How Likely Is Royal Divorce?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinika

Nobility
City
Denver
Country
United States
I know Charles and Diana divorced, but that was such a scandalous event. I wonder how possible it is that another crown princely couple would divorce. Not to speculate on the happiness of any of the royal couples, because with the proliferation of pregnancies it's obvious that they're all just fine. But if, let's say, Frederik and Mary were to have so many problems that they just couldn't live together anymore. What would happen? Would they really divorce? Where would Mary go? And what if Frederik remarried? That's something really unprecedented, since Diana was already deceased when Charles remarried, and the same was true of Belgium's Queen Astrid and King Leopold.

Tinika said:
I know Charles and Diana divorced, but that was such a scandalous event. I wonder how possible it is that another crown princely couple would divorce. Not to speculate on the happiness of any of the royal couples, because with the proliferation of pregnancies it's obvious that they're all just fine. But if, let's say, Frederik and Mary were to have so many problems that they just couldn't live together anymore. What would happen? Would they really divorce? Where would Mary go? And what if Frederik remarried? That's something really unprecedented, since Diana was already deceased when Charles remarried, and the same was true of Belgium's Queen Astrid and King Leopold.

If Mary decided to divorce, Frederik have to pay for suitable accomodation for her. Also she is most likely to stay in Denmark since she can not bring the children with her out of the country.

Hope it never happens.

Possible divorces

The (in moy opinion) likely:
1. Frederik and Mary (interesting that you mentioned them of all people)
2. Felipe and Letizia

Because: Frederik had (like Joachim) a very hard childhood and is in my opinion a complicated personality. Mary in my opinion will find that out little by little. His tears during the wedding mass i.m.o. were not shed because of being moved but of knowing that his easy life is over now and he has to bear responsibility now a.s.o.
With Leti and Felipe: They both have to show that the marriage works specially Felipe who confronted is parents with this fait accompli. He i.m.o. isn´t mature enough (and his sign of the zodiac is aquarius, and an aquarius needs his freedom...) although he´s in his late 30ies to keep a marriage work. Leti wears in my opinion the trousers in this marriage. But I knew this from all the beginning that he´ll never be succesfull finding a proper wife. He always had this tendency to women who simply don´t fit....
Well, in Denmark it depends on how long the marriage lasts, if not too long Mary might go back to Australia. And Leti, no problem living her own life again somewhere in Spain, having the children around in her own villa.

Stefanie said:
2. Felipe and Letizia

Because: Frederik had (like Joachim) a very hard childhood and is in my opinion a complicated personality. Mary in my opinion will find that out little by little. His tears during the wedding mass i.m.o. were not shed because of being moved but of knowing that his easy life is over now and he has to bear responsibility now a.s.o.
With Leti and Felipe: They both have to show that the marriage works specially Felipe who confronted is parents with this fait accompli. He i.m.o. isn´t mature enough (and his sign of the zodiac is aquarius, and an aquarius needs his freedom...) although he´s in his late 30ies to keep a marriage work. Leti wears in my opinion the trousers in this marriage. But I knew this from all the beginning that he´ll never be succesfull finding a proper wife. He always had this tendency to women who simply don´t fit....
Well, in Denmark it depends on how long the marriage lasts, if not too long Mary might go back to Australia. And Leti, no problem living her own life again somewhere in Spain, having the children around in her own villa.

Well, I do not see either of these couples divorcing, and while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I do not think anyone can or should make assumptions or predictions about people that they have most likely never met.

Furthermore, there is no reason to believe that these couples are having any problems at all, certainly not with their impending second children. I have seen no evidence at all that these two couples are anything more than happily in love, and I think that we should let them be.

Above and beyond all that, speculation of this sort is not at all productive or pleasant conversation material.

I would rather see conversations about their happiness than about unfounded accusations of their personalities that can not be substantiated.

Stefanie said:
2. Felipe and Letizia

I agree with you. Royal beings are exposed to the public and everybody who follows them can perceive what you have stated.
On the other hand, I think if Fred & Mary divorced it would be an upheaval but Danes would accept them.
If Felipe & Leti divorced, it would be a big problem because Spain is a catholic country and there are lots of people who wouldn't accept that, the fact that Leti was divorced is still an issue for many people.

The Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark are in my head as the most likely divorce.
The Duke and Duchess of Brabant seems the most unlikely divorce.

But of course I hope all couples will be happy together.

MargreteI said:
If Mary decided to divorce, Frederik have to pay for suitable accomodation for her. Also she is most likely to stay in Denmark since she can not bring the children with her out of the country.

Hope it never happens.

If a divorce happens,although I don't think so,(they look so happy together as they found each other,inlike Charles' and Diana's marriage which was an arranged one),Mary will do as Alexandra,she will stay in Denmark,and will keep children,and she still will have duties to perform.

Salomé said:
If a divorce happens,although I don't think so,(they look so happy together as they found each other

Maybe you forgot that first we saw a fairytale photosession of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra amidst flowers, in a gentle autumn sun, in a loving face-a-face position, etc.

A few weeks later the palace announced their divorce.

So pictures says nothing. Nothing.

:flowers:

Not exactly. Remeber Diana and Charles - photos tell everything!

But you must be a good actor to dosn't show what really happen in your life. (Alexandra&Joachim)

Last edited:
I think that Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia are now very happy but even if in the future they were not, I do not think they would ever get divorced.

It just seems like it is something that is not done in the Spanish Royal Family, no matter how hard you have it.

It is a fact that King Juan Carlos cheated on Queen Sofia of different times but together they've stayed. To me it always looks like they have a cordial relationship but not a love one.

It's been mentioned in Spanish circles that Infanta Elena and her husband, Jaime de Marichalar have had rough periods in their marriage as well.

The Spanish Royal Family is extremely discreet, to the point where IMO they would not get divorced in order to avoid many comments, problems, gossip, etc.

Stefanie said:
Mary in my opinion will find that out little by little. His tears during the wedding mass i.m.o. were not shed because of being moved but of knowing that his easy life is over now and he has to bear responsibility now a.s.o.

No, he was actually standing there thinking about his great fortune in life, about finally starting his own family, thinking about the ways he would do things differently from what he had been used to.

See, you're not the only one able to spin a tale:lol: None of us know, we just interpret pictures, gestures, etc. differently for a variety of reasons.

I don't see Felipe and Letizia as more likely candidates for a divorce either. As is the case with Frederik, I could imagine that Felipe would be keen to do things differently (from his father for example). Felipe and Letizia seem extremely well matched. If a CPss that seemingly is command of her own life (good in my book) was a sign of trouble to come in the marriage, I see other more likely candidates :rolleyes:

UserDane said:

No, he was actually standing there thinking about his great fortune in life, about finally starting his own family, thinking about the ways he would do things differently from what he had been used to.

See, you're not the only one able to spin a tale:lol: None of us know, we just interpret pictures, gestures, etc. differently for a variety of reasons.

I don't see Felipe and Letizia as more likely candidates for a divorce either. As is the case with Frederik, I could imagine that Felipe would be keen to do things differently (from his father for example). Felipe and Letizia seem extremely well matched. If a CPss that seemingly is command of her own life (good in my book) was a sign of trouble to come in the marriage, I see other more likely candidates :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing Userdane about Fred tearing up at his amazement of seeing Mary and hearing that emotional music.It is funny how we interpret things so different.. I like my interpretation better :flowers:
I also wondered how long it would take for someone here to bring Fred and Mary into this thread- not long - almost expected it to happen:ROFLMAO: Not this quick though:rolleyes: I wish all the Crown Princes and Princesses a long happy life. Only they know what makes a successful marriage......

Stefanie said:
2. Felipe and Letizia

your points are quite reasonable actually. what you say is really interesting... :)

these two couples you mentioned are for me the ones that are most likely to divorce as well. both mary and letizia compared to mathilde, maxima and mette marit, seem quite vulnerable to me and perhaps quite young and not enough mature compared to the rest of the princesses.

i guess mary may stay in the country, to stay with her children, just as alexandra did. i really doubt she will live in australia. same for letizia, although i have the impression she may want to retire to asturias with her family, which is no problem as it's still the kingdom of spain, although not the capital, which may cause problems when it comes to performing royal duties.

in the case of mary, it's quite clear that if the queen approves it, she will receive a title and a new HH status, like alexandra probably. what i don't know is what may happen to letizia, as there were no precedents of royal divorces in the spanish family. moreover, what if frederik and mary divorce when frederik is already king of denmark? that may be a problem and i doubt they would divorce in that situation, but if it happens... perhaps frederik may give mary another title such as 'countess of...'?

We doesn't have/ had many divorces but... About that what Tinika had wrote - scandalous events.

Do you think that if the any royals are divorcing they have a class?

About our present CPcelies and Princelies couples - does anyone have or know smth about their prenuptial agreements?

Last edited:
To divorce:
Fredrick and Mary (95%)
Felipe and Letizia (75%)

Not to divorce:
Philippe and Mathilde and William Alexander and Maxima. These, two me, are true love matches, and I envy Mathilde and Maxima (in a good way) of their marriages. I would want a marriage like theirs, without the Royal Pomp.

What do u think about Rania and Abdalah of Jordan?there have been rumors several times.

mostly King and Queen never got divorces because still in love all the times for long times and raise their children,grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

im sure i knew about Crown Prince and Crown Princess still in love all the times and never got divorces same parents DID!

i knew about Prince Charles and late Diana,Princess of Wales's separation in 1992 and divorces in 1996 but Diana already stripped HRH and its really nasty scandalous in the taboilds in London,England they talking about affair,rotweiller,etc.But HM Queen order Prince Charles and Princess Diana to divorces but Diana hates to divorces!

I hope that none of the Crown Princely couples wouldn't never divorce!

They're married becouse they want it and had done it with the persons which they love and know.

Btw. why you think that Mary&Fred or Letizia&Felipe will maybe get divorce someday?? What if it will be someone else?!

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I think it is not nice to speculate about which couple is most likely to divorce.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that many members seem to think that Mary&Fred and Letizia&Felipe will maybe get divorced one day. :ermm:
I have to say that I don't hope so, because they are very lovely couples..
And i think: A photo says alot, and not like someone said before: nothing (just my opinion).

It just has been discovered that even Harald and Sonja of Norway were about to divorce in the 80s. Well, in fact they didn't think about a divorce (don't know the exact story), but they were living seperated lifes back then. Luckily they found their way back to each other...
So, it shows that the Royal Houses (in this case the NRH) try to prevent a divorce if it is possible in every way.

I actually don't think the purpose of this thread was to guess who is most likely to divorce (there is another thread on that), rather to share opinions on how likely it is that a 'core' royal will divorce in the future. IMO that is unlikely. These royal couples have much more factors to consider then other couples, so they will try harder to either save the marriage or to come to a livable/workable understanding (stay married but secretly live seperate lives).

If such a divorce will happen, I think the courts have learned from the Charles-Diana divorce that they should be handle it carefully & not seem spitefull to the lady who married in to their family (like the Danish court has solved the Joachim-Alexandra divorce). If a crownprincess will divorce she will probably keep the HRH Princess of X (or will get another title). As Maxima and Mathilde were both created princesses in their own right, they will always stay HRH Princess of The Netherlands/Belgium, unless the Queen/King will issue a royal warrant to take it back (which is MOST unlikely). Don't know if Mette-Marit, Mary and Letizia received the titles in their own right though.

For other royal divorces it depends on the country. Sophie would most probably stay The Countess of Wessex, but I would suspect Mabel (or Laurentien) ro revert to their maiden name.

What about Paola and Albert? Doesn't they had bad time too? I mean affairs...

magnik said:
What about Paola and Albert? Doesn't they had bad time too? I mean affairs...

They had, but in the late 70-ties the couple re-found each other. The common story is that their daughter Astrid was a mediator and religion (the charismatic movement) played a significant role to.

Initially it was King Baudouin who refused to allow the couple to divorce in the first place.

In this case it seemed to have worked as the couple seems rather fond of each other (if the small expresions of mutual affection in public seem numerous and real).

I really dont think Mary and Frederik will ever get divorced, and the same goes for Felipe and Letizia (and no, its not wishfull thinking) :flowers:

Also, Mary would most likely be granted a title in her own right, just like the countess of Frederiksborg.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
I really dont think Mary and Frederik will ever get divorced, and the same goes for Felipe and Letizia.

Also, Mary would most likely be granted a title in her own right, just like the countess of Frederiksborg.
But if she ever divorce she maybe be granted a higher title as a mother of the future king - a princess. Don't you think?

Last edited:
magnik said:
But if she ever divorce she maybe be granted a higher title - princess as a mother of the future king. Don't you think?

Again, I dont believe this is going to happen but "the" title could be of a higher ranking than that of a countess, as Mary is the mother of a future monarch.

Last edited:
magnik said:
But if she ever divorce she maybe be granted a higher title as a mother of the future king - a princess. Don't you think?
If a divorce were to happen the current monarch might not grant a higher title but maybe Frederik would or even her own son would. I think she would stay a princess anyways- isn't Alexandra still a Princess? If a divorce did happen Mary might retain the HRH status- as the mother of the future King.

Tinika said:
I really don't think these couples would divorce- if anything they will stay together in public, but live lives totally apart in private. Those castles are big enough for 2 people to live together yet away from each other :lol:.

Last edited:
Nuptial agreements

Nuptial agreements are not public in most European countries and the contract is stored in a safe of a Notary Office.

From what I learned in articles and reconstructions, officials and lawyers from the Royal House and the Zorreguieta family have met each other in the Netherlands and in Argentina to negotiate the nuptial agreements.

Most important points were the custody over the children. Princess Máxima has two nationalities: Argentinean and Dutch. Usually the justice always gives the mother the custody over the children but you will understand that in the case of a future Heiress and Queen (Princess Catharina-Amalia) the custody and the freedom to take her out of the country was a major point of negotiations.

The Princess has her own style, rank, her own staff, her own personal standard, coat of arms and her own income (worth around 1 million US Dollars a year) and it is for sure all her claims after an eventual divorce are already covered. Also her style after a divorce will have been negotiated on beforehand. As only in-law Máxima is a Princess of the Netherlands in her own right, by Royal Decree and not by marriage (unlike Mabel, Laurentien, Marilène, etc.). That looks like she will remain a Princess of the Netherlands after a divorce indeed.

Last edited:
HH Princess Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg

Madame Royale said:
Alexandra is a Princess as long as she remains unmarried.

Alexandra's style Royal Highness rested on her marital status, and ceased upon her divorce. After the divorce Alexandra was given a lower status, style Highness.

Queen Margrethe bestowed upon her former daughter-in-law the additional personal and non-hereditary title Grevinde af Frederiksborg. The title is personal (unlike the title of princess) and thus will not be revoked or become dormant if Princess Alexandra chooses to remarry. The title Grevinde af Frederiksborg is given the rank of Class 1, which will entitle Alexandra to the style of "Excellency" upon remarriage.

If Princess Alexandra marries a mr. Peter Nilsson, she will be:

Alexandra Nilsson, Countess of Frederiksborg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom