Recent Royals: Age They Got Married

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Denmark
(then) Princess Margrethe was 36; Henri was 41.
Queen Margrethe was 27 when she married to Prince Henrik, and he was almost 33 (he turned 33 the day after the marriage).

Late 20's to Early 30's seems to be the norm for marriage.

It's interesting to me ,were any princes at the time of their first marriage in their fifties?The only I know is Prince Albert of Monaco who is due to marry soon
Prince Bertil of Sweden was 64 years old when he married Lilian Craig, who was 61 years old, his first and her second marriage on December 7, 1976. They had met in 1943 and lived together since 1946.

Dom Duarte Pio, the Duke of Bragança, was 50 when he married to the 29-y-o Isabel de Heredia in 1995.

Prince Bertil waited a long time to marry 30 years. Was it because Lillian wasn't royal or royal enough?

She was divorced and she wasn't royal. He waited until his nephew, the King, married Sylvia and had children, as he was the heir. Bertil and Lillian are a true love story. Very beautiful.

Teresa of the Two Sicilies was 21 when she married Emperor Pedro II of Brazil in 1843. He was 17, and she was considered an old maid!

King Bhumibol Adulyadej was 22 years old (he turned 23 later on December 5) when he married to Queen Sirikit, who was then aged 17 (she turned 18 later on August 12), on April 28, 1950.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg was 25 years old (he turned 26 later on April 16) when he married Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, who was then aged 24 (she turned 25 later on March 22), on February 14, 1981.

Crown Prince Cyrus Reza Pahlavi of Iran was 25 years old (he turned 26 later on October 31) when he married Princess Yasmine Pahlavi (Etemad-Amini), who was then aged 17 (she turned 18 later on July 26), on June 12, 1986.

Newlyweds: Zara is 30 and Michael 32 (he will turn 33 in October)

Prince William of Great Britain was 28.
Catherine Middleton was 29.

HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg was 30, Countess Stephanie de Lannoy was 28.

Prince Felix of Luxembourg was 29. Claire Lademacher was 28.

It's interesting to me ,were any princes at the time of their first marriage in their fifties?The only I know is Prince Albert of Monaco who is due to marry soon

50 even now is considered old for a first marriage. There have been a rare occasion in history. Recently?? Albert as you said and Prince Bertil but we know why he waited till he was so old. Second or third marriage at an advanced age was common.

George III's sons did. After the death of Charlotte, his unmarried sons rushed to marry. They were older in life when they did, more then 1 over 50

-William IV was 53 when he married Adelaide
-Victoria's dad was 51 when he married her mother, in a double ceremony with William and Adelaide.
-Ernst August was 44 when he married Frederica
-Adolphus was 44 when he married Augusta

Of the sons who married (seven married, 2 died in childhood) only 2 married before 40. Well 3, but Augustus of course married without royal consent. George IV was 33 when he married Caroline. Frederick was 28.

Many of their wives were also older for those days, though not a 1st marriage for a few. Frederica (Ernst's wife) was 37 (3rd husband), Adelaide was 26 (was her first), Victoria was 32 (2nd marriage). Frederica (Frederick's wife) was 24. Caroline was 27. Augusta was only 20.

Jerome Napoleon was 56 when he married Licia Innocenti in 2013. She was 49.

Alexandre of Belgium was 49 when he married Lea Wolman in 1991. She was 40.

Two more examples:
Fürst Wittekind zu Waldeck un Pyrmont was 52 when he married, in 1988, Countess Cecilie von Goëß-Saurau, who was then 32.
Fürst Johannes von Thurn und Taxis in 1980 was 54 when he married Countess Gloria von Schönburg-Glauchau, aged just 20.

Archduke Christoph of Austria was 24. Adelaide Drape-Frisch was 22.

Anne-Marie of Denamark: 18
Konstantin II. Greece, her husband: 24
He died this year.

They are related together.

Haakon and Mette-Marit were 28 years old when they got married. Their birthdays are respectively in July 20 and August 19. This year both will turn 50.

Back
Top Bottom