The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Courtier

The fairest way to go would be to do what other countries (e.g. Spain - I know a rare example of them getting something right) and saying if a person marries (civilly or otherwise in this case) a person then they take on their title in the form (male of female ) that suits them

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

An adopted son in one of Italy’s oldest and wealthiest clans, Prince Jonathan Doria Pamphilj can expound on the many glories and scandals in his family’s history. But now, in the view of some Roman aristocrats, including his sister, Princess Gesine, he has exposed the family to a distinctively 21st-century crisis—by having two children with his male civil partner. Amid the art treasures of the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj, James Reginato hears about family strife and love, as well as the latest threat to their shared inheritance.

How Prince Jonathan Doria Pamphilj Disrupted Roman Aristocracy by Having Children with His Male Partner | Vanity Fair

Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM

No results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count View Post
When you ask to Omanians why the Sultan has not sons, the answer you receive is: "because he dedicated his whole life to the benefit of the Country and Omanians". They really love Sultan Qaboos, and if you go there you see how much he did and does for the country.
He married a cousin and tryied to have sons, unfortunately with no results, she lives now in the UK, as far as I know.
6-month marriages usually do not produce results.

It is customary in the Middle East to marry even first cousins, just in case anyone is wondering. And yes, there is a higher incidence of birth defects, but try to convince people here that it maybe marrying your cousin that's at fault and they will stare at you in disbelief or laugh outright at the notion...
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

First cousin marriages were not uncommon in the Western world until a century ago or so either. Not only among royalty and nobility but also among the bourgeoisie.
Since no children came from the marriage, we will never know in what offspring it may have resulted. In general a marriage to a cousin once is not a problem, but several generations of inbreeding is.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
First cousin marriages were not uncommon in the Western world until a century ago or so either. Not only among royalty and nobility but also among the bourgeoisie.
Since no children came from the marriage, we will never know in what offspring it may have resulted. In general a marriage to a cousin once is not a problem, but several generations of inbreeding is.
Actually, legislation forbidding marriages as close as first cousins has been on the books in many countries since the 1850s, which did not entirely negate the custom in many Western countries.

Having lived in Kuwait and Oman now for some time now, there are many instances here where the marriage of first cousin to first cousin has and does result in hydrocephalus and other similarly distressing diseases in the offspring. Most Gulf countries have a higher rate of birth defects than others, not necessarily because of generations of inbreeding.

As for the ruler of Oman, a six month marriage is unlikely to have resulted in offspring and the divorce was supposedly welcomed by both parties. This, and the fact that the Sultan never remarried, even though under Islam that would have been no problem (just as he is entitled to have up to four wives simultaneously), and if there had been the will, there would have been offspring.

While this is circumstantial and speculative at best (as is the entire thread), there is sufficient anecdotal press around the world to allow people to conclude that he may in fact be gay.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Gentry

I'm glad I finally got around to reading through this thread.

As an openly gay male I would love to see some openly gay British Royalty but deep down I also realise that the chances of that ever happening are the same as me suddenly waking up in the morrow a strapping six footer.

Also I would think it would a nightmare for any openly gay British Royal simply due to how the British press conduct themselves...ie very badly. It seems that should any male royal remain single beyond the age of 30 the rumours start "is he or isn't he gay".

I can remember reading in some newspaper/gossip mag many years ago, that very same thing being said about Prince Michael of Kent with "well considering how his father was would it be surprising if he was the same" tagged onto it all because his father Prince George was promiscuous with both sexes. His son Freddie was also labelled as being gay because he worked with and posed for a gay mag, which we now know to be wrong, if anything Lord Frederick Windsor is bisexual.

So personally while I'd adore seeing more openly gay royalty, I can totally understand why we don't due to how the press and the general public may react.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Gentry

I sent a letter to Queen Elizabeth II expressing my respect for her and so on but I also asked her why nobody in the royal family supports any LGBT charities or organisations when they support so many other charities.

I got a reply today from the senior correspondence officer telling me that the Queen supports ''a broad range of charities'' and that I can find out more on the website (which contains nothing about LGBT matters). This is very frustrating because they recognised in their reply that I was asking about LGBT charities but then didn't answer the question...

Should I write back and ask for a real answer?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff462 View Post
I sent a letter to Queen Elizabeth II expressing my respect for her and so on but I also asked her why nobody in the royal family supports any LGBT charities or organisations when they support so many other charities.

I got a reply today from the senior correspondence officer telling me that the Queen supports ''a broad range of charities'' and that I can find out more on the website (which contains nothing about LGBT matters). This is very frustrating because they recognised in their reply that I was asking about LGBT charities but then didn't answer the question...

Should I write back and ask for a real answer?

No reply is a polite response indicating monarchy and government are not joined by the hips. No need to insist you'll get nowhere.