The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Royal Highness

I'm realy not sure whether the civil partner of a royal prince or princess would be legally entitled to a title because I know of no precendence or custom for this. As far as I know, most civil parters retain their own surnames unless they want to change it but this must be done by deed-pole. It is the custom for a woman to take on her husband's title/surname on marriage (and on rare occassions I have known women to retain their original surname and even the husband to change his surname to his wife's - by deed-pole I assume....when a woman marrued a man I assume her surname changes automatically?). The whole idea of a legally binding civil partnership is such a new one that customs associated with it have not developed sufficiently enough for it to be assumed that the civil partner of a royal is entitled to a title or become a prince. It's very confusing because of Prince William marries Kate, she will become Princess William of Wales. If he married "John Smith", I really cannot imagine the chap would become Prince John of Wales. Much less if William is Prince of Wales at the time of his marriage would "John" be Prince of Wales too! I suspect "John" would be offered an Earldom in much the same way as Princess Margaret's husband was given the Snowdon title. As for William being King at the time of his civil partnership, I wonder if "John" could be known as the prince consort?! Having thought about it more, I just think John Smith would remain simply as Mr John Smith as there is no custom in place to alter the title he already has.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why HRH Prince William in this thread ??

Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I guess Prince William is in this thread just used in a hypothetical example...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Gentry

Wasn't it rumored that ex King Umberto II of Italy was bi-sexual?

And I read somewhere it was an open secret about King Ferdinand I of Bulgaria being bi-sexual?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R Maier esq View Post
Yes, I read those rumours somewhere too actually.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Why HRH Prince William in this thread ??
Prince William is mentioned at the start of the thread and I used him as an example because he is not married yet and also because of the hypothetical problem concerning titles for royal spouses - I'm a little more familiar with British titles customs than I am of other countries'.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R Maier esq View Post
This rumour started in the 1930s, when the OVRA, the fascist secret police, collected several files about the members of the Italian Royal Family, in order to discredit them - Mussolini was against the monarchy, and wanted to get rid of it.
Files were collected about the then Prince Umberto, Prince Philipp of Hesse (Umberto's brother in law), Prince Adalberto of Savoy, and all them were said to be homosexual.
In Umberto's case, the rumours increased because among his friends was the homosexual cinema director Luchino Visconti, and because after the separation from Queen Maria Josť in 1947 he rarely (or never) hung out with women.
This rumour was used against him during the electoral campaign in 1946, when a republican politician during a speech asked to the people "Do you want a pederast King perhaps?"

Btw, probably (I'm quite sure) it was only a rumour, set about only with political and diffamatory aims.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Though the topic is interesting, I would like to discuss not a hypotethical thing, but somthing that is 100% sure.
This week I found out that one of the younger royal generation is actually having only male gay friends on his facebook profile, while actually only looking for his photo to add to a family tree. So my question is: of WHOM Do we actually know that he or she was gay/lesbian among the royals and nobility.
For example we had the famous case some years ago of Young Lord (jonkheer) Floris Michiels van Kessenich who was openly gay and died of aids (1957-1991).
As far as I know in England about only one member of the royal family is every historian 100% sure that he was gay, namely Prince Albert Victor (1864-1892), he let himself be photographed with his gay-friends of which recently one photo was donated to the NPG
Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think 'to know' is a tricky definition. As far as I know there are very few royals who are openly gay at the moment. That does not mean that they are not, but it means that there has never been an official statement about it and they behave in a discreet way. There are of course always rumors about prince X or princess Y to be gay, but most of such rumors are based on hearsay and on unverifiable testimonies of people.

The only one who comes up in my mind now is a nephew of the Aga Kahn, Andrew Embiricos,who created some sort of scandal in 2007 by appearing in an adult amateur gay video. Though he is not royal, strictly speaking: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20...ra_effort.html
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I don't think there was ever proof that Prince Albert Victor was 100% gay but he was associated with a gay sex scandal prior to his death. But no information was ever provided (as if it would) that he did participate in the actual scandal.

And how does taking pictures with gay friends make you gay? It just means you are taking pictures with people who might or might not be gay.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well, Prince Albert Victor was in love with Princess Helene of Orleans, so I'm not sure that he was 100% gay; the only British Prince I've heard to be gay, or at least bisexual, was Prince George, Duke of Kent.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

This whole debate is one I find really interesing as a gay man myself. It is surely only a matter of time now before a royal comes out, and I think the days of a fake marriage as a cover are over now - especially as we have gay civil unions in most of the countries with monarchies we are talking about here. I actually think when it does come it will be a bit of a 'so what' reaction from most people, as gay people in most European countries are to be found at the highest echelons of society. I'd be surprised if we don't have this situation within five years, as lets face it, the odds are on that there has to be one at least!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Though they may have been mentioned already, Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria and Henry Stuart, Cardinal York, also had sexual relationships with men. "Foxy Ferdinand" had a yen for tall, blond men.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Gentry

Well, I did browse this thread but I didn't really read it. So please excuse me, if this has been already posted.
But I'm sure, that I read sometime, the late Princess Margaret had a lesbian affair as well. I guess it is even said, that her family arranged this affair, because they didn't want Margaret to have a relationship with a man back then. The princess was still quite young back then.
Is there any proof to this rumour?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne-fan View Post
Well, I did browse this thread but I didn't really read it. So please excuse me, if this has been already posted.
But I'm sure, that I read sometime, the late Princess Margaret had a lesbian affair as well. I guess it is even said, that her family arranged this affair, because they didn't want Margaret to have a relationship with a man back then. The princess was still quite young back then.
Is there any proof to this rumour?
In the film The Queen's Sister, it highlights Margarets, lesbian tendencies I suppose.
Sex, drugs and Princess Margaret | Mail Online

I think it is all a rumour.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Gentry

Thanks for the link. Why do you think it's all a rumour?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Because I do not think that even Princess Margaret was that rebellious.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Commoner

Personally, I think that a gay marriage within any monarchy would only be possible if the monarch was "absolute monarch". And thus would not be constitutional. He or she would not need to ask the government of the day for permission to marry someone of the same sex. I think there could be a Queen regnant and a Queen consort married to one another. Although this could cause the downfall of the monarchy if the people of the country don't approve.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Commoner

I am gay, and if I was a absolute monarch I would first marry a woman. Have children. Divorce the woman and marry my partner. That way I have provided a heir to the throne. As well as a spare.

I would hire a woman who was a virgin to be surrogate mother to my children. She would be paid very well for all of this and the marriage would be set up as a business deal. Once the children were born we would negotiate a divorce so that I could marry my partner. I would give my ex-wife a Dukedom of some sort. She would be treated more kinder than Princess Diana and we would remain friends. Since I would be absolute I would have my partner legally adopt the children.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Courtier

5 years is irrealistic IMO: the young princes whose sexual preferences are not known by the public or not clear because of their young age are so few! Actually is there somebody?
Probably you have to wait at least that the royal children are grown up, so let's say 20 years..