The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
A mistress is a woman (married or single) that has a relationship with a married man for a period of time. Sometimes it's a short time, other times it's long term or it's an on again off again relationship with may last for a long time. That my definition of a mistress. It's not a one-night stand.

Hi, nascarlucy. Maybe my understanding is incorrect about Jazmin's mother. I thought she and Albert "hooked up" during a vacation and did not have a long-term/ongoing/onandoff relationship...which is why I referred to her as a one-night-stand. I do know that the mother of his second known/acknowledged child was a long-standing affair that continued even after the birth of their son. Is my understanding incorrect about Albert and Jazmin's mother? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Rascal

Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

What I was saying was a general statement as I don't know what the relationship was between Albert and Jazmin's mother.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Nobility

That's cool...my definition of mistress is pretty much the same as yours btw.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Basically Albert did not have a long term relationship with Tamara (Jazmin's mother) but he did have one with Nicole (Alex's mom). I don't believe it was exclusive but that is the topic for another thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Quite a number of royals are born out of wedlock, too. I hope they will model a good family. If the people has a wrong model, the entire society suffers.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Aristocracy

I read that Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria had at least one child (daughter Helen) with his long-time secret lover Anna Nahowski. Is it true, or just rumour?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetraHel View Post
I read that Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria had at least one child (daughter Helen) with his long-time secret lover Anna Nahowski. Is it true, or just rumour?
Anna Nahowski's diaries were published in 1986, but I don't believe she came right out and said that she had children with Franz Joseph. Whatever the truth of the matter, Anna was paid millions in today's money by the Habsburgs to keep her secrets.

Helene was married in 1911 to the composer Alban Maria Johannes Berg, and is reported to have confided to her close associates that she was in fact, the Emperor's daughter.

Franz Joseph and Anna's relationship lasted for 14 years (overlapping his affair with Katarina Schratt), and the German Wikipedia article about Anna says there is some real speculation that her son, Franz-Joseph (Frank) Nahowski, was the son of the Emperor as well.

Apparently, on what would be the Emperor's 100th birthday (18 Aug 1930) Frank Nahowski severed the little finger of his left hand and placed it on the Emperor's grave stone. He was later declared insane and institutionalized.

I have seen at least one descendant chart showing both Helene and Frank as the Emperor's children, but no sources were referenced for the entries.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe View Post
As far as i can remember Queen Margrethe of Denmark tolde in the serie "A royal family" that the littel girl was put up for an adoption because it was not the best story to tell if Thyra was going to marry in to another royal family with alot of power and welth.

It is amazing that this 'little baby' - was never traced, discovered, outed!

I hope she lived a life with love all around her, when I heard about her parents' story it made me cry, he must have loved her so much to end it all because he'd caused her to be shamed.

There quite possibly is a Greek family out there, (besides QM Sister), with very strong ties to the DRF.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Serene Highness

Up until recent times, things like this were carefully hidden. A child born out of a wedlock to a royal (usually man) and a commoner who was put up for adoption might never be told the truth about their true parentage. Or the people adopting them were not told of this royal ancestry. Birth certificates then were most likely altered to conceal the truth. This way it would be highly unlikely that this story would get out especially if the parents who adopted them didn't know.

If they were adopted by royal relatives or people of noble or aristocratic backgrounds, then most likely they would either discover the truth or their parents would figure it out since many of them are very close knit. I would think to avoid detection that the child might be placed with a family who had wealth but were not nobility or of aristrocratic backgrounds. One would have to wonder how many people that are out there are related to royality and don't know it.

If the child stayed with the biological mother or the mother's family, they would probably be told at some point the truth. How they would handle this or what they would do with this information would vary with the person. Some of these children had distant relationships with their biological father (there was an understanding that this person was their father but it was never mentioned or discussed). Other had no contact with their fathers and went about their life.

Very complex issue even though it's not complex.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Nobility

Out-of-wedlock children are nothing new in the Grimaldi family; their dynasty was practically founded on illegitimacy. Charlotte, Sovereign Princess of Monaco (1898-1977) was born the illegitimate daughter of Prince Louis II of Monaco and his mistress, Marie Louvet. They eventually married and legitimized Charlotte, and being an only child, she was able to rule Monaco after her father's death.

Queen Victoria's grandson, Prince Albert of Schleswig-Holstein (son of Princess Helena) fathered an illegitimate daughter, Valerie Marie, with a Prussian noblewoman named Bertha, who died shortly after giving birth. Valerie was immediately adopted by the Schwalb family.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

Very interesting stories. I bet if you go into any royal household's history you will find countless examples over the centuries of these children being born. Many of them lived very quiet lives without being known. Others seemed to be in the limelight to a certain degree.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Aristocracy

In centuries past kings generally didn't bother to hide their illegitimate children...some of them were quite proud about it, or so it seems. A good many of them were given titles and properties.

MM
Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Majesty

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere on this thread, so I thought I'd add that Tsar Aleksandr II of Russia had (I believe) three out-of-wedlock children with his mistress Yekaterina Dolgorukaya. The children were later known as Prince/Princess Yurievskii.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

Especially during the Reign of Charles II. Taxpayers paid the expenses of some of these children and I would imagine taxpayers at the time paid for the titles and properties as well. Even he said having all these children was getting expensive.

Today this would never fly and it would never happen. Can you imagine what the reaction in Britain would be if Prince Charles or Prince Andrew admitted to fathering several children out of wedlock with several different women. putting them on public display, bragging about this while being interviewed and then giving these children titles and properties?

Their countrymen/women would be outraged to say the least. People would be asking them "What were you thinking?" Or they would say that they would have to pay for all these children that they fathered, not the taxpayer.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere on this thread, so I thought I'd add that Tsar Aleksandr II of Russia had (I believe) three out-of-wedlock children with his mistress Yekaterina Dolgorukaya. The children were later known as Prince/Princess Yurievskii.
Oooh yes he did! I completely forgot about Alexander II! However, they married less than a month after the death of the tsar's first wife, Maria Alexandrovna. So the children were legitimized, but never included in the line of succession. They were Ekaterina, Georgy, Olga and Boris.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Oooh yes he did! I completely forgot about Alexander II! However, they married less than a month after the death of the tsar's first wife, Maria Alexandrovna. So the children were legitimized, but never included in the line of succession. They were Ekaterina, Georgy, Olga and Boris.
Thank you . I was pulling that out of my memory, so mistakes were going to be unavoidable. It's been a while since I read anything on the Romanovs.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Charles does have income-generating property that he could conceivably confer property upon children out of wedlock, but it's my understanding that only the Queen can confer titles.

Prince Andrew has no substantial properties to confer on anyone (I believe the Queen is largely responsible for endowing him with income, but whether he can give any of that income permanently to anyone else, I don't know - I'd like to know). It seems the Queen is set on the two legitimate princesses having jobs - and refused Andrew's request for Beatrice to be a working royal and follow in Andrew's footsteps - doubtful there's enough in that particular pie to be liberally distributed to other kids (as opposed to back in the days of the Plantagenets, Tudors or Stuarts).