How Likely Is Royal Divorce?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probability of divorce

Nowadays every second marriage or so ends with divorce. So why should the royal houses be spared? In case of Joachim and Alexandra I never ever counted them to become divorced. How you can be mistaken! Right now we have, lets see, about seven crown-princes and princesses (only Europe), so it´s most likely that we have to regret one or the other divorce one day. With our opinions who will be the one it´s only a personal feeling but there is f.i. a rule: People who are already once divorced will become faster divorced a second time....

Henri M. said:
Maybe you forgot that first we saw a fairytale photosession of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra amidst flowers, in a gentle autumn sun, in a loving face-a-face position, etc.

A few weeks later the palace announced their divorce.

So pictures says nothing. Nothing.

:flowers:

You are right about that,we can't judge a relation through pics,but in Alexandra and Joachim's case,there have been rumors before,and I think those pics was just a way to mislead the paparazis about what will happen,but in Mary and Fred's case,there's no rumors,at least in the actual time,and they seem happy and they will have an other kid,so it makes things different.

A royal divorce is never likely. If a royal couple ever wanted to divorce, I'm sure the royal family and the royal court would do everything in their power to keep the marriage intact. I think when the situation only gets really desperate is a divorce ever an option, such as Charles and Diana.

But if Charles had re-married before Diana had died, or better yet, if Diana didn't end up in that accident and still was alive today, would she still have been princess of Wales now?

Well technically Diana was not The Princess of Wales after her divorce so had Charles married Camilla before Diana died Camilla would be H.R.H The Princess of Wales while Diana would still remain Diana, Princess of Wales.

I was wondering about that to. Or what if the Duke of York remarries, will there be two Duchesses of York then?

Well, Sarah would be a Duchess of York, Andrew's wife would be THE Duchess of York. But in all likelihood, Sarah would drop the Duchess bit.

Yes, there would be two Duchesses of York! Only one would be a HRH. And if Sarah ever remarries, she will be Sarah Johnson (if thats the name of her new husband). Just like Diana would have been Lady Diana Warwick or something.

Diana wouldn't have been Lady Diana Warwick. She'd be Mrs Diana Warwick.

No she would be Lady Diana Warwick. Remember Diana was the daughter of an Earl and recieved the courtsey title of Lady.

BeatrixFan said:

Didn't she retain her "Lady" title as the daughter of an Earl?

My mistake. The only example I can think of is Lady Marjorie in Upstairs, Downstairs who was the daughter of an Earl and remained Lady Bellamy even though her husband was only Mr Bellamy. So following that, yes. She would have been Lady Warwick.

Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen Taylor and Lady Davina Lewis come to mind to :)
-

In case of Maxima or Mathilde (princesses in their own right) divorcing and remarrying, I assume they would be HRH Princess M of The Netherlands/Belgium, mrs X. Or even leave the mrs X away completely. Princess Margriet (though not divorced of course) for example is also only referred to as HRH Princess Margriet of The Netherlands. Mrs. van Vollenhoven is never added (Neither was Mrs. Guillermo added to princess Christina, and even Princess Irene was usually referred to 'Princess of The Netherlands' and not as 'Princess of Bourbon-Parma' or 'The Duchess of Parma'). And these days many women chose not to take their husbands last name to, of course.

Marengo said:
Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen Taylor and Lady Davina Lewis come to mind to :)

I thought about them as well...but since they are the granddaughter and great granddaughter of former monarchs...I wasn't sure if special provisions hadn't been made for them. I think it was Patent of letters of 1917 (I am sure I am using the wrong terminology and year...but as a result of King George V and the change from the House of Saxe Coburg Gotha to Windsor.)

Last edited:
Ah, indeedy. I made a mistake. Now that is rare. Usually I'm right all the time. Perfect in every way.

So there could have been two princesses of Wales now? And there can be two duchesses of York one day?

Yes. Although usually the divorcee drops the title to save embarrassment to the new incumbent.

Technically I imagine there would. But imagine someone (in this case the previous title holders) would go by a new name.

I am very much intrigued by the whole Maxima title. A Princess made in her own right....thats very interesting. So she could be Princess Maxima of the Netherlands, Mrs. ???? if she remarried?

Well, if she's a Princess by marriage, she'd become Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands. If she was made a Princess in her own right - Princess Maxima of the Netherlands, Mrs Harris.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, if she's a Princess by marriage, she'd become Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands. If she was made a Princess in her own right - Princess Maxima of the Netherlands, Mrs Harris.

I agree. I guess its just like an other royal-born Princess (except she wasn't royal born). This might have already been answered (& I could have missed it), but would Maxima keep the HRH title then if a divorce did occur?

I think both Maxima as Mathilde would keep the HRH to, as they were created HRH Princess of Belgium/ The Netherlands by royal decree. The only way (I am aware of) that one can undo this is to issue another royal decree in which you take these titles back. Legally that is possible, but it wouldn't be a wise move, PR-wise at least.

As I said before, to add mrs X to the title Princess of The Netherlands, is not a custom. Even married born Princesses of The Netherlands only use(d) the title recently. It is never HRH Princess Margriet of The Netherlands, mrs. van Vollenhoven, but only HRH Princess Margriet of The Netherlands.

Technically Maxima could become HRH Princess Maxima of The Netherlands, mrs. X, but as this has no precedent it would very much surprise me and I suspect they would just stick to HRH Princess Maxima of The Netherlands.

Princess Caroline of Monaco had a painful divorce from Philip Junot because he was cheating on her and this was a very bitter experience for her.

Stefanie said:
His tears during the wedding mass i.m.o. were not shed because of being moved but of knowing that his easy life is over now and he has to bear responsibility now a.s.o.

Excuse me ? :ohmy:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I find it inappropriate that F/M & F/L are time and again pointed as the ones likely to divorce. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking on many people's part even. From where I see them they are doing very well indeed. And compared to the rest of the couples they are the newest people in this arena, so even if they had a few teething problems no need for people to be so caustic about it.

If you think about it Mette-marit went through some bad episodes in the beginning of their marriage in regards to her adapting to the royal duties (remember the plane incident), some which would have raised the future of her marriage if it had continued so, but last weekend the pictures spoke about something else. She is now comfortable in the role and the love the couple have between them shone through every look, every gesture. So unless there really are proofs to show that things have irrevocably broken down between a couple, maybe we can all stop using them in our theoretical assumptions.

capricorninin said:
I find it inappropriate that F/M & F/L are time and again pointed as the ones likely to divorce. Sometimes it feels like wishful thinking on many people's part even. From where I see them they are doing very well indeed. And compared to the rest of the couples they are the newest people in this arena, so even if they had a few teething problems no need for people to be so caustic about it.

If you think about it Mette-marit went through some bad episodes in the beginning of their marriage in regards to her adapting to the royal duties (remember the plane incident), some which would have raised the future of her marriage if it had continued so, but last weekend the pictures spoke about something else. She is now comfortable in the role and the love the couple have between them shone through every look, every gesture. So unless there really are proofs to show that things have irrevocably broken down between a couple, maybe we can all stop using them in our theoretical assumptions.

Sounds very fair and reasonable to me. I completely agree

HRH is no title

Lady Jennifer said:
I agree. I guess its just like an other royal-born Princess (except she wasn't royal born). This might have already been answered (& I could have missed it), but would Maxima keep the HRH title then if a divorce did occur?

'Her Royal Highness' is no title but a way of address.

Like 'Your Excellency' to an ambassador.
Like 'Monseigneur' to a Roman-Catholic bishop.
Like 'Your Honour' to a Judge.

Last edited:
To answer the top question: not very likely. Apart from the Windsors, the sort of "A-class" royals have very rarely divorced anywhere. People have for example whispered for a long time that GD Henri and GD Maria-Teresa are calling it quits, but mostly likely both their status and their Catholic faith will stop it from ever happening.

I think it was Queen Margarethe who said that royals should try and stay married no matter what happened; sort of sad to think that there probably are couples who are tied to a bad marriage with no escape...

lisamaria said:
it is sad that there probably are couples who are tied to a bad marriage with no escape...

There are more divorces and bad marriages than you might think.

Since the 1950's Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard were de-facto separated, living in their own wing of Soestdijk Palace. Yet, statistically, their (arranged) marriage belongs to the longest royal marriages ever (68 years married).

King Albert of the Belgians and Queen Paola openly admitted they have had serious problems in their relatiosnship. For a while they have lived apart as well, Paola at the Château de Bélvedère and Albert at the Château de Laeken. It was only thanks to the very devout and religious King Baudouin that the couple did not divorce.

Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte had a problematic marriage as well. The bride wept bitter tears at the wedding. But with with ups and downs the arranged marriage turned into a loving one.

This is not so strange anyway. It is only since Queen Victoria's strange ideal that the royal family should 'show the way' which caused royal families turning into substitutes for the Holy Family.

imo a divorce will not happen when the crown prince becomes King.
Felipe & Letizia have gone through so much and seem to be together supporting each other more than any other CP couples. As for catholics & spanish royal family it is very unlikely that they will ever head towards a divorce, they will be able to solve their problems and not let things get to them just like Queen Sofia & Elena. Not only that, but in the future, Felipe when King would need a Queen along his side, & i dont think a second wife would be the right thing to do

Why is Divorce not tolerated in the liechtenstein royal family? I mean they seem like happy family, but with recent events about Princess Sophie's cousin Marie splashed all over the new york gossip columns. It made me wonder how likely is any member of the Royal family to divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom