First Communions, Confirmations Etc

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

contessa

Aristocracy
Are there any pictures of royal first communions, confirmations, other church related ceremonies?

Is it some sort of tradition in the SRF for boys to wear sailor outfits on first communion? Of course, when Alfonso's picture was taken, most royal boys wore sailor outfits at one point, but I noticed for Infanta Elena's son (Felipe?) wore one too for his first communion.

Is it some sort of tradition in the SRF for boys to wear sailor outfits on first communion? Of course, when Alfonso's picture was taken, most royal boys wore sailor outfits at one point, but I noticed for Infanta Elena's son (Felipe?) wore one too for his first communion.

Crown prince Felipe wore a suit that I believe was not a sailor outfit. But I guess it also depends on the school they go to. Felipe didn't take his comunion on his school (I believe), but his cousin Froilan did. And at this school it was a custom for all boys to be dressed in sailor outfits, which is why he wore one as well.

is there different ages royal children have their confirmations i were thinkning of prince nikolai is confirmations in denmark about 15 years or younger?

What is the religion in Sweden? I tought confirmation was only for Catholics and Orthodox.. Im catholic and i was almost 18 when i took my confirmation, I remember the priest was pretty strict about the age.. I was 16 when I entered, you have to take a 2 year catechesis course.

The Church of Sweden is Lutheran.

On April 4, 1790, Princess Marie Therese of France received her First Holy Communion.
Her father, King Louis XVI, was not allowed to attend.

What is the religion in Sweden? I tought confirmation was only for Catholics and Orthodox.. Im catholic and i was almost 18 when i took my confirmation, I remember the priest was pretty strict about the age.. I was 16 when I entered, you have to take a 2 year catechesis course.
Some Protestant denominations do have Confirmation for young people.

The Church of England has Confirmation too, but other than members of the BRF I don't know how often British teens are confirmed.

Anglicans as well. Some of the termed traditional Protestants do, Lutherans and Presbyterians among them. In the Protestant church it is considered more a coming of age Right then a sacrament. More evangelical, like baptists who perform adult/believer baptisms, don't tend to.

Age defends on area. Early teens is more common in Britain and Canada. I was in elementary, grade eight I believe so about thirteen I think. Later teens in other areas.

Last edited:
The Church of England has Confirmation too, but other than members of the BRF I don't know how often British teens are confirmed.

This is an oldish post but I'm a member of the Church of England and I was confirmed aged 13. The official CofE website states that there's no particular age to be confirmed, but most of the people I know who are also part of the Church of England were confirmed at the same time as me.

CyrilVladisla - Nice find! Prince Carl was a cute kid back then! :) Same goes for the other Princes.

Cheers,
Sophia

My younger son will be confirmed into the Catholic church on 31st of May at the age of 12. I think within the Catholic and Protestant traditions the age of Confirmation seems to swing from between 12 to 15 years old.

Last edited:
My younger son will be confirmed into the Catholic church on 31st of May at the age of 12. I think within the Catholic and Protestant traditions the age of Confirmation seems to swing from between 12 to 15 years old.

In the Protestant Church of the Netherlands (and its predecessors) it has always been 18 years old - after a year of confirmation cathechesis (which takes place after several years of general cathechesis). Nowadays it is truly a personal choice. For example, king Willem-Alexander waited until his late 20s and we don't know whether his brothers were ever confirmed.

N.B. Confirmation is called 'Confession of Faith' (geloofsbelijdenis).

According Wikipedia the Rev. Carel ter Linden, the royal family's regular minister, he gave catechesis to the three sons of Queen Beatrix as well did their confessions:

Carel ter Linden 1933:

Confession Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn

Religious service for the marriage of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands with Ms Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst, 19 May 2001, the Great- or Saint James' Church in The Hague

Religious service for the marriage of Prince Willem-Alexander, The Prince of Orange, with Ms Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti, 2 February 2002, the New Church in Amsterdam

Religious service for the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands, 15 October 2002, the New Church in Delft

Religious service for the christening of Eloïse countess van Orange-Nassau van Amsberg 15 December 2002, the Chapel of Het Loo Palace

Religious service for the wedding of Prince Friso of the Netherlands with Ms Mabel Martine Wisse Smit, 24 April 2004, the Old Church in Delft

Religious service for the christening of Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, 12 June 2004, the Great- or Saint James' Church in The Hague

Religious service for the christening of Claus-Casimir count van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg , 10 October 2004, the Chapel of Het Loo Palace

Religious service for the funeral Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, 11 December 2004, the New Church in Delft

Religious service for the christening of Leonore countess van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, 8 October 2006, the Chapel of Het Loo Palace

Religious service for the funeral of Prince Friso of the Netherlands, 16 Augustus 2013, the Old Village Church, Lage Vuursche

What source do they cite for the confessions of Friso and Constantijn?

In the Protestant Church of the Netherlands (and its predecessors) it has always been 18 years old - after a year of confirmation cathechesis (which takes place after several years of general cathechesis). Nowadays it is truly a personal choice. For example, king Willem-Alexander waited until his late 20s and we don't know whether his brothers were ever confirmed.

Definitely they were in every Christian rite you have to be confirmed (to be mature Christian) to wed in a Church (Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle were confirmed shortly before their respective weddings)

Definitely they were in every Christian rite you have to be confirmed (to be mature Christian) to wed in a Church (Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle were confirmed shortly before their respective weddings)
The Church of Sweden doesn't require you to be confirmed to get married.

That is quite a bit older than most Christian denominations. What is the general age for Confirmation in Sweden?

That is quite a bit older than most Christian denominations. What is the general age for Confirmation in Sweden?
Most of those that get confirmed do so aged 15.

Back
Top Bottom