The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Empress Leopoldina of Brazil had seven children between April 4, 1819, and December 2, 1825. Seven children in six years and a half. Died in December 1826 after a miscarriage at the age of 29.

Empress Teresa Cristina of Brazil had four children between February 23, 1845, and July 19, 1848. Four children in three years and a half.

Princess Leopoldina of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (neé Princess of Brazil) had four sons between May 19, 1866, and September 15, 1870. Four sons in four years and a half. Died in typhoid fever in February 1871 at the age of 23.

Princess Maria Elizabeth of Brazil had twelve children between June 6, 1938, and July 14, 1959. Twelve children in 21 years (the last pregnancy was with twins).
Several pregnancies in a short period of time can be dangerous to the life of the mother.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Several pregnancies in a short period of time can be dangerous to the life of the mother.
In fact, Empress Leopoldina's miscarriage was due a fall from the stairs of the Imperial Palace.

And which's the relation between typhoid fever and pregnancy?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Lady Kathleen's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, United States
Posts: 70
Princess Maria Pia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (wife of Robert I, Duke of Parma) had twelve children in twelve years, and died in childbirth. Robert then then married Infanta Maria Antonia of Portugal and had twelve more children, including the future Empress Zita.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen View Post
Princess Maria Pia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (wife of Robert I, Duke of Parma) had twelve children in twelve years, and died in childbirth. Robert then then married Infanta Maria Antonia of Portugal and had twelve more children, including the future Empress Zita.
And Princess Maria Ana died at age of 96. Just like Princess Maria Elizabeth of Brazil, she also had twelve children and died at the age of 96.

Having a big number of pregnancies don't mean that a woman will die at childbirth.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
And which's the relation between typhoid fever and pregnancy?
Many pregnancies in a short time weakens the body, and the stronger/healthier a person is, the better are their chances to survive an infection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
And Princess Maria Ana died at age of 96. Just like Princess Maria Elizabeth of Brazil, she also had twelve children and died at the age of 96.

Having a big number of pregnancies don't mean that a woman will die at childbirth.
It all depends on how robust/healthy a woman was, if she suffered from other health issues too, even one pregnancy could be detrimental to her health. For a long time in human history pregnancy and childbirth have been a major cause of ill-health and death among women, regardless of their social status, and still is in some parts of the world.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Lady Kathleen's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, United States
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

And Princess Maria Ana died at age of 96. Just like Princess Maria Elizabeth of Brazil, she also had twelve children and died at the age of 96.

Having a big number of pregnancies don't mean that a woman will die at childbirth.
I didn't say it did.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Many pregnancies in a short time weakens the body, and the stronger/healthier a person is, the better are their chances to survive an infection.

It all depends on how robust/healthy a woman was, if she suffered from other health issues too, even one pregnancy could be detrimental to her health. For a long time in human history pregnancy and childbirth have been a major cause of ill-health and death among women, regardless of their social status, and still is in some parts of the world.
Well, having lots of children in a short period of time was pretty common by that time.

Some women died at childbirth, others had a dozen of children and lived to be 80 or 90 years old.

And you're right. It all depends robust/healthy a woman is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen
Queen Victoria's granddaughter, Princess Margarete of Prussia, had four children in three years (two were twins). She had a second set of twins later on.
My brother's friend Amy has a twin sister, and their older brother and sister are also twins.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
My brother's friend Amy has a twin sister, and their older brother and sister are also twins.
Princess Maria Elizabeth of Brazil had twin daughters two months shy from her 45th birthday.

Princesses Maria Teresa and Maria Gabriela of Orleans-Braganza (neé Princesses of Brazil).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,034
My great grandma had 14 sons and no daughters. The last two were twins born at 52.
The Irish started late in those days. Every generation known to me had 10-14 children, but my grandma was very insistent that her 6 living children have few children, so there were only 3 of us in the next generation, out of the 6. And now I have no sibling, no cousin who is not incommunicado in Alaska, no niece, no nephew. On the other side of my family my aunts died of Porphyria and had no children. So you can have a big big big family and it can dwindle to nothing, just as GeorgeIII's family dwindled to only Queen Victoria and I think one other female heiress. I guess my relatives are somewhere out there, probably half the Irish in America. They dropped babies like going out for brunch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel
My great grandma had 14 sons and no daughters. The last two were twins born at 52.
The Irish started late in those days. Every generation known to me had 10-14 children, but my grandma was very insistent that her 6 living children have few children, so there were only 3 of us in the next generation, out of the 6. And now I have no sibling, no cousin who is not incommunicado in Alaska, no niece, no nephew. On the other side of my family my aunts died of Porphyria and had no children. So you can have a big big big family and it can dwindle to nothing, just as GeorgeIII's family dwindled to only Queen Victoria and I think one other female heiress. I guess my relatives are somewhere out there, probably half the Irish in America. They dropped babies like going out for brunch.
Wow, 52! That's how old my dad's maternal grandfather was when their last (and 11th) was born. My dad's paternal grandfather was 59 (yes, 59!) when my grandpa was born. He died when my grandpa was 21. My grandpa's mother was 46 when he was born, and he had one sister 4 years older. My maternal grandmother was 34, almost 35 when my mom was born (my maternal grandfather was 42) and 41 when my uncle was born (the baby of 6 kids.) My dad's parents were 35 when their youngest son of 5 children was born (only 1 was a girl), when my dad was almost 6. And my mom was 43 when my youngest brother was born; who's now 17. My parents are both turning 61 this year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
My great grandma had 14 sons and no daughters. The last two were twins born at 52.
The Irish started late in those days. Every generation known to me had 10-14 children, but my grandma was very insistent that her 6 living children have few children, so there were only 3 of us in the next generation, out of the 6. And now I have no sibling, no cousin who is not incommunicado in Alaska, no niece, no nephew. On the other side of my family my aunts died of Porphyria and had no children. So you can have a big big big family and it can dwindle to nothing, just as GeorgeIII's family dwindled to only Queen Victoria and I think one other female heiress. I guess my relatives are somewhere out there, probably half the Irish in America. They dropped babies like going out for brunch.

George III had a number of legitimate descendents as a number of his younger sons had children about the same time as Victoria. The most senior of which is the Hanover line from George III's fifth son - The Duke of Cumberland through his son, George. The Duke of Cambridge also had a son, George and daughters Augusta and Mary Adelaide. This list doesn't include those that died without issue.

Queen Mary was the child of Mary Adelaide while Ernest of Hanover is a direct descendent of the Duke of Cumberland.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,187
^^^ George III also had a number of illegitimate descendants: his third son, William IV, had 10 illegitimate children, the FitzClarences, and his sixth son had 2, the d'Estes. Victoria really just came to the throne through a series of bad luck; George III's first son's only child died, his second son had no children, and his third son had no legitimate children - Victoria the only child to the fourth son. The fifth and seventh sons also had legitimate children. In fact, when it comes down to it only 1 of George's surviving sons didn't have any children, although none of his 6 surviving daughters had any (only 3 of them married, as opposed to all 7 of his sons entering into some sort of marriage with at least one woman).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 348
Of his 13 children to reach adulthood, only 4 sons had legitamite chilldren, a fifth had kids from an invalid marriage. Of course, none of his daughters had kids, 3 didn't even marry.

George: had Charlotte
Edward: had Victoria

Ernst: had one son George. Three royal families can directly trace through him. Of course the main one would be EA, Princess Caroline's husband, the current Prince of Hannover. But The Greek and Spanish royal families as well. Sofia and Constantine's mother Frederica was born a princess of Hannover, and is the great-great granddaughter of George III's son Ernst.

Adolphus- his title and male line died out legitamitely with his only son George who never married. He had three illegitamite children, George who had three kids but no grandkids, Adolphus had one daughter who gave him grandchildren, and a third who never wed. But Adolphus had two daughters. Princess Augusta married the Duke of Mecklenberg-Strelitz, and her line continues through her daughters. Mary Adelaide, married the Duke of Tech and her daughter Mary was Queen of Great Britain. She also has descendents from two sons.

Augutus had two children from his invalid marriage, none from his valid. His son is one of the first reporter sufferers of MS, and never had children. His daughter wed, but she had no kids either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
My paternal grandfather was 33 when he married my grandmother, who was 24. He was 37 at the birth of their first child, my grandmother was 28. When the youngest child was born, he was 48, and she was 39. They had seven girls and one boy (my father, of course).

Seven of their children had children. I'm the youngest of twelve cousins.

Prince Pedro Henrique of Brazil was 28 when he married Princess Maria Elizabeth of Bavaria, who was 23. He was 29 when their first child, Prince Luiz, was born, and Princess Maria Elizabeth was 24. When their youngest daughters (twins) was born, he was 50 and she was 45.

Between them, their twelve children produced 29 grandchildren. Only Princes Luiz and Bertrand, and Princesses Isabel and Maria Gabriela are childless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,034
Thanks for the information on the other legitimate descendants of George III. I knew there were many illegitimate descendants. Probably Edward had other children besides Victoria, but the knowledge of them was suppressed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Thanks for the information on the other legitimate descendants of George III. I knew there were many illegitimate descendants. Probably Edward had other children besides Victoria, but the knowledge of them was suppressed.
I don't think the Duke of Kent had children with his mistress, none of King George III's sons were very discreet regarding their illegitimate children.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Thanks for the information on the other legitimate descendants of George III. I knew there were many illegitimate descendants. Probably Edward had other children besides Victoria, but the knowledge of them was suppressed.

Edward has at least two children from before he married. A daughter Adelaide born in 1789, her mother died giving birth to her. And a son Edward, who married but had no kids.He had an 18 year relationship wit Thérčse-Bernardine Montgenet, who accompanied him until his marriage. There is no recognized children, but some families claim descendence from them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

I don't think the Duke of Kent had children with his mistress, none of King George III's sons were very discreet regarding their illegitimate children.
It's said that he had two children by mistresses, actually.

1. Adelaide Victoria Auguste Dubus (1789-around 1832) by his mistress Adelaide Dubus
2. Edward Schenker Scheener (1789-1853) by his mistress Anne Gabrielle Alexadrine Moré

His longtime mistress was Madam de Saint-Laurent, also known as Julie de St Laurent or Therese-Bsrnadine Montgenet, and was with him from 1790 until 1818 when he got married. There is no evidence that they had children.

Information about Edward's illegitimate children is said to have been suppressed during the reign of Victoria, who didn't take kindly to illegitimacy. It could simply be that Edward didn't actually father these children and they're just an urban legend of sorts, or that he didn't acknowledge them in his life time. The children born to his brothers were born to long term mistresses - women that they would have likely married legally had they been allowed to. William IV was with Dorothea Jordan for 20 years, the Duke of Sussex married both his mistresses in contravention to the Royal Marriage Act. It makes sense that children born through these unions would have been acknowledged, while children born through more general liaisons with the Duke of Kent wouldn't have been.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
It's said that he had two children by mistresses, actually.

1. Adelaide Victoria Auguste Dubus (1789-around 1832) by his mistress Adelaide Dubus
2. Edward Schenker Scheener (1789-1853) by his mistress Anne Gabrielle Alexadrine Moré

His longtime mistress was Madam de Saint-Laurent, also known as Julie de St Laurent or Therese-Bsrnadine Montgenet, and was with him from 1790 until 1818 when he got married. There is no evidence that they had children.

Information about Edward's illegitimate children is said to have been suppressed during the reign of Victoria, who didn't take kindly to illegitimacy. It could simply be that Edward didn't actually father these children and they're just an urban legend of sorts, or that he didn't acknowledge them in his life time. The children born to his brothers were born to long term mistresses - women that they would have likely married legally had they been allowed to. William IV was with Dorothea Jordan for 20 years, the Duke of Sussex married both his mistresses in contravention to the Royal Marriage Act. It makes sense that children born through these unions would have been acknowledged, while children born through more general liaisons with the Duke of Kent wouldn't have been.
I am surprised, I don't think Victoria had any real issue with her Uncle's marriages or children born from them. The Duke of Sussex's second wife was created Duchess of Inverness in her own right. She had been unable to sit with the Duke at royal functions, due to her lower status, so Victoria has her raised to a Duchesss in her own right. If they had children, the title could have passed to them. So it seems at least the sake for her Uncle, Victoria could over look that. Her opinion on her father's children from other women may be a whole new issue.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Out of Wedlock Children and Succession Rights Kotroman General Royal Discussion 117 07-30-2014 11:14 AM
Princess Anne: Save the Children Fund, Charities and Patronages Alexandria The Princess Royal and Family 194 06-04-2014 04:13 PM
Number of Royal Children RoyalEnquirer Royal Chit Chat 210 10-04-2013 09:40 PM
Sheikh Mohammed's Children 7: June 2011 - January 2013 dazzling Current Events Archive 598 01-18-2013 05:29 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]