The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

3 weddings! No wonder they went on 4-months honeymoon

Old 05-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

These are some examples from Sweden.

Prince Oskar, younger brother of king Gustav V, son of king Oscar II and queen Sophia (of Nassau), fell in love with a lady-in-waiting, Ebba Munck af Fulkila. She was a noblewoman, but not even that was considered good enough for a prince. But they married, and Oskar lost his title.

The future king Gustav VI Adolf even had problems getting his permission to marry his future queen Louise Mountbatten. She wasn't considered a princess. But after some researches were done, they could get married at last.

Gustav Adolf's sons Sigvard and Carl Johan, who also are Bertil's brothers, are also examples of this of course.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
When Sophia married, she converted to Roman Catholicism from Greek orthodoxy, according to her bio.
Why did she have to get married with the orthodox ceremony too, since she became a catholic after all?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Serene Highness

Another love story(not sure if mentioned) was of the last Tsar of Russia Nicholas and Alexandria. queen Victoria really wasn't overjoyed by her granddaughters choice.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cde
Kerry,

The book Princess Lilian wrote is in swedish :( Offhand I think it is called My life with Prince Bertil. To my knowledge and I have looked hard there is no book in English on Lilian and besides some articles on the internet. If anyone knows of a book on English on them, Please tell me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
I was the one who originally put that into her Wikipedia profile

I think I have the book somewhere among my stuff that I've put away for storage, I read it about one or two years ago (some of the pictures in the newsletter about Princess Lilian are from it as well). But as cde said, it's not available in English.
cde and GrandDuchess,
Guys, thanks for the info and so sorry that the book isn't available in english.

GrandDuchess...you rock! Nice contribution to Wikipedia.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Serene Highness

Even though we don't know much about them, I would say Prince Max and Princess Angela of Liechtenstein since there were a lot of differences between them:

-her being a "commoner"
-her being American

I wish there was more out there about how they fell in love and how the relationship developed.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannis
Why did she have to get married with the orthodox ceremony too, since she became a catholic after all?
Because it was an agreement between Spain (aka franco's people and the pope) and Greece (aka Queen Frederika and the government) to get married on both rites as well as civily even if she was going to convert after all; their wedding was a power play more than anything
Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
I was the one who originally put that into her Wikipedia profile

I think I have the book somewhere among my stuff that I've put away for storage, I read it about one or two years ago (some of the pictures in the newsletter about Princess Lilian are from it as well). But as cde said, it's not available in English.
Its a shame her book isn't available in English. I think it would be very interesting to read. I really do like their love story. I think she was very dedicated to him. To stay with him for so long & not to be able to get married to him right away...now that is true love.