Mixed Royals and Group Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Now, a while ago there was a very succesfull thread in this forum about 'mixed royalty', which meant royals from different royal families in pictures together. I have looked through the entire chit chat forum (twice) but couldn't find it. And now I have my new photobucket, I just have to post new pictures, please join in (please become a bucketeer as well, or imageshack, or whatever, otherwse the lovely posts will be deleted).

Here a picture by Charles Hamarsten of King Carl-Gustavs 40th birthdday (?), his godmother Juliana is seated on the place on honour. Free champagne for those who can identify everybody!

19860430.jpg

Now here a picture, over 70 years old so no copyrights of spanish royals: I can only identify Queen King Alphonso XIII, the duke of Galleira (BabyBee's future husband) and Queen Maria-Christina. The occassion was probably the wedding of one of Alphonso's sisters?

espagnol.jpg

Found this picture on the site of the glittering royals MB (originally Corbis), which Ademar made. The grouppicture of Margarethe's wedding:

guests02.jpg

From the same site: Princess Benedikte's wedding.

guestsb1.jpg

Marengo said:
Here a picture by Charles Hamarsten of King Carl-Gustavs 40th birthdday (?), his godmother Juliana is seated on the place on honour. Free champagne for those who can identify everybody!

This is quite the challenge you've posed Marengo!

I will take a stab -- though I most certainly won't get everybody.

Front row (left to right): Carl Philip, Madeline, Victoria

Second row: Queen Silvia and King Carl Philip of Sweden, Queen Juliana of the Netherlands

Third row: Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Queen Sofia of Spain, Queen Margrethe of Denmark, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands

Fourth row: King Baudoin of Belgium, King Juan Carlos of Spain, Princess Lilian of Sweden(?), Prince Henrik of Denmark

Fifith row: unknown man, Prince Bertil of Sweden(?), Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway

And somewhere in the sixth row I can see Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard Berleberg

In the sixth row (behind the unknown man) the first two on the left are the Lichtenstein couple -- is it Gina and Hans Adam?
In the seventh row to the left and then right of the woman in purple I believe are the current Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa of Luxemborg.

From the same source: Royalty gathered in Persepolis, Persia (Iran), for the celebrations of the 2500th jubilee of Persia in 1971.

guests12.jpg

Emily said:
In the sixth row (behind the unknown man) the first two on the left are the Lichtenstein couple -- is it Gina and Hans Adam?
In the seventh row to the left and then right of the woman in purple I believe are the current Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa of Luxemborg.

Gina is Hans-Adams mother, but it is his wife Marie-Aglae :) And it is Marie-Therese indeed, very slim still. Champagne for you Emily!

Alexandria said:
This is quite the challenge you've posed Marengo!

I will take a stab -- though I most certainly won't get everybody.

Front row (left to right): Carl Philip, Madeline, Victoria

Second row: Queen Silvia and King Carl Philip of Sweden, Queen Juliana of the Netherlands

Though as much as Carl-Phhilip resembles his father, it most certainly is Carl-Gustav who is seated next to Queen Sylvia (on her other hand King Olav of Norway btw). Anyway, this + Emily's finds) is about everybody I can identify as well (don't see any of the kings sisters), so join in with the champagne, it is weekend after all!

Marengo said:
Though as much as Carl-Phhilip resembles his father, it most certainly is Carl-Gustav who is seated next to Queen Sylvia.

D'oh! :rolleyes:

Marengo said:
so join in with the champagne, it is weekend after all!

At least we all got champagne!

Hmm, I'll take a stab at Princess Benedikte's wedding group though I don't know a lot of them.

I don't recognize any of the bridal attendants.

First row seated:

guy on left (?), Queen Louise (?) Sweden, King Carl Adolf Sweden, Queen Ingrid Denmark, King Frederik IX Denmark, Princess Benedikte, Prince Richard, the next two ladies appear to be Richard's relatives, King Olav (?) Norway, Queen Mother Elizabeth England, guy on right (?)

Second row standing:

first three on left (?), Prince Henrik Denmark, Crown Princess Margrethe Denmark, King Constantine Greece holding Princess Alexia (?), Queen Anne-Marie Greece, the rest on the right (?)

Third row standing:

first five on left (?), Crown Prince Carl Gustav Sweden, Crown Prince Harald Norway, Prince Claus Netherlands, Crown Princess Beatrix Netherlands, the rest on the right (?)

Fourth row standing:

I can't recognize any of them save the two rather homely looking men fifth and sixth from left. They're Margrethe's cousins, sons of Prince Knud.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee (June 2002)

(source : Corbis)
Who's the guy between Queen Sonja and Prince Phillip? And who are the ones that are extreme right in the back row standing?
Sorry about my ignorance, but I don't know much about Liechenstein, Luxemburg and stuff like that:eek:
And usually the big photos are at all the royal weddings, there's usually an official photo of the bride and groom with all their royal guests

Last edited:
Crisinaki - I had to chuckle when I saw your first question -- the guy between Sonja and Phillip is Sonja's husband, King Harald -- but it does look as though he has a white mustache due to the placement of a spot on the photo! The four people on the extreme back right are (from the 4th one in)
Grand Duchess Maria Theresa, her husband Grand Duke Henri, the retired Grand Duke and the - now deceased - retired Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte all of Luxemborg. The man who is the third in from the left is King Albert of Belgium and is the brother of Josephine Charlotte on the far right.

Well at least I know who Albert was;) :D
I got confused with King Harald on this picture, I don't know why but there's something different with him...
I got my doubts even if I kind of know the Grand Dukes, thanks a lot for answering my questions and again sorry for the ignorance:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I looooooooooveeeeeeeeeeee this pictures
The first pic is so special
Queen Silvia looks very happy in it

i like see wedding pics with non-royals like CP Fred and CP Mary in May 2004 its so amazing pictures past of HM Queen Marthages and Prince Henrik, her sister also.

A Corbis pic of the guests from the wedding of Frederik and Mary.

Denmark, May 2004

3899c5bf.jpg

Detail from a larger but less clear pic, courtesy UPPA.

Wedding of Prince Joachim & Alexandra - 1995

1e3f7dbc.jpg

It seems very typical that in the picture from Princess Benedikte's wedding, that King Olav and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, were seated next to each other - that's how rumours start. The papers were sure they were planning on getting married. ;)

Last edited:
ysbel said:
Hmm, I'll take a stab at Princess Benedikte's wedding group though I don't know a lot of them.

I don't recognize any of the bridal attendants.

First row seated:

guy on left (?), Queen Louise (?) Sweden, King Carl Adolf Sweden, Queen Ingrid Denmark, King Frederik IX Denmark, Princess Benedikte, Prince Richard, the next two ladies appear to be Richard's relatives, King Olav (?) Norway, Queen Mother Elizabeth England, guy on right (?)

Second row standing:

first three on left (?), Prince Henrik Denmark, Crown Princess Margrethe Denmark, King Constantine Greece holding Princess Alexia (?), Queen Anne-Marie Greece, the rest on the right (?)

Third row standing:

first five on left (?), Crown Prince Carl Gustav Sweden, Crown Prince Harald Norway, Prince Claus Netherlands, Crown Princess Beatrix Netherlands, the rest on the right (?)

Fourth row standing:

I can't recognize any of them save the two rather homely looking men fifth and sixth from left. They're Margrethe's cousins, sons of Prince Knud.

1st row seated starts with Prince Knud of Denmark and Crownprincess Sybilla of Sweden. The two ladies next to Prince Richard are indeed his relatives: his mother and his grandmother.

2nd row standing, 1st 2 on the left: Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark, Princess Margaretha of Denmark, nee Pss of Sweden

the last row starts on the left with swedish princesses Desiree and Margaretha + husbands.

Scherezada said:
From Seegerpress
Max von Baden Kutscher v.l. Fürst Kraft zu Hochenlohe - Langenburg, Prinz Georg Willhelm von Hannover, Prinz Philip von England und seine Schwester Prinzessin Sophie von Hannover.

Thanks, do you know if this picture is taken in England and on what occassion? One of the Ascot races?

Also from the site of Ademar (and Corbis), two pictures with a lot of royals attending the wedding of Fabiola and Boudewijn:

wedding102.jpg

guests101.jpg

From the same source, grouppicture of the wedding of Beatrix and Claus:

guests.jpg

From corbis:

Royalty at Festival Performance
Original caption: Dutch Royal Rift Officially Denied. Stockholm: Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (third from right) takes his place among Royalty at a festival performance at a theater in Drottningholm, a royal castle outside Stockholm. The reported rift between Prince Bernhard and Queen Juliana ascribed to tension between the royal couple because of Queen Juliana's association with a faith healer was denied at a news conference called by the Dutch government June 15th. The royal members attending the performance are (left to right): Britain's Princess Margaret; England's Duke of Edinburgh; Queen Louise of Sweden; Prince Bernhard; Queen Elizabeth of England; and King Gustaf Adolf of Sweden.
1clearpx.gif

U1107876.jpg
Date Photographed: June 16, 1956 Location Information: Stockholm. Sweden

From Corbis:

The wedding of King Constantine II of the Hellenes and Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark:

HU026281.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Juliana greeting each other, during a statevisit in the 70-ties:

U1735857.jpg

grouppicture of Julaian & Bernhards silver jubilee:

U1329484.jpg

What a great thread, Marengo!
In the frist picture of King Carl-Gustaf's 40th, is that Queen Margrethe next to Queen Sofia? She looks amazing! So very glam!

From Corbis

Belgian statevisit to the Netherlands:

0000286045-016.jpg

0000286045-014.jpg

Marengo said:
1st row seated starts with Prince Knud of Denmark and Crownprincess Sybilla of Sweden. The two ladies next to Prince Richard are indeed his relatives: his mother and his grandmother.

2nd row standing, 1st 2 on the left: Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark, Princess Margaretha of Denmark, nee Pss of Sweden

the last row starts on the left with swedish princesses Desiree and Margaretha + husbands.

Thanks Marengo. I couldn't believe I couldn't recognize Prince Knud and Caroline Mathilde. When they were younger, they had very distinctive features. It's amazing that Crownprincess Sybilla looks almost as old as her father-in-law.

Little_star said:
What a great thread, Marengo!
In the frist picture of King Carl-Gustaf's 40th, is that Queen Margrethe next to Queen Sofia? She looks amazing! So very glam!

:) The thread used to be here one or two years ago, and was so succesfull that it needed a 2nd thread back then, but I am glad you like it. Yes, it is Margrethe, and I agree, she looks amazing!

--

to Ysabel:

I agree, they look the same age, but with her I think the grey hair does the trick, while the king still looks young (also compared to his son-in-law, the king of Denmark). I usually recognise Sybilla by her bonestructure, the jaw, which her son has as well, and Madelaine a bit (I hope this makes sense). And my trick to distinguish Caroline-Mathilde is to look at her teeth, not as distinctive as those of her sons and daughter, but you can see the resemblance.

Last edited:
norwegianne said:
It seems very typical that in the picture from Princess Benedikte's wedding, that King Olav and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, were seated next to each other - that's how rumours start. The papers were sure they were planning on getting married. ;)

That's funny, norwegianne :D Weren't they trying to marry him off to Princess Marina of Kent also? Quite the eligible bachelor, King Olav.

Back
Top Bottom