The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Aristocracy

Is there any proof that Prince Waldemar and his nephew Prince George of Greece where lovers ? I mean were they caught in bed together or what ?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbevb View Post
Is there any proof that Prince Waldemar and his nephew Prince George of Greece where lovers ? I mean were they caught in bed together or what ?
rebbevb, you'll just have to accept the fact that Waldemar and George had an intimate relationship. It's historical record.
No-one burst into their bedroom, caught them en flagrante or took incriminating photographs, if that is what you are after.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Royal Highness

Oh,God?To which George are you refering?Was he the son of George I,the first King of Greece?If yes,did he reign for a while?I think he did.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Prince George (1869-1957), 2nd son of George I, married 1907 Princess Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962).
King George II was the son of Constantine I.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you,Warren!!It seems there are too many "Georges" in our history,anyone can get confused
Old 11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Chaz , you are speaking about the monarchy in UK , and then about the Orleans and a King of France , which one ??
I thought this was a thread about heirs in the UK, if a Prince was gay,I merely sugested that it should be possible to find an heir. I used French monarchy as an illustration of the attitudes of an earlier time. It seems to me ,it is all of you who have carried this so far away from the original premise.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

This thread is "Gay Royalty". There is no mention of heirs or Britain in the thread title. The first post just happens to refer to Prince William.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
rebbevb, you'll just have to accept the fact that Waldemar and George had an intimate relationship. It's historical record.
No-one burst into their bedroom, caught them en flagrante or took incriminating photographs, if that is what you are after.

No Im not complaining im just trying to find out how it was found out i mean i doubt that they said we're lovers to everyone . so i was just wondering how it became known i mean do u understand what im saying Warren Im just confused about how it got out that they were lovers i mean if its a historical fact then someone must of told somebody and they must of had proof or it would be just a rumor do u get what im saying Warren
Old 12-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Administrator

See post 281 above by Boris.
The fact the Princes spent so much time together over a very long period (including at times living together), Waldemar accompanying Prince George and Princess Marie on their honeymoon, and George's coffin containing a picture of Waldemar and a lock of his hair, may have given astute observers some clues as to the nature of the relationship.
If you want to source the nitty-gritty details you could read the biographies of Princess Marie Bonaparte.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I thought this was a thread about heirs in the UK, if a Prince was gay,I merely sugested that it should be possible to find an heir. I used French monarchy as an illustration of the attitudes of an earlier time. It seems to me ,it is all of you who have carried this so far away from the original premise.
No harm intended!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Gentry

OK, so I started reading through this thread but its too huge and the debates over whether homosexuality is genetic or not, gay sheep, the Duchess of Windsor being HRH or not, and so on...kinda tiresome.

Maybe we can begin compiling a "definitive" list?

King William II of England (rumoured)
King Richard I of England (rumoured)
King Edward II of England , with Piers Gaveston and others
King James I/VI of England and Scots, with his older cousin Esme Stuart and others
? Gaston Jean-Baptiste, Duc d'Orleans
Philippe de France, Duc d'Orleans, with Philippe Mancini (Cardinal Mazarin's nephew) and the Chevalier de Lorraine
King William III of England with Arnold Joost von Keppel and others
Infante Francisco of Spain, consort of Queen Isabella
Infante Luis of Spain, nephew of Q. Isabella and husband of Princess Amedee de Broglie
Ernest Louis, Grand Duke of Hesse
Prince Waldemar of Denmark and his nephew Prince George of Greece and Denmark
Prince George of Kent
Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia
Prince Aribert of Anhalt (?)
King Gustav V Adolf of Sweden (rumoured)
Prince Dimitri of Serbia with Alvaro Cuadrado
Sultan Qaabos of Oman (rumoured)
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Royal Highness

I would not expect any royal (or commoner) who is exclusively attracted in a sexual way to people of the same sex to attempt a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. It would show that they have a hang up about their own sexuality and if they are not prepared to accept themselves as they are, I cannot see how anyone else can acceot them either. So in short, I don't think it matters if a "gay" monarch existed because there are likely to be at least one brother, sister, neice or nephew to take on the crown in due course. Having a direct heir is not necessary.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'd say that putting King Gustav V. Adolf in the 'rumored' category is unnecessary - his long relationship with Kurt Hjalby (which ended badly...) is a historic fact, just like him and his wife Queen Viktoria reaching a very amicable understanding about the matter.
Also, the current Omani ruler Sultan Qaboos is not merely 'rumored' to be gay but universally believed to be gay - it was never denied, his only marriage was brief, he doesn’t have any children and the succession issue is actually a troublesome in Oman right now.
Of course we can’t compare a gay Royal in the 21st century with gay Royals of the past. Attitudes towards being gay have changed so much (and so many times) in the past that each Royal has to be seen with his respective historic background – which might or might NOT have been more repressive than today.
As far as children are concerned, gays have fathered children since the beginning of mankind, and so have gay Royals. The matter of succession and of switching it to other family branches has never been as relaxed as today but rather been a highly important political issue. Of course in today’s world, I would hope for any gay Royal to be able to live exactly the kind of life which corresponds to his nature.
Still, producing an heir to continue the monarchy might unexpectedly become a necessity: The Swedish Royal family would be extinct by now if King Carl Gustaf didn’t have children. There were no other heirs qualifying but him and his childless uncle Prince Bertil. Even now, in the unlikely case of none of the Bernadotte children producing an heir(ess), it would be the end of the Swedish monarchy.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

To avoid this thread being closed, it's worth repeating the ground rules:

• Before some members get too carried away with "naming names", a reminder that the thread is NOT to be used to peddle rumours.

• The only living persons who are to be named here are those who have outed themselves, eg Prince Dimitri, and those where it is an accepted fact, eg the Sultan of Oman.

• In the same manner, we will NOT indulge in fishing expeditions.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Warren
Royal Forums Administrator
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Gentry

Also, maybe it would be of interest to do a simplistic family tree linking some of the names, most of them have some Bourbon and/or BRF ancestors in common
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Courtier

Prince Louis Ferdinand of Pussia? Or are you thinking of his uncle, Prince Eitle Friedrich?
You missed out a couple of Romanovs.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Gentry

Hmm...Don't know if I should even be posting in this thread still, but...

Louis Ferdinand was a lover of Prince George of Kent, if I recall correctly.

Which Romanovs? And who's Eitle Friedrich?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Courtier

Eitl Friedrich of Prussia was a son of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Grand Duke Sergei was rumoured to like men and there was a Grand Duke Michael who was well know. I'm not convinced about Louis Ferdinand, where did you hear/read this?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Eitl Friedrich of Prussia was a son of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Grand Duke Sergei was rumoured to like men and there was a Grand Duke Michael who was well know. I'm not convinced about Louis Ferdinand, where did you hear/read this?
Regarding Sergei, there is nothing in history at this time to support that he was gay. Do I have my suspicions? Yes. But according to Christopher Warwick who wrote: Ella, Princess, Saint, Martyr, there is nothing to draw on, only speculation. It was not like KR who kept those details in a diary.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I also have read somewhere, but I can't remember the source, something about a relationship between Louis Ferdinand and the Duke of Kent, and also a lot of stories of relationships between gay princes...I remember it also mentioned the Duke of Edinburgh, King Pavlos of Greece, the Earl Mountbatten of Burma, the Duke of Windsor, Prince Andreas of Greece and Denmark, Landgrave Philipp of Hesse, Grand Dukes Georg and Ludwig of Hesse, and others that I don't remember...