Picture Identity

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystery royal portrait

This portrait is for sale on ebay, however the identitiy of the woman in the portrait is not known. I am trying to help the seller identify her. So far I noticed the dress she is wearing is consistent with the state robes of a British peer, a Duchess for instance. If any one has any idea who this could be I would appreciate the help. The gallery that sold it said the date was 1900 but the artist and subject remain unknown.

Attachments

• dagmar.jpg
    dagmar.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 425
My only contribution would be HRH The Princess Royal (Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife)?

It looks like Grand Duchess Augusta of Mecklenburg-Strelitz born Princess Augusta of Cambridge.

p.s - try and date the picture frame because that will give you some idea (if the frame is original) as to when the portrait was painted and then you can narrow it down.

I tried looking on the frame but no date existed, the frame is not to my knowledge original. Thanks for the suggestion.

It looks Victorian to me and that would match in with the idea of it being Princess Augusta. My advice would be to take it off of Ebay and send it to auction where the auctioneer will date the frame and find out who it is. Also, you'll reach a wider customer base and you'll get alot more for it.

You might be able to find the subject by doing research on the tiara. Many of these are well-known family jewels.

All the best,
marysusan

It looks very modern to me. Sort of like "the wife's face on the Mona Lisa".

Who is the lady in the portrait?

http://www.kleio.org/images/large/sforza/677.jpg

This is said to be Ippolita Sforza, born in 1481, died in 1520/1521. Daughter of Carlo Sforza (died 1483), Count of Magenta, illegitimate son of Galeazzo Maria Sforza.

http://www.naergilien.info/research...rts/Beatrice_DEstes_Tomb/beatricepainting.jpg

This one is said to be Beatrice d'Este (June 29, 1475 – January 2, 1497), Duchess of Milan, daughter of Ercole I. d'Este. And this painting is said to be the work of Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis and Leonardo da Vinci.

But it seems to me that these two portaits are identical to each other, :confused::confused:except some decorations(say the headbands, on Beatrice d'Este is a band , while on Ippolita Sforza is two chains of beads; and some clothes details, etc.). Could anyone identify the ladies in the painting? Are they actually the same person? If so, who is she? Beatrice d'Este, or Ippolita Sforza?Thanks~~:rolleyes:

Beatrice d'Este was married to a Ludovico Sforza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_d'Este.

Ippolita Maria Sforza was married to Alfonso, Duke of Calabria who later reigned as King of Naples.
Ippolita Maria Sforza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/SforzaTree.jpg

From what i understand they are sister's in law. Beatrice married Ippolita's brother.

Hope that helps.
x

Thanks lumutqueen. But you are actually talking about another Ippolita. Ippolita Maria Sforza, who married to Alfonso Duke of Calabria, was born in 1446, and the eldest daught of Francesco I Sforza. She was the sister of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan, who was grandfather of this Ippolita Sforza in the portrait through her father Carlo Sforza, Count of Magenta, who himself was an illegitimate son of Galeazzo Sforza. So she was actually the greataunt of the Ippolita Sforza I was referring to(the one in the first portait), who was born in 1481.

In fact, I just wonder if they are the same person in these two paintings, since they seem to be identical to me. :nonono: And if they are indeed one person, who is she then? Beatrice d'Este, or Ippolita Sforza, daughter of Carlo Sforza. Hope I make my question clear this time....:D

I think you should take in account that portraits in those days did not always faithfully represent the people they were supposed to represent. It's very much possible these are two different women, both painted to the Renaissance ideal, with only slight differences. I think their noses are different, for example. But that pretty much sums it up when it comes to the facial features.

Who is This Historical Royal Bride?

I apologize for being so vague with the details, but I was reading a Wikipedia article about a young, royal couple and didn't bookmark it correctly. Now I can't stop thinking about the story, and it's driving me crazy!

It pertained to a duke or king who fell in love with a young girl (aged 12-14). She was ill, and therefore her father (and the young man's retinue) encouraged him to look elsewhere, but he was in love with the girl and wed her anyway. She died shortly after their marriage (fever? pneumonia?) in his castle, and he was understandably heartbroken. I do not think he remarried.

I'm assuming it was around the medieval area, but could have been slightly later.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? I would love to identify the girl.

Thank you!

Possibly Princess Madeleine of France , one of King Francis I 's daughters ?

She lived from 1520 to 1537, she suffered from tuberculosis and married King James V of Scotland (who had asked repeatedly for her hand) only to die six months later aged 17.

Here is her Wikipedia's page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_of_Valois

Hello,
I have no idea where else to ask for help with this, so I figure you are all experts here and might give me some advice.

I was helping a distant relative clear out an estate and was given a bunch of stuff, one of which was an old photo album. Inside it I was surprised to discover a page of original photographs of King George VI, Queen Elizabeth (later to become the Queen Mother), Princess Elizabeth, etc.

I have very limited knowledge of royal artifacts but was able to find out that these photos were taken in 1951 at the Braemar Highland Gathering in Aberdeenshire.

The photos I have are similar (same vantage point) but definitely not the same as the press photos that are owned by Getty Images from the same event. I would venture to say that they were taken by the same photographer and that they were perhaps not chosen by Getty to be the chosen images to publish.

I have a total of 8 different photographs that I cannot find on any other site after an exhaustive search. They are all very good close up shots, the most interesting one to me is the close up of the then Princess Elizabeth's face through the car window alongside her parents.

I have attached the photos in this post.

Could anyone help or guide me where to go from here, to see if these have any value or if you have any other information? Many thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0666.jpg
    DSCN0666.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCN0668.jpg
    DSCN0668.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCN0667.jpg
    DSCN0667.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 300
Well, there is a market for photos of royals but before you offer them on eBay or anything perhaps you should check to see if they still are the photographer's property or the property of Getty Images!

Having ascertained that, if they aren't then I suppose you can always contact somewhere like Antiques Road Show to find out if they are worth anything and include a photo of the photographs concerned. Is there an Antiques Road Show (or something similar) in Canada? If not then the British one helps with enquiries I believe.

Last edited:
Thank you, yes I will check with Antiques Road Show as well as Getty Images!

I don't know about Canada, but here in New Zealand copyright lasts for 50 years AFTER the death of the copyright holder, who in this case would be the photographer.

Great pics, but i would think the one of the princess in the car with her parents is Princess Margaret.

I do believe you are correct about i being Princess Margaret, shows how much I know! I contacted Getty to see if they are copyright holders for these. Antiques Roadshow didn't have a forum and they don't do online appraisals/advice.

If Getty doesn't own them, then I don't have a clue how to go about finding the photographer? There is no indication of who it is. Still, could I not sell them on ebay or somewhere even if they are still the copyright of the photographer? I

I do believe you are correct about i being Princess Margaret, shows how much I know! I contacted Getty to see if they are copyright holders for these. Antiques Roadshow didn't have a forum and they don't do online appraisals/advice.

If Getty doesn't own them, then I don't have a clue how to go about finding the photographer? There is no indication of who it is. Still, could I not sell them on ebay or somewhere even if they are still the copyright of the photographer? I

In the US, for sure, if you own the print (and you do), you may sell it. Why do you not assume a family member or friend took these? Looking at them, that would be my guess.

I know members of the forums would liked to see a scanned version of these (even if only one or two). Hint, hint. You could restrict sharing as you hold the copy rite to the copy of the photos.

I guess a family member could have taken these but they would have been on the "inside" to get photos this close. The vantage point of these pics isn't a regular far away tourist in the crowd type photo. I will have to see if I can find any more info within the family. I will try to get clearer pics of each to share.

Looks like the Braemar Games in Scotland. 1951? Nice find!

Last edited:
Yes, definitely from the Braemar 1951 gathering - that's all I could find about them. Now I just wish I knew who took them and if they are unpublished and if there is still a copyright (and of course some idea of value would be nice!!)

I would argue that those are private, family snaps. I believe one could get much closer to nearly all public figures in those days. Especially at such an informal event. A clue to ownership would be if you came across the negatives. Then you would know they were owned by the estate.

I hope they are private family pics! Unfortunately all other albums and any envelopes that would have contained negatives were thrown away :-(
In one photo - the one on the second row on left - you can see a large crowd gathered and held back away from the royal family. That's why I think these were taken by some official inside photographer. The style and vantage point of the photos are also very similar to the Getty photos taken at the same event. Here is a Getty copyrighted photo that I found. Looks so similar to the third photo I posted above.

how exciting! i always liked 'treasure' stories and detective stories, so it's always fun to read about nice rare finds :)
i hope you can get to know who took them. maybe the person owning the state was someone who was originally from around braemar and was there as part of the public and took the pictures? in those days, a visiting royal event would have been a once in a lifetime opportunity, so i guess people took pictures of it which they treasured forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom