Finances of the Young Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobbery

City
Paris
Country
France
How do the young royals finance their lifestyles? Do they have trust funds or do they work?

Last edited:
The British royals have trust funds, some thanks to the queen mum. From accounts I have read, low estimates are around 20 million. Harry and William also have their money from Diana.

The three Swedish kids all have large portfolios of stocks and investments. Madeleine. The king also seems to share some of his annuity with the two younger, as Victoria gets her own.

But many of the monarchies encourage younger children to work as wel. And with the heirs of defunct thrones, that is even more common.

Some jobs:

Britain:
-Eugenie works for an art gallery
-Peter works in marketing
-Zara is an equestrian and spokeswoman

Luxembourg
-Felix and Claire run her family winery
-Louis works in corporate social responsibility

Monaco
-Charlotte is equestrian, spokes model and sometimes journalist
-piere works for his father's business

Others
-princess mako is an university museum researcher
-Philippos is a hedge fund analyst
-Theodora is an actress
-Amadeo works as a management consultant in New York

If you go older, or further from the throne you will find many more examples.

Among the aristocracy, like the defunct thrones, you will find even heirs work.

-the current duke of Westminster worked in bio fuel prior to his dad dying. One of his sisters works in prison reform
-duke of Northumberland (owns hog warts) his heir George works in thermal energy. His daughters are a gunsmith and tennis pro
- the duke of Wellington, his eldest son is a banker. One of his daughters, the one married Tatiana santo domingos uncle is a producer in the studio of Mario Testino

Last edited:
The children of the King of Sweden, Victoria, Madeline and CP all have a company that invests in stocks and shares for them. They receive income from this, Victoria also receives an allowance of her own while CP and Madeleine get something from the King for all their work.

The grandchildren of Queen Elizabeth II all have access to Trust Funds, most set up by the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. It was said in 1994 she placed £19million into a trust fund for her great grandchildren (not including The Wessex children who were not born at that point). https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/apr/03/queenmother.monarchy2

Then there is anything the Queen has put in place for them, I suspect other Trust funds have been set up for them. We know when Sarah Ferguson divorced Prince Andrew £1.4million was put in a trust fund for Beatrice and Eugenie so I imagine similar amounts must have been put away for her other grandchildren (with possibly the exception of William). It has also been said that Sunningdale House was eventually owned before it was sold, by a trust Fund set up for Beatrice and Eugenie. I've also read that Gatcombe Park or at least the farm house Captain Mark Phillips lived in is owned by a Trust Fund in Zara and Peter's names. All in all none of the Queen's grandchildren are going to be stuck for cash anytime soon.

I suspect most young royals are lucky to have some sort of trust fund set up for them. Even a small amount of money or assets invested by parents or grandparents when they are born will provide at least a small nest egg for their future life. However it is also worth noting that some royal families, such as the Danish Royals, do not have substantial assets of their own to create such funds with. I also suspect most younger royals are lucky enough to receive some sort of allowance from their parents, especially if their parent in the Sovereign or Head of the House.

What is the name of the tennis pro daughter of the Duke of Northumberland? I follow tennis and am curious. Also, what name does Theodora act under and has she done anything notable? Thanks.

I suspect most young royals are lucky to have some sort of trust fund set up for them. Even a small amount of money or assets invested by parents or grandparents when they are born will provide at least a small nest egg for their future life. However it is also worth noting that some royal families, such as the Danish Royals, do not have substantial assets of their own to create such funds with. .

I don't think there is much information available about the private finances of the Danish royal family. It is unfortunate IMHO that Prince Joachim is a state-funded full-time working royal as that precludes him from having a career in the private sector, which, in the long run, would be better to build up assets for his children.

I don't think there is much information available about the private finances of the Danish royal family. It is unfortunate IMHO that Prince Joachim is a state-funded full-time working royal as that precludes him from having a career in the private sector, which, in the long run, would be better to build up assets for his children.

Full-time working royal...Joachim?? ;)
I think he has plenty of assets for his children already.

Joachim is a man in bonus since the sale of Shackenborg Estate.

What is the name of the tennis pro daughter of the Duke of Northumberland? I follow tennis and am curious. Also, what name does Theodora act under and has she done anything notable? Thanks.

Tennis pro not professional tennis player. The term refers to someone who coaches. It's used in multiple sports. Lady Melissa Percy, a good friend of pippa.

She did play, but not very successful.
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100033392

Theodora has been on the American soap opera 'The bold and the beautiful' for six years now. A minor roll but pretty regular, she plays Allison, the personal assistant to one of the top characters. She acts under Theodora Greece,
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3576837/

Last edited:
Tennis pro not professional tennis player. The term refers to someone who coaches. It's used in multiple sports. Lady Melissa Percy, a good friend of pippa.

She did play, but not very successful.
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100033392

Theodora has been on the American soap opera 'The bold and the beautiful' for six years now. A minor roll but pretty regular, she plays Allison, the personal assistant to one of the top characters. She acts under Theodora Greece,
Theodora Greece - IMDb

Thanks for the info. I've never seen that Soap but I might take a look, out of curiosity.

I knew, but forgot, about Melissa Percy. I was thinking about a player not coach.

I think they are set for life. They have trust funds worth millions.

Prince Bernhard Jr. van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven (second son of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands and cousin to King Willem-Alexander) owns 590 real estates in the Netherlands (houses, offices, shops) of which 349 in the city of Amsterdam.

The properties outside the Netherlands were not investigated by the newspaper Het Parool.

Prins Bernhard 'vastgoedprins' van Amsterdam met 349 panden - AT5: de nieuwszender van Amsterdam en omgeving

Bernhard Jr. and his family live in a beautiful city-villa alongside a canal at the Weteringschans, in the middle of Amsterdam: picture.

Last edited:

Who are you talking about? I am pretty sure there are large differences between the families - and sometimes even between members within one family.

The British royals have trust funds, some thanks to the queen mum. From accounts I have read, low estimates are around 20 million. Harry and William also have their money from Diana.

The three Swedish kids all have large portfolios of stocks and investments. Madeleine. The king also seems to share some of his annuity with the two younger, as Victoria gets her own.

But many of the monarchies encourage younger children to work as wel. And with the heirs of defunct thrones, that is even more common.

Some jobs:

Britain:
-Eugenie works for an art gallery
-Peter works in marketing
-Zara is an equestrian and spokeswoman

Luxembourg
-Felix and Claire run her family winery
-Louis works in corporate social responsibility

Monaco
-Charlotte is equestrian, spokes model and sometimes journalist
-piere works for his father's business

Others
-princess mako is an university museum researcher
-Philippos is a hedge fund analyst
-Theodora is an actress
-Amadeo works as a management consultant in New York

If you go older, or further from the throne you will find many more examples.

Among the aristocracy, like the defunct thrones, you will find even heirs work.

Amedeo moved to Belgium several years ago, so no longer a management consultant in New York. Apparently, he currently works for his father's bank (which is based in Basel, Switzerland if I am not mistaken).

To me it seems rather logical that everyone who is not supposed to do royal duties is encouraged to work if only to find meaning for there own lives (and hopefully contribute something to the world), the rich that don't (because of inheriting or having access to a large fortune) many times end up quite messed up.

Last edited:
In the Netherlands only the current King, the future King and the former King (as well their spouses) receive an income from the State.

All other members of the royal family have to earn their own income.

Prince Johan Friso of the Netherlands (brother of the King, died in 2013) was a fellow consultant at McKinsey, vice-president investment banking at Goldman Sachs, partly CEO of TNO Space and Aeronautics in Delft, Partner in Rabobank Ventures, co-founder and shareholder in MRI Centrum Amsterdam, co-founder and shareholder in Wizz Air, member of various supervisory boards of enterprises in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (brother of the King) was Director of RAND Europe in London, advisor of the European Commission in Brussels and now Special Envoy of StartUpDelta (a State Agency for the strengthening, connecting and growing of the thriving startup ecosystem of the Netherlands).

Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme, the Duke of Parma (cousin of the King) was in the Implementation Task Force for the Euro (the currency) at ABN AMRO Bank, was public affairs-consultant at EPPA (European Public Policy Advisors, a lobby institute) and currently is director of Institute for Innovation and Sustainability as co-founder of the National Energy Accord in the Netherlands (bringing all sectors together to reach the goals set in the Paris Climate Accord).

Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme (cousine of the King) worked as an interior designer and currently has her own jewelry line.

Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme (cousin of the King) made a career in the Corps Diplomatique and has been stationed on various posts. At the moment he is the Ambassador of his cousin, His Majesty The King of the Netherlands, at the Holy See.

Princess Maria Carolina de Bourbon de Parme (cousine of the King) has worked in various roles for the United Nations. At the moment she is working for the UNWRA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East).

Etc.

You mentioned in another thread that you don't know a lot about royals yet, but want to learn.
In my humble opinion, the view you have of royals is very romantic and fairy-tale-ish.
There is a lot to learn about the real royals on these forums and there are some very knowledgable posters, but in my humble opinion, you might consider realizing that real royals and glamour images of royals are two different things... :flowers:

In the Netherlands only the current King, the future King and the former King (as well their spouses) receive an income from the State.

All other members of the royal family have to earn their own income.

Prince Johan Friso of the Netherlands (brother of the King, died in 2013) was a fellow consultant at McKinsey, vice-president investment banking at Goldman Sachs, partly CEO of TNO Space and Aeronautics in Delft, Partner in Rabobank Ventures, co-founder and shareholder in MRI Centrum Amsterdam, co-founder and shareholder in Wizz Air, member of various supervisory boards of enterprises in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (brother of the King) was Director of RAND Europe in London, advisor of the European Commission in Brussels and now Special Envoy of StartUpDelta (a State Agency for the strengthening, connecting and growing of the thriving startup ecosystem of the Netherlands).

Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme, the Duke of Parma (cousin of the King) was in the Implementation Task Force for the Euro (the currency) at ABN AMRO Bank, was public affairs-consultant at EPPA (European Public Policy Advisors, a lobby institute) and currently is director of Institute for Innovation and Sustainability as co-founder of the National Energy Accord in the Netherlands (bringing all sectors together to reach the goals set in the Paris Climate Accord).

Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme (cousine of the King) worked as an interior designer and currently has her own jewelry line.

Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme (cousin of the King) made a career in the Corps Diplomatique and has been stationed on various posts. At the moment he is the Ambassador of his cousin, His Majesty The King of the Netherlands, at the Holy See.

Princess Maria Carolina de Bourbon de Parme (cousine of the King) has worked in various roles for the United Nations. At the moment she is working for the UNWRA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East).

Etc.
Are you sure that Carolina still works for the UNWRA as she is currently living in Hong Kong because of her husband's job in the family business? All in all, of the four Bourbon Parma's prince(sse)s Jaime and Carolina are/have been very successful in their international careers, Carlos also found his own way. The only one that had a harder time seems to have been Margarita; her work as interior designer and jeweler are relatively recent and not what the family was living on in their first years of marriage (and probably still not; but Tjalling has had steady jobs: Legal Examining Officer at the Nederlandsche Bank (from May 2008-May 2014) and for the last 3 1/2 years Business Development for Juno Investment Partners (based in Wassenaar) per LinkedIn.

It’d why I said I think.

We know for sure that special Trust Funds were established for the three youngest daughthers of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands and the two youngest sons of Queen Beatrix. These five royals (Princess Irene, Princess Margriet, Princess Christina, Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn) never got any cent from the State. These Trust Funds help them when needed "for the execution of the royal dignity as a Prince (Princess) of the House Orange-Nassau". We know this for sure because these Funds are registered in public registers. We may assume that King Willem-Alexander will create a similar Trust Fund for his two youngest daughters, to ensure that also they will be able "to execute the royal dignity" as princesses of the House Orange-Nassau.

We know that Diana, Princess of Wales has left a Trust Fund for her two sons. We know that Prince Carl Philip of Sweden was the beneficiary of the Galliera Foundation which holds capital, artworks, inventories, etc. but he has agreed to make his sister Crown Princess Victoria the beneficiary indeed, so that the Galliera Foundation remains with the Bearer of the Crown. Prince Joachim of Denmark has been the beneficiary of Shackenborg Estate, which he has sold in the meantime. That is more or less what I know about financial arrangements for junior royals. In Belgium descendants of King Leopold II are helped by the Donation Royale, a massive gift by King Leopold II to the State with certain conditions, like the usufruct of several royal residences for the Royal House.

Last edited:
We know for sure that special Trust Funds were established for the three youngest daughthers of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands and the two youngest sons of Queen Beatrix. These five royals (Princess Irene, Princess Margriet, Princess Christina, Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn) never got any cent from the State. These Trust Funds help them when needed "for the execution of the royal dignity as a Prince (Princess) of the House Orange-Nassau". We know this for sure because these Funds are registered in public registers. We may assume that King Willem-Alexander will create a similar Trust Fund for his two youngest daughters, to ensure that also they will be able "to execute the royal dignity" as princesses of the House Orange-Nassau.

We know that Diana, Princess of Wales has left a Trust Fund for her two sons. We know that Prince Carl Philip of Sweden was the beneficiary of the Galliera Foundation which holds capital, artworks, inventories, etc. but he has agreed to make his sister Crown Princess Victoria the beneficiary indeed, so that the Galliera Foundation remains with the Bearer of the Crown. Prince Joachim of Denmark has been the beneficiary of Shackenborg Estate, which he has sold in the meantime. That is more or less what I know about financial arrangements for junior royals. In Belgium descendants of King Leopold II are helped by the Donation Royale, a massive gift by King Leopold II to the State with certain conditions, like the usufruct of several royal residences for the Royal House.

Why did Carl Philip give it to his sister?
Just saying they aren't lacking in anything.

Why did Carl Philip give it to his sister?
Just saying they aren't lacking in anything.
The Galliera foundation and the other Royal foundations are what makes up the core of the family's fortune and without it the Royal palaces would be empty of everything that's not state property. As it was always intended to follow the monarch the King decided to change the statutes of the foundations to let them continue to do so.
According to the rules regarding the former entails of Sweden (the so called foundations are in reality entails) the other heirs must give their permission to let them continue.
Although the entails were abolished in the 1960s the Royal entails were not.
Another aspect of the importance of letting them follow the monarch is as stated above - only Royal entails remain and as Carl-Philip and his line becomes further removed from the throne there's a very big risk for the heirs to apply to have the entails abolished and sell off one of the largest private collections in Europe, if not the world.
The jewellery collection alone has few rivals neither in size nor in age.

Last edited:
The Galliera foundation and the other Royal foundations are what makes up the core of the family's fortune and without it the Royal palaces would be empty of everything that's not state property. As it was always intended to follow the monarch the King decided to change the statutes of the foundations to let them continue to do so.
According to the rules regarding the former entails of Sweden (the so called foundations are in reality entails) the other heirs must give their permission to let them continue.
Another aspect of the importance of letting them follow the monarch is as stated above - only Royal entails remain and as Carl-Philip and his line becomes further removed from the throne there's a very big risk for the heirs to apply to have the entails abolished and sell off one of the largest private collections in Europe, if not the world.

Isn't the jewelry collection part of the Bernadotte Family Foundation ? I didn't know that foundation was an entail.

So its not in Carl's property any longer? But can he still oversee it?

:previous: Why would he over see it? It would be like Charles inheriting the royal collection in the UK, but Andrew being the one with the power to over see it.

It makes sense that they had him sign over it. The galliera was always intended to remain with the throne. It supplies the art work, furniture and such for the royal houses. Unfortunately when it was established, like the monarchy, it followed male primogeniture. Having CP sign it over, well when the king dies it will pass over CP to Victoria, allows this to continue. It will ensure Victoria, Estelle and any other monarchs after them, have control over these properties. The last thing needed is for a grandson or such of CP deciding he needs money, like the Lindleys, and selling off the furnishings of the palace in Stockholm and leaving the monarch with an empty palace.

CP was left his Uncle Bertil's estate, as well as other investments, so it isn't like he has been left bereft.

The Bernadotte foundation, which includes the tiaras and main jewels, is another matter. The foundation was established like in the UK, to keep certain pieces with the crown, and preserve them in the line. The main tiaras and jewels will pass naturally to Victoria and down.

:previous: Why would he over see it? It would be like Charles inheriting the royal collection in the UK, but Andrew being the one with the power to over see it.

It makes sense that they had him sign over it. The galliera was always intended to remain with the throne. It supplies the art work, furniture and such for the royal houses. Unfortunately when it was established, like the monarchy, it followed male primogeniture. Having CP sign it over, well when the king dies it will pass over CP to Victoria, allows this to continue. It will ensure Victoria, Estelle and any other monarchs after them, have control over these properties. The last thing needed is for a grandson or such of CP deciding he needs money, like the Lindleys, and selling off the furnishings of the palace in Stockholm and leaving the monarch with an empty palace.

CP was left his Uncle Bertil's estate, as well as other investments, so it isn't like he has been left bereft.

The Bernadotte foundation, which includes the tiaras and main jewels, is another matter. The foundation was established like in the UK, to keep certain pieces with the crown, and preserve them in the line. The main tiaras and jewels will pass naturally to Victoria and down.
Then why give it to him the first place and not Victoria?

It was a wise decision and generous by Prince Carl Philip to agree with the change. He could have been a man in big bonus with the Galliera Foundation but understood the importance of this for the monarchy. Of course it helps that he is not too pauvre either but it remains generous and showed responsibility for the continuation of the proper workings of the monarchy.

Last edited:
You're all right - the foundations were founded as entails but changed into foundations by Oscar II.
That'll teach me not to post in the middle of the night after a bottle of wine...

These are the foundations and trust funds of the Orange-Nassaus. Also the De Bourbon de Parmes (children of Princess Irene) and the Guillermos (children of Princess Christina) have trust funds administered at Noordeinde Palace: the Lys Fund resp. the Daffodil Trust. The children of Princess Margriet possibly use an external properties management agency.

The junior daughters of Queen Juliana have the Fund Functional Costs House of Orange-Nassau I.

The junior sons of Queen Beatrix have the Fund Functional Costs House of Orange-Nassau II.

We may assume King Willem-Alexander will establish a Fund Functional Costs House of Orange-Nassau III for his junior daughters.

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/docume...-die-gerelateerd-zijn-aan-het-koninklijk-huis

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom