The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd guess that would be unlikely.

If you are prince to Denmark, you are acknowledged to be in the line of succession and you will get a diplomatic passport. - No BRF members have that title.

If you have the title of prince of Denmark, you belong to the extended family of the DRF but you are not in the line of succession. And then you may get a diplomatic passport, depending on the political circumstances. No BRF members, perhaps with the exception of Prince Phillip (?) has that title.

As I see it the Duke of Cambridge would be considered a foreign ex-royal in the eyes of the Danish Foreign Ministry.
It would depend on the whether the BRF was removed legally or by some sort of force, a revolution, invasion or a coup. - In that case the BRF may still be viewed as the legal heads of state of Britain and should they seek asylum in DK, I can easily imagine they would get a diplomatic status, perhaps even a passport.
However, should the BRF be abolished legally then they are ordinary foreign citizens and why should DK (or any other country) offer a diplomatic passport to a foreign (and probably still British) citizen who may or may not settle in DK?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you Muhler

Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I apologise in advance if this is the wrong thread. I have a question, I've read somewhere that Denmark, upon request offers diplomatic passports to agnatic (male-line) decendents of King Christian IX of Denmark

Lets just pretend the BRF is abolished, would The Duke of Cambridge as a member of the Royal House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and an agnatic decendent of Christian IX of Denmark be eligable for a diplomatic passport? What do people think of the Duke of Cambridge's chances of being offered a diplomatic passport?
Queen Margrethe II agnatic desendents:

Christian IX > Frederick VIII > Christian X > Frederick IX > Margrethe II

The Duke of Cambridge's agnatic desendents

Christian IX > Prince Andrew >Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark > The Prince of Wales >The Duke of Cambridge

Can I be a bit pedantic?

As this point in time, as far as we know, William has no descendents as he isn't yet a father.

The people listed are all his ancestors.

I can see the Danes givng the BRF passports based on their dual line descent from Christian IX (both The Queen and Philip are separately descendents of Christian.

Christian - Alexandra - George V - George V - Elizabeth - Charles - William (although in her lifetime Alexandra didn't have a claim to the Danish throne as females couldn't inherit - that changed in 1953).

Christian - William (George I of the Hellenes) - Andrew - Philip - Charles - William.

A lot would also come down to how official was Philip renounciation of his Greek and Danish titles. There is no real documentation or legislation accepting that renounciation.

My mother was working in the British High Commission in 1947, when the engagement was announced and still there in 1952 when The Queen ascended the throne and the information they were told from BP at both times was that Philip was still in the line of succession to both the Greek and Danish thrones and had him listed as a Prince of Greece and Denmark on some documents they used during the 1954 tour of Australia (internal stuff that was issued to staff - my mother still had friends at the High Commission at the time who gave her a copy knowing her interest in the BRF).
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for correcting my post, regarding ancestors and descendents
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

My grandmother always maintained that there is no written record of Philip renouncing his Greek and Danish claims to the throne, and that Philip, his children and male-line grandchildren are Princes/Princesses of Greece and Denmark, and also there appears to be no record that the government of Greece accepted any verbal renunciation, if indeed there was one.
Whether this is true or not I have no idea.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Courtier

More pictures of the little house in Laeken:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Royal Highness

Did Queen Alexandra of England attend the Chelsea Flower Show?