Names For Royal Grandparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Felicity M

Nobility
City
Brisbane
Country
Australia
I have often wondered what do the grand children of royals call thier grandparents, such as what do Prince Henrik get called by Christian and Isabella?

All the royal grandparents that I know about for sure (from books/articles/documentarie) fall into the normal range of grandparent names - simply Grandpa and Grandma in whatever language, or sometimes a unique name that's developed within a family for whatever reason. Here's the ones I've heard about:

Henrik: Margrethe referred in a birthday toast to the kids calling him Grandpapa (French)
Harald and Sonja: Bestepappa and Bestemamma (just Grandpa and Grandma in Norwegian); and I read somewhere that Marius, their step-grandchild, calls them BesteHarald and BesteSonja
Astrid of Norway: Nonni (I don't think it means anything and I don't think it's a common name for grandmothers in Norway, but it's also what she, Harald, and Ragnhild called their maternal grandmother Ingeborg of Sweden)
Sofia: When the children were very small she said that they called her Amama, but later once she was a little older Leonor was heard to say Abu (short for Abuela=grandmother) during a photo shoot
Constantine and Anne-Marie: He said in an interview quite a few years ago that they were Apapa and Amama, which is a tradition in the family.
Elizabeth II: I think I read once where William had referred to her as Granny
Queen Maud of Norway: Granny (in English), because she was born an English princess

I love how Norwefian grandkids call Harald and SOnja Bestemamma and Bestepappa.
But even more adorable is Maurius with his BesteHarald and BesteSonja. :))

Somewhere it was mentioned that William used to call his grandmother "Garry" instead of Granny :)

It's so adorable when they do that youd on't want to correct them. My niece used to call my dad "Umpa" because she couldn't say 'Grandpa' yet.

I think Queen Margrethe's grandchildren (Christian and Isabella at any rate) call her 'farmor', in one of the videos in the series 'The Royal Family at Work', that's how Frederik refers to her with his children.

Does anyone know what the Belgian Royal children call Albert and Paola?
Or what Prince Philip of the UK is called by his grandchildren?

Paola said once in an interview that they call her grandmother in Italian - which I think is nonna.

:previous: I translated from english to Italian on google and it said that nonna means grandmother in Italian

Yes, the danish Prince Consort is called Grandpapa by his grandchildren. That´s the french word for "Granddad".

QMII is called Farmor by the grandchildren.

Rainier of Monaco was called Pappi by his grandchildren (well at least Andrea called him that way in a video, Caroline also taught him that Rainier's name is Monseigneur)

I heard somewhere (the BBC I think) that Prince Philip is known as Grandad but QEII is always know as Ma'm.

I heard somewhere (the BBC I think) that Prince Philip is known as Grandad but QEII is always know as Ma'm.

Can't remember where I read it but I've seen it several places where HM is called "Granny"

The Queen Mother was called Gan Gan and the Queen is called Granny.

I have read that Peter Phillips refered to his grandparents as Granny and Grandpa. He mentioned it in his pre wedding interview in Hello in 2008.

I have also read in many articles about William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie, that they call QEII - Granny.

Estelle of Sweden can't talk yet but I wonder what she will call the King and Queen.

Reportedly QEII called her grandfather, King George V...Grandpa England

Somewhere it was mentioned that William used to call his grandmother "Garry" instead of Granny :)

I read about this also, only about Harry, rather than William. Of course both boys could have called their grandmother that when they were just learning to talk.

Estelle of Sweden can't talk yet but I wonder what she will call the King and Queen.
Possibly morfar (mother's father) and mormor (mother's mother) and for Daniel's parents farfar (father's father) and farmor (father's mother), the Swedish names for grandfather and grandmother.

Princess Beatrice seemed to refer to the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (her great-granny) as Gang Gang in a recent documentary. At least that's how I heard it.

I think the Amama and Apapa goes all the way back to King Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark I think, most of their grandchildren seem to have referred to them like that.

I just curious as to what the grandchildren call Prince Phillip?

I've read a few of these posts. I wonder how many grand parent royals get called Nanna or Nanny.

MichelleQ2 said:
Reportedly QEII called her grandfather, King George V...Grandpa England

I read an interview with Princess Margaret dismissing this charming story, saying she & her sister were far too scared of him to call him anything of the sort!

:previous:
But wasn't it HM who could wrap King George V around her little finger? I also recall reading somewhere that she was his favourite grandchild.

I think the Amama and Apapa goes all the way back to King Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark I think, most of their grandchildren seem to have referred to them like that.

I also remember reading that Nikolai II's children called Empress Maria Fiodorovna Amama as well.

Back
Top Bottom