didn't attend the wedding. Only years later, Michael and Anne were able to marry in a Catholic ceremony.

Queen Maxima is supposed to be Catholic, but she didn't marry in the Catholic church and her 3 children were baptized and are being raised in the Dutch Reformed (Protestant) church. According to TRF poster Duc et Pair, she is also often seen attending Protestant services at a local Wassenaar church. I wonder if she has converted to Protestantism.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Arrjann's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dordrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Queen Maxima is supposed to be Catholic, but she didn't marry in the Catholic church and her 3 children were baptized and are being raised in the Dutch Reformed (Protestant) church. According to TRF poster Duc et Pair, she is also often seen attending Protestant services at a local Wassenaar church. I wonder if she has converted to Protestantism.

Although it's a private matter, I think it would have been made known in case Queen Máxima would have converted.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter: @houseoflemon
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,581
Since there is no legal requirement for Maxima to convert to Protestantism, it is only logical that she would worship with her children and attend those services as required.

There are also occasions where she, as Queen, will attend a church service in an official capacity. We do not know that Maxima has ever even thought of converting, but somehow I doubt it.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 630
If in 20 years The Daughter of William And Catherine meets in falls in love with the son of the King of Bhutan while he is studying in Britain Does that mean she has to be a Buddhist? Or Lalla Khadija marries into the Belgians does she just stop being a Muslim and start going to mass? Far fetched, but what happens?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,053
During the Nuptial Masses of both Albert of Monaco in 2010 and HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg in 2012, I am almost certain that I saw Maxima receive communion. If she considered herself Protestant, I am not sure she would have done that. Given the circumstances she is in as Queen of the Protestant Netherlands, it makes sense that she would be discreetly continue to remain Catholic but would be seen publically to raise her children as Protestants, as she agreed to when she married W-A.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Meraude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Or Lalla Khadija marries into the Belgians does she just stop being a Muslim and start going to mass?
As Islamic scholars generally forbid Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men it's highly unlikely that it would ever happen. As for a person of Muslim faith to convert to another faith, that's considered a crime punishable with death, so the answer is that she can't leave her Muslim faith.

While a Muslim woman can't marry outside her faith, there are nothing that hinders a Muslim male to marry a non-Muslim woman. For more info: Interfaith marriage in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
During the Nuptial Masses of both Albert of Monaco in 2010 and HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg in 2012, I am almost certain that I saw Maxima receive communion. If she considered herself Protestant, I am not sure she would have done that. Given the circumstances she is in as Queen of the Protestant Netherlands, it makes sense that she would be discreetly continue to remain Catholic but would be seen publically to raise her children as Protestants, as she agreed to when she married W-A.
Well, Queen Juliana (protestant) was known to attend communions later in her life.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
During the Nuptial Masses of both Albert of Monaco in 2010 and HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg in 2012, I am almost certain that I saw Maxima receive communion. If she considered herself Protestant, I am not sure she would have done that. Given the circumstances she is in as Queen of the Protestant Netherlands, it makes sense that she would be discreetly continue to remain Catholic but would be seen publically to raise her children as Protestants, as she agreed to when she married W-A.
There are more catholics than protestants in the Netherlands. Even the royal family is half catholic (princesses Irene and Christina and families).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
There are more catholics than protestants in the Netherlands. Even the royal family is half catholic (princesses Irene and Christina and families).
Funnily enough that is correct, but the Netherlands still considers itself a protestant-christian country (if it considers itself religious at all) and certainly the dutch RF does so. Up until very recently a royal marrying a catholic envoked a lot of discussion..
The dutch RF certainly does not consider itself half-catholic..
(i'm a dutch catholic so the fact that there are more catholics officially amuses me a great deal :-) )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 PM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy View Post
I think it is utterly morally wrong to convert from anything to anything unless you believe in it. God's law is above man's. Whenever I hear of any conversion for the sake of marriage be it royal or other it saddens me greatly, it means the person truly believes in nothing. There was royal wedding in Jordan recently and the groom converted to Islam which I was sorry to hear.
It seems very few have converted from one religion to another as a prerequisite of marriage into a royal family.

CP Mary merely changed "Denomination" within the Protestant faith. Princess Marie however did convert from Roman Catholicism to Protestant in the form of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Denmark, of whom the reigning monarch (her mother-in-law) is the supreme authority, but not the head.

As to whether Marie was a practicising member of the Roman Catholic Church or a nominal member, i.e. born but not raised in, is unknown. But, it is my experience that if a person is practising their faith it is nigh on impossible for them to convert unless they have a "personal revelation" upon which to base it.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Well, Queen Juliana (protestant) was known to attend communions later in her life.
Did she receive the Catholic Eucharist or did she merely attend the Mass? There is a great difference. One does not "attend communions" btw.


[But, it is my experience that if a person is practising their faith it is nigh on impossible for them to convert unless they have a "personal revelation" upon which to base it]// quote


MARG, I agree 100%.


magali-I did not realize that Catholics outnumber Protestants in the Netherlands. Thanks-
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 AM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Did she receive the Catholic Eucharist or did she merely attend the Mass? There is a great difference. One does not "attend communions" btw.
Lol, I guess I translated that a bit too literally from Dutch. But yes, apparently she would walk up to the front of the church with everyone else and receive the Eucharist (the round disc you eat representing the body of Christ, right?).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Arrjann's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dordrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 62
Princess Juliana took communion at the wedding of her grandson Prince Maurits in 1998. It caused raised eyebrows in Protestant circles.

Mind you: Netherlands is definitely not entirely Protestant: the south ('below the big rivers') is traditionally Catholic.
__________________

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: @houseoflemon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Yachts hrhcp Royal Life and Lifestyle 23 12-29-2014 08:13 PM
What Is The Point Of The Gr Family? sky The Royal Family of Greece 82 10-21-2004 01:26 PM
Pavlos And Marie Chantal: Current Events December 2002 - October 2003 Julia Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 76 10-14-2003 08:40 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium brussels carl philip charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death fashion grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit ottoman poland president gauck president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mette-marit princess of asturias queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal royal fashion sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]