The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

When Sophia married, she converted to Roman Catholicism from Greek orthodoxy, according to her bio.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAdia
Wow, what a love story! I want to know more. Did Prince Bertil marry anyone else before Lilian? I want to know was she the only one for him. Did they have any children together? Or perhaps were they worried about the backlash of having out of wedlock kids? Did they live together while they were waiting to get married?
No, Prince Bertil waited until 1976 when he could marry Lilian, she was his first and only love and wife. Since they couldn't marry until they had reached a higher age, they did not have any children. Very unfortunate, but since things were as they were, it couldn't be helped. But today Lilian is like a grandmother for the royal children, she has always been very close to them, I guess they have been some kind of replacement for own children. Bertil and Lilian lived together in Stockholm all those years, she moved in with him in Villa Solbacken, and she became Sweden’s most secret co-habiter – officially she didn’t exist. Prince Bertil asked for understanding and respect, and the press kept quiet about it.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Well actually King Carl gave his consent for his uncle to marry Lilian. She was embraced well by all the Swedish people. Unlike Wallis Simpson and Edward.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Lightbulb

Not a modern-day example but the last tsar, Nicholas II, had to overcome his parents' objections to Alexandra. Neither of his parents thought she would be suited to be Tsarina but Nicholas was determined to marry her and in the end, of course, he did. A definite love match.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:41 PM

I LOVE the story of Bertil and Lilian! Here's a link to a better written story of their romance: http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/Gioffredo/041222.html

Here is the entire article:

Wednesday 22 December 2004
Sweden's Great War Time Love Story:

Bertil & Lilian

Edward and Mrs Simpson are often the first 'royal' couple we think of when we contemplate difficult royal romances. However, in that generation, there was in fact another couple. Though they are not so well known as David and Wallis, their tale is perhaps an even more poignant example of the often-uneasy relationship that exists between royal duty and the heart.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
When Sophia married, she converted to Roman Catholicism from Greek orthodoxy, according to her bio.
Yes, but their wedding became a religious thing and even the Pope had to give permission for the wedding
Old 05-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Gentry

I certainly think that Charles and Camilla qualify for this "award"! I must say, I detested Camilla at the beginning, but I have warmed to her over the past year or so, she truely makes Charles happy and has definitely worked on her image.

Another relationship that had to overcome obstacles (although I detest her) is Johan-Friso and Mabel, because of all the mob boss stuff that got drudged up. But unlike Charles and Camilla, I haven't warmed to Mabel, she just seems like a generally unpleasant woman.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
Unfortunately they did not have any children because they wed when they were in their sixties.
Now that is truly sad. But what an extraordinary story! That is the definition of true love.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Aristocracy

Felipe also struggled to marry Letizia. The Spanish Royal Family did not approve his choice at the beginning.

I also heard that Queen Margrethe II waited 3 years to gave her consent to the marriage of CP Frederik and CP Mary, but I don't know whether it is true.

I will need some clarifications.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bejoy
I LOVE the story of Bertil and Lilian! Here's a link to a better written story of their romance: http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/Gioffredo/041222.html
What a lovely story, was her first husband still alive when they married?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Aristocracy

I always loved the story of Beatrix and Claus. It was so unfair that people wouldn't accept him, just because he was German - most German WWII soldiers were just ordinary, decent guys who were sent to war!

I do love how he ended becoming so popular, though.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
What a lovely story, was her first husband still alive when they married?
Yes he was. Lilian divorced Ivan Craig, whom she was married to for a few years, after she met Prince Bertil in London.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Yes he was. Lilian divorced Ivan Craig, whom she was married to for a few years, after she met Prince Bertil in London.
I read on Wikipedia that Princess Lilian has published a book about her life with Prince Bertil. Has anyone heard of it? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by margotantoinette
I certainly think that Charles and Camilla qualify for this "award"! I must say, I detested Camilla at the beginning, but I have warmed to her over the past year or so, she truely makes Charles happy and has definitely worked on her image.
Tell me about it. They have come a long way. Their love endured even after all those years.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Aristocracy

Kerry,

The book Princess Lilian wrote is in swedish :( Offhand I think it is called My life with Prince Bertil. To my knowledge and I have looked hard there is no book in English on Lilian and besides some articles on the internet. If anyone knows of a book on English on them, Please tell me.

I remember reading that Charles and Camilla read the story Of Bertil and Lilian and were afraid that they were going to end up like them and decided to change their situation . (For some reason I don't think Charles knew the history of Bertil and Lilian until Bertil's death in 1997 ) Actually it was reading about C+C that got me interested in the Bertil and Lilian story.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Courtier

I don't think Charles and Camilla should be in this category. What was their main obstacle? Spouses? To this day, I don't see their relationship being justification for hurting so many others for such a long time.

I agree about Prince Bertil and Princess Lillian, though. Their story is very touching.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
I don't think Charles and Camilla should be in this category. What was their main obstacle? Spouses? To this day, I don't see their relationship being justification for hurting so many others for such a long time.
i think so too. that was 35 years of cheating, which was aggravated by the fact that it was also very public.

on the other hand, i am astonished with King Juan Carlos's and Queen Sofia's story. three wedding ceremonies definitely cemented their love to forever!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat

on the other hand, i am astonished with King Juan Carlos's and Queen Sofia's story. three wedding ceremonies definitely cemented their love to forever!
Imagine them trying to get a divorce!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Serene Highness

ha ha! well for one, i can't, because they seem so solid and very together; and two, if they ever did (heaven forbid!) then that is bound to get crazy.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
I read on Wikipedia that Princess Lilian has published a book about her life with Prince Bertil. Has anyone heard of it? Thanks for any info.
I was the one who originally put that into her Wikipedia profile

I think I have the book somewhere among my stuff that I've put away for storage, I read it about one or two years ago (some of the pictures in the newsletter about Princess Lilian are from it as well). But as cde said, it's not available in English.