The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I actually don't think the purpose of this thread was to guess who is most likely to divorce (there is another thread on that), rather to share opinions on how likely it is that a 'core' royal will divorce in the future. IMO that is unlikely. These royal couples have much more factors to consider then other couples, so they will try harder to either save the marriage or to come to a livable/workable understanding (stay married but secretly live seperate lives).

If such a divorce will happen, I think the courts have learned from the Charles-Diana divorce that they should be handle it carefully & not seem spitefull to the lady who married in to their family (like the Danish court has solved the Joachim-Alexandra divorce). If a crownprincess will divorce she will probably keep the HRH Princess of X (or will get another title). As Maxima and Mathilde were both created princesses in their own right, they will always stay HRH Princess of The Netherlands/Belgium, unless the Queen/King will issue a royal warrant to take it back (which is MOST unlikely). Don't know if Mette-Marit, Mary and Letizia received the titles in their own right though.

For other royal divorces it depends on the country. Sophie would most probably stay The Countess of Wessex, but I would suspect Mabel (or Laurentien) ro revert to their maiden name.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

What about Paola and Albert? Doesn't they had bad time too? I mean affairs...

Old 10-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
What about Paola and Albert? Doesn't they had bad time too? I mean affairs...
They had, but in the late 70-ties the couple re-found each other. The common story is that their daughter Astrid was a mediator and religion (the charismatic movement) played a significant role to.

Initially it was King Baudouin who refused to allow the couple to divorce in the first place.

In this case it seemed to have worked as the couple seems rather fond of each other (if the small expresions of mutual affection in public seem numerous and real).
Old 10-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I really dont think Mary and Frederik will ever get divorced, and the same goes for Felipe and Letizia (and no, its not wishfull thinking)

Also, Mary would most likely be granted a title in her own right, just like the countess of Frederiksborg.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I really dont think Mary and Frederik will ever get divorced, and the same goes for Felipe and Letizia.

Also, Mary would most likely be granted a title in her own right, just like the countess of Frederiksborg.
But if she ever divorce she maybe be granted a higher title as a mother of the future king - a princess. Don't you think?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But if she ever divorce she maybe be granted a higher title - princess as a mother of the future king. Don't you think?
Again, I dont believe this is going to happen but "the" title could be of a higher ranking than that of a countess, as Mary is the mother of a future monarch.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
But if she ever divorce she maybe be granted a higher title as a mother of the future king - a princess. Don't you think?
If a divorce were to happen the current monarch might not grant a higher title but maybe Frederik would or even her own son would. I think she would stay a princess anyways- isn't Alexandra still a Princess? If a divorce did happen Mary might retain the HRH status- as the mother of the future King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinika
I know Charles and Diana divorced, but that was such a scandalous event. I wonder how possible it is that another crown princely couple would divorce. Not to speculate on the happiness of any of the royal couples, because with the proliferation of pregnancies it's obvious that they're all just fine. But if, let's say, Frederik and Mary were to have so many problems that they just couldn't live together anymore. What would happen? Would they really divorce? Where would Mary go? And what if Frederik remarried? That's something really unprecedented, since Diana was already deceased when Charles remarried, and the same was true of Belgium's Queen Astrid and King Leopold.
I really don't think these couples would divorce- if anything they will stay together in public, but live lives totally apart in private. Those castles are big enough for 2 people to live together yet away from each other .

Old 10-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

Nuptial agreements

Nuptial agreements are not public in most European countries and the contract is stored in a safe of a Notary Office.

From what I learned in articles and reconstructions, officials and lawyers from the Royal House and the Zorreguieta family have met each other in the Netherlands and in Argentina to negotiate the nuptial agreements.

Most important points were the custody over the children. Princess Máxima has two nationalities: Argentinean and Dutch. Usually the justice always gives the mother the custody over the children but you will understand that in the case of a future Heiress and Queen (Princess Catharina-Amalia) the custody and the freedom to take her out of the country was a major point of negotiations.

The Princess has her own style, rank, her own staff, her own personal standard, coat of arms and her own income (worth around 1 million US Dollars a year) and it is for sure all her claims after an eventual divorce are already covered. Also her style after a divorce will have been negotiated on beforehand. As only in-law Máxima is a Princess of the Netherlands in her own right, by Royal Decree and not by marriage (unlike Mabel, Laurentien, Marilène, etc.). That looks like she will remain a Princess of the Netherlands after a divorce indeed.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
isn't Alexandra still a Princess?.
Alexandra is a Princess as long as she remains unmarried.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

HH Princess Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Alexandra is a Princess as long as she remains unmarried.
Alexandra's style Royal Highness rested on her marital status, and ceased upon her divorce. After the divorce Alexandra was given a lower status, style Highness.

Queen Margrethe bestowed upon her former daughter-in-law the additional personal and non-hereditary title Grevinde af Frederiksborg. The title is personal (unlike the title of princess) and thus will not be revoked or become dormant if Princess Alexandra chooses to remarry. The title Grevinde af Frederiksborg is given the rank of Class 1, which will entitle Alexandra to the style of "Excellency" upon remarriage.

If Princess Alexandra marries a mr. Peter Nilsson, she will be:

Alexandra Nilsson, Countess of Frederiksborg
Old 10-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Probability of divorce

Nowadays every second marriage or so ends with divorce. So why should the royal houses be spared? In case of Joachim and Alexandra I never ever counted them to become divorced. How you can be mistaken! Right now we have, lets see, about seven crown-princes and princesses (only Europe), so it´s most likely that we have to regret one or the other divorce one day. With our opinions who will be the one it´s only a personal feeling but there is f.i. a rule: People who are already once divorced will become faster divorced a second time....
Old 10-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Maybe you forgot that first we saw a fairytale photosession of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra amidst flowers, in a gentle autumn sun, in a loving face-a-face position, etc.

A few weeks later the palace announced their divorce.

So pictures says nothing. Nothing.

You are right about that,we can't judge a relation through pics,but in Alexandra and Joachim's case,there have been rumors before,and I think those pics was just a way to mislead the paparazis about what will happen,but in Mary and Fred's case,there's no rumors,at least in the actual time,and they seem happy and they will have an other kid,so it makes things different.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

A royal divorce is never likely. If a royal couple ever wanted to divorce, I'm sure the royal family and the royal court would do everything in their power to keep the marriage intact. I think when the situation only gets really desperate is a divorce ever an option, such as Charles and Diana.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

But if Charles had re-married before Diana had died, or better yet, if Diana didn't end up in that accident and still was alive today, would she still have been princess of Wales now?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well technically Diana was not The Princess of Wales after her divorce so had Charles married Camilla before Diana died Camilla would be H.R.H The Princess of Wales while Diana would still remain Diana, Princess of Wales.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

I was wondering about that to. Or what if the Duke of York remarries, will there be two Duchesses of York then?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Well, Sarah would be a Duchess of York, Andrew's wife would be THE Duchess of York. But in all likelihood, Sarah would drop the Duchess bit.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Yes, there would be two Duchesses of York! Only one would be a HRH. And if Sarah ever remarries, she will be Sarah Johnson (if thats the name of her new husband). Just like Diana would have been Lady Diana Warwick or something.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Diana wouldn't have been Lady Diana Warwick. She'd be Mrs Diana Warwick.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Diana wouldn't have been Lady Diana Warwick. She'd be Mrs Diana Warwick.
No she would be Lady Diana Warwick. Remember Diana was the daughter of an Earl and recieved the courtsey title of Lady.