The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Commoner

Questions about Royals and General Miscellania

what message boards do you think the royals, we all enjoy following, read. on the miller sisters board their was a poster who attended university with prince nicholas of greece,i think i read somewhere that the duke of sax-coburg posted on a board(not sure which one)and on alt talk royalty their is a horrible little man (racist,sexist and so on),the count gudenus. does anyone know of others?

Old 05-20-2004, 12:10 PM
CathyEarnshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by kcc@May 20th, 2004 - 11:00 am
what message boards do you think the royals, we all enjoy following, read. on the miller sisters board their was a poster who attended university with prince nicholas of greece,i think i read somewhere that the duke of sax-coburg posted on a board(not sure which one)and on alt talk royalty their is a horrible little man (racist,sexist and so on),the count gudenus. does anyone know of others?
I sincerely doubt that the Poster known as the duke of Saxe-Coburg is a Coburg because the head of the family Prince Andreas has never changed his surname to Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg ...

there are no other dukes of Saxe-Coburg ...

as for Count Gudenus - sadly, he is a member of the Gudenus family. He is in his 60s, lives in France, and is married to a Vietnamese woman, and has one daughter.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:34 AM
Commoner

thank you for the reply marlene.i forgot to mention the poster on this board who claims to be a member of the schornborn-wiesentheid family,is he the genuine article or a no-acount count.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Gentry

His birthday and everything matches up, but that doesn't really prove anything.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Majesty

poor things if they read this forum what would they think of us that follows them
Old 12-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Majesty

anniversaries in the year 2005

some anniversaries in the year 2005

25th anniversaries
Birthday
Prince Hamzah of Jordan (1980)

40th anniversaries
Birthday
Countess Sophie of Wessex (1965)
Princess Stéphanie of Monaco (1965)
Infante Cristina of Spain (1965)

50th anniversaries
Birthday
Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg (1955)
Prince Lorenz of Belgium (1955)

60th anniversaries
Birthday
Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein (1945)
Old 12-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Majesty

have i missed any birthday anniversaries
what about wedding or as regents
Old 12-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Lightbulb

Not sure if you mean this but November 22, 2005 will mark the 30th anniversary of the swearing-in of King Juan Carlos.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Lilian of Sweden (1915) - 90 years old on 30 August 2005!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackswife
Not sure if you mean this but November 22, 2005 will mark the 30th anniversary of the swearing-in of King Juan Carlos.
yes i was thinking about these kind of things
Old 12-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Nobility

June 7, 2005 will be the centennial of, in want of a better word, the ending of the Swedish-Norwegian union, Norway's independence and making of our own nation, and thus the centennial of the Norwegian royal family :) The Norwegian royal family was "elected", meaning that Prince Carl of Denmark demanded a referendum deciding if Norway was going to be a republic or a monarchy. And the little royal family came to Norway in November 1905 to a wore-down palace(the Swedish king didn't stay in it so often).

I think there will be celebrations throughtout the year, also in other countries than Norway, such as UK (since Queen Maud was British, and King Olav was born there), Sweden and Denmark (since King Haakon was Danish).

Anyway, it's a big thing in Norway that involves a lot of royal activity
Old 12-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

In Great Britain,The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a lot of activities to mark 60th anniversary of the end of the World War II.
On celebrating the independence of Norway,King Harald and Queen Sonja will visit Great Britain,Sweden,USA,Denmark.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 01-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

How does a royal family start?

How does a monarchy start? who chooses the royal family? basically how is it determined what family should be royal and how royal families started.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

In case of Norway: The current royal family was elected by the people in 1905. The man elected to be the king was the Danish Prince Carl who was married to the British Princess Maud. In this case I think major league politics played a part, as the newly independent Norway depended on the major players in Europe to be able to stand on their own legs at first. Carl and Maud, who were related to most of Europe's royal families: Great Britain, Russia, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Prussia... had an excellent starting point.

Earlier in Greece they elected Prince Vilhelm of Denmark for many of the same reasons the Norwegians elected his nephew: his connections.

Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte was adopted by the Swedish king as his successor.

Belgium became a monarchy of its own when the heir to the throne of the Netherlands was a female, as far as I understand it. The line to the throne back then in Belgium could only come to a male.

Monarchies in Europe tend to go far back, and at one point in history one of the chiefs gathered more power than the others. Or at various other points in the years to come when someone was more political clever than his opponents, or something like that.

(You also have the story of the English cricket star who was offered the throne of Albania.)
Old 01-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Commoner

Could you elaborate on that cricket star being offered the throne of Albania. When did that happen? It seems a little weird to me.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't recall where I read it, but the cricket star was, from what I googled, C. B. Fry. http://www.google.com/search?q=crick...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 01-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Belgium became a monarchy of its own when the heir to the throne of the Netherlands was a female, as far as I understand it. The line to the throne back then in Belgium could only come to a male.
No, that was Luxembourg when Wilhelmina became the Dutch Queen.

Belgium became independent from The Netherlands in 1830 after the Belgian Revolution.

And The Netherlands is official a monarchy since 1815. But in 1579 The Netherlands became independent, because the Eight Years' War which was lead by Willem, Prince of Orange. After Willem was murdered, his son became the leader as stadtholder. All stadtholders (holland, zeeland, friesland) that follow were members of the family van Oranje-Nassau ( the present royal family). In 1794 Napoleon won the war with The Netherlands and made of the country a Kingdom, with his brother as King. When Napoleon was gone, the family van Oranje-Nassau came back and the son of the last stadtholder became king.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for correcting :)
Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Majesty

has there been more then 2 queens in a kingdom
we have in belgium 2 queens today
in sweden i think there was at one time 3 queens at the same time 2 queens was widows can maybe obe of the swedish experts say if i am right

in jordan is there 2 or three queens today
Old 03-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Which King and Queen of a certain country had the most royal children? I know Britians Queen Elizabeth II was doing quite well with four but what other royal families had the most children, they can be the new generation or way back in history.:)