The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Great information here, special thanks to Keystone for the information about the Spanish Duchess.

Many gay people go ahead and get married and even have children, it's very hard to know who is gay unless they tell us (and it's none of our business, really). But it would be very cool if royals could live their lives openly and in freedom, too.
It might even help other people accept themselves more if they saw someone living an open life, but I also understand why some people do not chose to do so.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:31 AM
Aristocracy

The main obstacle, I believe, is the officialdom. If a Sovereign isn't the head of a particular Church, they are linked to it. That's not to say that all religion is bigotted, or that every member the public would be accepting, but I can truly imagine that if a Royal came out, the public would generally be accepting, while the relevent Church would not allow them to keep their place in the line of succession.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Statistically, there is a high probability that one of the princes or princesses set to inherit a throne is in fact, gay. There is a also a high probability that one of the current crowned heads is gay, but could never be open about it. And there is even a higher probability that--just an example--a couple like Kate and William could have a gay son or daughter.

Now, whether they would ever be able to live their lives openly is up for some serious debate.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Commoner

Through the past millenia they have been many gay royals, but none of them open, of course. Our society isn't ready to accept a gay head of state whether they be elected or royal.

For example, fifty years ago if someone had suggested the idea of a black president they would have been considered lunatics but now it was welcome with open arms. People couldn't wait to have a black president.

So, maybe, fifty years from now people will love the idea of an openly gay royal but now it would be too controversial.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Gentry

Has anyone met or know anything about Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia ? X
Old 05-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Prince Dimitri (the elder) has been discussed in this thread previously.
He has a Wiki page: Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia (b1958)
Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Most famous gay/bisexual monarchs I can think of are Edward II and James I; both of whom did their duty by getting married and producing children. Back then that was one of their royal duties; today when most royals are just ceremonial figures it seems marrying and having children is more important.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Old 05-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

If an heir to the throne is gay, then he should try to find a female whose a lesbian and whose acceptable for him to marry. In reality,if this were known, no marriage would take place. This has to be a secret.

The couple has an understanding that they will live as husband and wife and produce at least 3 children or how many they want. They will not cheat on each other. Once this is done, then if they want to get a divorce, they can.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Could such cases be covered in our age(not only heirs)?
It seems difficult,but I admit you've found a good solution to keep the appeareances
Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness

This arrangement would be easier to follow if it didn't involve an heir to the throne. Keeping up appearances is very important in royal circles.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've often wondered what would the titles be for the spouse of a gay or bi royal. So for example hypothetically if Prince Harry was bisexual and married a man, and he was given a title like Duke of Clarence would his partner be known as Lord Clarence or Prince of Clarence? This is a question I don't know if it will ever be answered but it does have me thinking about possible same sex marriages or unions in royal families.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think producing an heir is going to be that vital especially under the circumstances of a gay monarch who oughtn't be expected to produce an heir anyway. Is it not the whole point of having a royal family and a list full of heirs who can take the throne when all the other heirs above them have died? It's the same situation with a gay monarch - no children, throne goes to next in line. King Baudouin was no less a great king because he and his Queen had no children.

As for contracting a marriage of convenience in this day and age, I would object to that. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist in my mind, but I if it did happen, I think it would be more unacceptbale to people than having a gay monarch in the first place.
It seems odd that a lesbian willing to marry a gay king (If you could find a lesbian to do it) could be deemed acceptable whilst the gay king himself wasn't!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

I would think any heir to the throne regardless of whether they were straight or gay would want to have heirs. They would want someone to carry on their name or blood line. At least most of them IMO.

Yes, it would be odd that a lesbian would marry a gay king, but if she wanted to have children depending on the society she's in, this would be an acceptable way to have children, although if this came out, she would be criticized.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I've often wondered what would the titles be for the spouse of a gay or bi royal. So for example hypothetically if Prince Harry was bisexual and married a man, and he was given a title like Duke of Clarence would his partner be known as Lord Clarence or Prince of Clarence? This is a question I don't know if it will ever be answered but it does have me thinking about possible same sex marriages or unions in royal families.
I think that Lord Clarence would be a great compromise on the title. After all he wouldn't be the Prince of Clarence because that would be "Harry's" title no?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I wonder if the partner would get any title since in the UK they only have civil unions as of now and not actual same sex marriage. This is all very interesting indeed.

I would love to see an openly gay royal someday. Out of all the royal families in the world, there has to at least be a few royals that are gays if statistically 1 out of 10 people (10% or the population) is gay.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I think that Lord Clarence would be a great compromise on the title. After all he wouldn't be the Prince of Clarence because that would be "Harry's" title no?
Well Harry would be the Duke of Clarence, but POC does seem a bit higher than DOC. Or I wonder if the spouse could be known as Prince John of Clarence like the way Harry is styled Prince Henry of Wales because of his father.

Quote:
I would love to see an openly gay royal someday. Out of all the royal families in the world, there has to at least be a few royals that are gays if statistically 1 out of 10 people (10% or the population) is gay.
I believe sometime in the future it wil happen.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Commoner

I don't know what you all mean. There's already a gay Queen of England, and they are very much loved...oh wait sorry, wrong forum I was talking about Sir Elton.

In all seriousness I do find it incredibly sad that in this day and age, a certain large section of the British public would not be able to accept an openly gay or lesbian monarch. As has been stated, 10% of the population are said to be homosexual, so its a shame that that rough proportion have to hide their lives for 'duty'.

As proud as I am of being British, I do wish we could be more like our European neighbours in regards to these things. I believe that in say Sweden, people wouldn't really care about what their Royals got up to.

Speaking as a gay woman myself, I would only want a Royal to reveal their sexuality if the British public would most likely accept them.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Serene Highness

If the royal was unlikely to become heir to the throne, then if he/she came out, people would for the most part accept them. Depending though on the country. A conservative/religious country would never accept a gay heir to the throne and would be hostile to any royal who came out.

A liberal or progressive country would accept someone who isn't heir to the throne if they came out. They probably would accept a gay heir to the throne although I think they would have questions. It wouldn't be 100% approval.

A royal who came from conservative religious parents probably wouldn't come out or their parents would either advise them not to do so or try to change them or would try to find someone of the opposite sex and hope that perhaps they would fall in love with them and this would be the solution. This is often what conservative parents try to do or what others try to do.

Liberal parents would be accepting but would have concerns about how the country would accept their child.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Aristocracy

This may not be earth shattering, however the Maori (indigenous people of New Zealand)
King's eldest son Whatumoana is openly gay, even to the point of bringing with him in his official entourage his boyfriend and their gay friends when representing his father at major events.

This will cause an interesting situation when his father passes. Although the position is elected in secret council by the chiefs of the all of the tribes and could go to any of the current ruling families...the past 6 have been direct descendants of the first Maori King.

The current Maori King has two other children...Korotangi who was recently arrested for dangerous driving after smashing his car into a light pole...(thank goodness no one died - and he's only 16) and his only daughter Ngawai Hono I Te Po.

We probably won't have the worlds first openly gay King...however we will probably have the first openly gay senior royal. As the son of the current King and probably the brother or close relative of the future Monarch... Whatumoana will always be senior.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Nobility

I do believe the acceptance of a gay/lesbian royal is lurking around the corner. Now, I did not state acceptance an heir/ess (presumptive) to a throne. Many people still have to mature to that level. A gay crown prince/ss would not have to provide the crown with children. As stated in an earlier post for this discussion thread, there is always the 'next in line to the throne.'
Queen Victoria's (late) youngest son was thought to be gay and by some, 'Jack the Ripper.' My research has only come to the point that neither assumption has ever been proved (officially). Also it has been mentioned in (unofficial) information on the late Duke of Windsor that was believed to be gay also. Again, the assumption has never proven. Technically, I believe that a person's personal life is their own business. Even if a royal admitted his/her homosexuality or the above was proven to be factual, it would not have any effect on me in any way whatsoever. Truthfully, I am very surprised that a thread in this topic still 'exists' in this forum.