The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness

Moms of Royals by marriage

Well with just looking at the mom of Queen Rania I got to thinking about the special role that mom's of royals play. I particularly think of the mother of CP Mette-Marit. Well I guess it would be nice to know about these and other moms of royals-past and present.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Nobility

Queen Sofia of Spain

Queen Sofia has had a lot of pull in her children’ s lives. Basically she’s the one who the family seem to go to in order to get the blessings instead of her husband. In fact she had a lot of impact on Crown Prince Felipe’s choice in wife and future queen, if she didn’t like a girl then she was history. She did seem to approve of Letizia since Felipe married her.

Besides being the person to approve relationships she also seems to be a great grandmother. There have been plenty of pictures of Queen Sofia playing causually with her grand kids or just being a g.randmother. (I added pictures)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grand.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	163074   Click image for larger version

Name:	queensopia.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	163075  

Old 06-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Good idea! I had a similar one a few weeks ago and I´m now delighted, that someone has posted such a thread
I´ve wondered how much they help to raise the children (for example in MM´s case it seems as if her mum acts not just as grandma, but also as nanny-which is IMO very nice of her and probably the best for Ingrid and most of all for Marius).
And I´ve also wondered, how the relationships between the Royals (mainly monarchs) and the parents of the crown princesses are. Do they also meet every now and then for dinner? Or do they just meet at celebrations (baptisms) or by accident, when they both want to visit the crown princess and the grandchildren?
So does anyone know, how the relationships between the following Royals and in-laws are
-the danish Royal couple and the Donaldssons
-the norwegian Royal couple and MM´s mother (I don´t think we need to talk about Sven O. )
-queen Beatrix and the Zorreguietas (must be hard...officially Beatrix must more or less distance herself from them...but after all they are the grandparents of Amalia and the wee Royal in Maxima´s belly...and also Maxima seems to be very close to her parents )
-the belgian Royal couple and the d'Udekem d'Acoz'
-the spanish Royal couple and the Ortiz'

In some cases it might be hard to say, because some couple are not very long married...but maybe some friendships already seem to develop (?)
Old 06-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Good idea! I had a similar one a few weeks ago and I´m now delighted, that someone has posted such a thread
I´ve wondered how much they help to raise the children (for example in MM´s case it seems as if her mum acts not just as grandma, but also as nanny-which is IMO very nice of her and probably the best for Ingrid and most of all for Marius).
Mathilde's parents also have a similar arrangement in that they stay at Phillippe and Mathilde's home when the couple is out of the country on one of their trips. The d'Udekem d'Acoz family seem to be very much like Mette-Marit's mom in their discretion. I do not live in Europe so I do not have as much access to the European media, but I have never seen them address the media regarding the Belgian royal family, even to discuss their daughter or their grandchildren. I think the Belgian (and Norwegian) royal families appreciate this discretion and respect for privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
In some cases it might be hard to say, because some couple are not very long married...but maybe some friendships already seem to develop (?)
I think I've read that there is a good friendship between Queen Beatrix and the Brinkhorst family (parents of Princess Laurentien, wife of Prince Constantijn) as Laurentien's father used to be part of the government and no doubt Beatrix had encountered him now and then. (I wonder too, if Beatrix is friendly with Princess Marilene's father, who also held a government position.)
Old 06-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Royal Highness

I guess I would like to know the answer's to Lena's questions and also mothers of some past royals like the Queen Mother and Queen Victoria. I know QV's mom had alot of influence, but one rarely knows about the Queen Mum's mother. Also I would like to know info on QNoor's mother, her grandparenting, and how they get along.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria

I think I've read that there is a good friendship between Queen Beatrix and the Brinkhorst family (parents of Princess Laurentien, wife of Prince Constantijn) as Laurentien's father used to be part of the government and no doubt Beatrix had encountered him now and then. (I wonder too, if Beatrix is friendly with Princess Marilene's father, who also held a government position.)

Now as you mention it...of course I would also want to know, how the relationships between the in-laws of the second and third born (and so on...) and the Royal parents are. So when you know something, please tell.

Thank you for the information, you have given me Alexandria.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Silvia´s mother Alice de Toledo Sommerlath was very close to her son-in-law and her grandchildren in Sweden.

During the 80´s she and her husband Walther often went to Sweden and every summer they stayed at Solliden.

In the last years of her life (Walther Sommerlath died in 1990) Alice Sommerlath sstayed at Drottningholm with the royal family. She was senile and had a hard time remembering her family and what had happend in the past.
Silvia once said that in the years before her death in 1997, Alice always sat and waited for Walther to come back in from his daily walk. Very sad...

Here´s some photos of Alice de Toledo Sommerlath with her husband and daughter!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alice.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	163117   Click image for larger version

Name:	aliceandwalther.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	163118   Click image for larger version

Name:	alicesilviawalther.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	163119   Click image for larger version

Name:	alicewithbabysilvia.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	163120  

Name:	dancingatnobel.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	163121   Click image for larger version

Name:	motheranddaughter.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	163122   Click image for larger version

Name:	nobel1981.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	163123  
Old 06-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Courtier

Mary Rhys-Jones

Mary Rhys-Jones is the mom of Sophie, the Countess of Wessex. She used to work as a secretary before meeting her husband. She left the work place to raise Sophie and her brother David. Friends of Sophie describe her as the archtypical mom always mothering all of them. She took on a part time job of typing at home so that the couple could afford to send Sophie and David to a better school. Afterwards she become a charity worker, and even danced with Prince Philip at one of the events.
The Rhys-Jones have an interesting relationship with their Windsor in-laws. They once attended Ascot with the Queen and the whole family was invited to the Royal Windsor Horse Show this year. Mrs Mary Rhys-Jones is currently battling colon cancer. She remains very much a private person, and although she is not high profile. She appears to be a very humble and nice person.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sophie%20and%20mum.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	163124  
Old 06-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Courtier

It is very interesting to know the royal's inlaw....I hope many more about them and their photos will post here.....
Old 06-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Crownprincess Marys mother was named Henrietta Donaldson.
She moved from Scotland to Tasmania in 1963, and lived in Hobart with her family. She worked at the university of Tasmania as a secretary until her tragic death.
In 1997 Etta Donaldson died during a heart surgery. She was 55 years old
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	etta.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	163216  
Old 06-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

what about late Diana,Princess of Wales? her mother met Diana for her brother's wedding and lots of more! if you have dozen of Diana's mum with Diana before Diana's death in 1997 and her mum's death in years ago.

Sara Boyce
Old 06-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

ah, how could we forget Diana?!

Here she is with her mother Frances Shand-Kydd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	semester 1987.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	163598  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Courtier

Letizia Mom
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/...F15-728189.jpg
mother and sister of Letizia
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/...F15-728296.jpg
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Royal Highness

Doris Halaby, mother of Queen Noor. It would be nice to see her w/ her grandkids
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/membe...piphotos053334

Going to King Hussein's funeral
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/membe...piphotos567479
Old 07-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Commoner

I think it is good that despite what MM's father has been getting up to, her mother seems to have a lot of dignity and is able to hold her head high.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Laurentiens parents are one of the closest friends of Beatrix. She met Laurentiens mother in her studentdays in Leiden university already! Laurentiens father is still in gouverment and the present Vice Prime Minister & Minister of Economical affairs.

The Zorreguietta's and Beatrix have a bit of a problematic relationship, the queen and prince Claus did (and do) not approve of their past. I doubt that they will meet each other very often. However, the Zorreguietta's are staying in The Netherlands quite often, and where taking care of little Amalia when Maxima was delivering Alexia (apparently she did not want to come out of the swimmingpool to visit her new sister).
Old 10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
The Zorreguietta's and Beatrix have a bit of a problematic relationship, the queen and prince Claus did (and do) not approve of their past. I doubt that they will meet each other very often. However, the Zorreguietta's are staying in The Netherlands quite often, and where taking care of little Amalia when Maxima was delivering Alexia (apparently she did not want to come out of the swimmingpool to visit her new sister).
I thought Maxima's dad couldn't come to the wedding b\c of his past?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

That is true, but that was only for the wedding, which was seen as a state occassion. As the man is not convicted for anything he is free to travel and to attend private events such as the baptisms of his granddaughters. That is how the gouverment explains the situation though. It will be interesting to see if he will attend the enthronement of WA and Maxima (if he is still alive by that time).
Old 03-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if anyone can help update this thread a bit? Does anyone have photos of Mathilde, Maxima, Mette-Marit, Letizia, Masako's mothers that they can post? I think the mom's of these girls have been thrust into the limelight along with their daughters and have done a wonderful job of being supportive.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Here's a beautiful pic of Maxima's mother, Maria del Carmen.
Found it on ANP.