Fighting Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
planetcher said:
I thought I remember seeing photos of Maxima and Alexander fighting with paparazzi.

Do you think you can get those pictures and post them, planetcher? That would be very interesting! Thanks!:flowers:

I don' t think Maxima ever had a fight, as far as I know she just puts a hand in front of her face or in the direction of the camera, especially bfore she was engaged. But in overall Maxima is rather polite to photoraphers.

Her husband once had a fight with a photographer on Schiphol airport. I believe he was still in his early 20-ties then and his girlfriend was there to (Yolande Adriaanse if I am not mistaken). As a child he and his brothers sometimes had fun shooting elastics to photographers, or even kicking a fooball towards them. Beatrix had to reprmand them in public then, which was rather embarrasing for her.

When Maxima and Willem-Alexander were in Australia last year, they had an incident with the media. The media was asking how they were enjoying their stay and WA replied "It's private, leave us alone" or something like that. Then the media shouted "Don't come back!" while the car drove away.

Well, one reporter asked that to them (in New Zealand I believe). The reporter was stalking the couple in their hotel and was asked several times to leave, which he didn' t. So when he asked the Prince if he was enjoying his stay, while he ruined it a bit, the prince gave this reply. Not vry diplomatic but understandable from his side (though not clever). There was one man in the public who said ' Don' t come back', but he obviously didn't know why the Prince was angry with this reporter.

In Kitty Kelly's book The Royals (a great book, but I'm not sure how reputable it is!:) ) says that Diana and Anne couldn't stand each other. Charles wanted Anne to be a godmother to the boys, and each time he asked Diana refused to let her, and that made Anne very angry. Diana kept saying Anne was Philip in drag, and Anne said that Diana was too gooey about children.

I wouldn't give Kitty Kelley any credibility for anything!

acdc1 said:
In Kitty Kelly's book The Royals (a great book, but I'm not sure how reputable it is!:) ) says that Diana and Anne couldn't stand each other. Charles wanted Anne to be a godmother to the boys, and each time he asked Diana refused to let her, and that made Anne very angry. Diana kept saying Anne was Philip in drag, and Anne said that Diana was too gooey about children.

I didn't read this from that book, but it was once stated that the reason Anne didn't attend Harry's christening was because she was angry that Diana had never asked her to be godmother. Of course this could just be another made up story by the press. We know how much they love a good royal feud! ;)

Dennism said:
I rather doubt that Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I were really close either...:rolleyes:

i heard that they probably never met in their lives and that in fact they weren't as annoyed with each other as the people thought them to be. after all they were cousins. i have the impression it was the "marketing" of that time and the traditional fighting between them for the throne: they obviously had to look as if they were annoyed at each other to lead up the people who were supporting both of them, but apparently elizabeth didn't wish to kill mary and preferred her to be a prisoner rather, but did so because the people wanted her to.

Last edited:
I've heard about Ernst-Auguste and the paparazzi- who hasn't! And Harry also has a long and unhappy relationship with them, as did his mother.

I heard about Martha-Louise giving the finger. Does anybody have a photo of that?

Well, one reporter asked that to them (in New Zealand I believe). The reporter was stalking the couple in their hotel and was asked several times to leave, which he didn' t. So when he asked the Prince if he was enjoying his stay, while he ruined it a bit, the prince gave this reply. Not vry diplomatic but understandable from his side (though not clever). There was one man in the public who said ' Don' t come back', but he obviously didn't know why the Prince was angry with this reporter.

Additionaly, I have this extract from Dutchnews.nl, on a 'unfriendly reply' that W-A gave New Zealand reporters:

DutchNews.nl - Crown prince upsets Kiwis

Has anyone ever listened to the audio, or have a link to it? Thanks!

I have seen a photo of Diana where she tries to evade waiting paparazzi as she leaves the Chelsea Harbour Club by going out the back up through the loading dock. She jumps from the loading dock and I guess she ran around the building to her car. It was completely no use because the photographers took pics of her both jumping off the dock and fast-walking to her car.

I have seen a photo of Diana where she tries to evade waiting paparazzi as she leaves the Chelsea Harbour Club by going out the back up through the loading dock. She jumps from the loading dock and I guess she ran around the building to her car. It was completely no use because the photographers took pics of her both jumping off the dock and fast-walking to her car.

Yeah, they would always find her. It's in 1995 that they became more aggressive with her. Before, when she asked that they leave her just a few minutes so that she could do something, some paparazzi would. It was a sort of a deal. But in 1995, after the Panorama interview and all the press that was making so much money on her, they didn't let her breath for one seconde. She should have seen this when thinking that the paparazzi would leave her alone after taking pictures in St Tropez, on holidays.

Prince Ernst August aways fight with paparazzi....it´s almost daily ...hehee

He is the first one who came to my mind as he intents to take the word "fight" literally, meaning physically abusing or beating up paparazzi. He was involved in countless lawsuits but has become much calmer lately, maybe due to Caroline's good influence :cool: or due to the life threatening illness he went through.

He is the first one who came to my mind as he intents to take the word "fight" literally, meaning physically abusing or beating up paparazzi. He was involved in countless lawsuits but has become much calmer lately, maybe due to Caroline's good influence :cool: or due to the life threatening illness he went through.

Caroline fights them too, though, not with her fists but instead using legal means. :boxing::hammer: Poor Ernstie didn't really have a problem with paparazzi until he got involved with Caroline, but obviously he adores her, so he puts up with whatever. ;)

I think Diana and Caroline and Sarah Ferguson were among the first royals to truly suffer by the, shall I say, New Age paparazzi. I think the late 80s/early 90s saw the paparazzi becoming the child of the monster it is today.

TheTruth, I recall reading in Andrew Morton's Diana: Her New Life that the paparazzi were somewhat respectful to Diana until the divorce went through, by which time they dropped the royal reverence and treated her like any common celebrity. Do you think that is somewhat true?

Last edited:
TheTruth, I recall reading in Andrew Morton's Diana: Her New Life that the paparazzi were somewhat respectful to Diana until the divorce went through, by which time they dropped the royal reverence and treated her like any common celebrity. Do you think that is somewhat true?

Yes I think also. A hell of a lot of money could be made of each picture so when there were no more police protection or HRH in front of her name, they just enjoyed themselves so to speak. Nobody could provide them of taking photos and as the law in the UK is really more flexible than in other countries, they could do practically everything they wanted. In France you have the right of image. You can sue a newspaper that has published a private photo of you. In the US, the paparazzi can't follow a famous person in a public place (airports, supermarkets, etc.) so it leaves a little more space to the celebrity. That's perhaps why Diana once talked about moving there, with also the advantage of not being the only 'attraction'. I believe she would have been more respected in the US.

Last edited:
Caroline fights them too, though, not with her fists but instead using legal means. :boxing::hammer: Poor Ernstie didn't really have a problem with paparazzi until he got involved with Caroline, but obviously he adores her, so he puts up with whatever. ;)

Very famous was the "umbrella" story, it gave Ernst-August the nickname "Pruegelprinz" (beat-up prince), just the beginning of further major clashs not only with paparazzi but also with authorities.

The Specator, January 1998
A princely clash with a cameraman inspires Andrew Gimson to trace the earlier history of the House of Hanover
PRINCE Ernst August of Hanover, descendant of British kings and German emperors, recently hit a cameraman with an umbrella. He was returning home after midnight with Princess Caroline of Monaco from a charity gala, and found the man waiting outside his gates. The prince was roughly treated in the popular German media for this outburst, especially on a vulgar television show called Blitz, which again and again showed a clip of him storming towards the cameraman.

Last edited:
Caroline fights them too, though, not with her fists but instead using legal means.

And how!

The European Court ruling in the case Von Hannover vs Germany rocked the media-world. In a judgment delivered on 24 June 2004 the Court held that there had been a violation of Princess Caroline's rights. It found that the domestic (German) courts had failed effectively to protect Princess Caroline's private life against interferences resulting from the publication by various German magazines of photos of the Princess and/or her family in her daily life.

Also in France, Germany, the Netherlands and other countries celebrities have succeed in lawsuits against media who have pictured them in private without their express permission, referring to Princess Caroline's victory.

Thát was an uppercut by Caroline!

:lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic CasiraghiTrio :flowers:.

I found this on Corbis. Interesting ... Corbis: photography, rights, assignment, motion.

The man in the center who is looking away is Arthur Edwards! :lol: I am not surprised he is quick to point out he is a "respected" photographer. He gets along with the royal family quite famously, it seems. Diana liked him, which always surprised me because he was the one to get the "first" photos of her and Charles together at Balmoral (the time Diana used her compact to blind him in the sun), and he got the photos of their Eleuthera holiday, with Diana pregnant with Prince William! :lol: But the whole family, at least the Waleses, always liked him. William was quite polite to him at the Klosters press call in 1994 or 1995, and then several years later, William declared that Arthur's picture of Wills with the Queen Mother was his (William's) favorite picture! Also, Arthur was the Honored One Chosen to cover the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall's tour of the Middle East this year.

Duke of Marmalade, I didn't know about the "Pruegelprinz" incident. I always remember, however, the Hanover Expo peeing incident, and of course the time he broke the rib cage of the hotel owner in Kenya! :ermm:

Henri M, you are so right, that Princess Caroline is one fine classy dame! ;) When she does it, she does it with style, ey?!

Duke of Marmalade, I didn't know about the "Pruegelprinz" incident. I always remember, however, the Hanover Expo peeing incident, and of course the time he broke the rib cage of the hotel owner in Kenya! :ermm:

Oh yes, that was a famous one. As the whole thing was caught on camera, it became the basis for a computer game "beat up the prince" or something where you had to hit as many Ernst Augusts with an umbrella in a certain time frame :lol: hilarious!

Further, apart from beating up several photographers (either done by himself or his notorious bodyguards) he kicked a female (!!!) photographer in Salzburg and assaulted a police officer at a traffic checkpoint (how dare you to check me a*****e).

He is much better behaving these days, I am not too much into the issue but I think in general EA changed very much and not for the better under the influence of alcohol, something he seems to be much more in control of.

He is much better behaving these days, I am not too much into the issue but I think in general EA changed very much and not for the better under the influence of alcohol, something he seems to be much more in control of.

Oh yes, very true, I remember well the brilliant Telegraph article around the time of the Marienberg auctions, when he discussed his maturation. He said that the birth of his daughter woke him up to his vices and inspired him to address the drinking problem. But I believe he also said it took years even then of struggle, and often he gave in to the temptation, until finally his 2005 hospitalization was the last straw.

About his old behavior, though, I am remembering now the time he shouted abuses at a German photographer on the phone (not so bad as the kicking, but still, very undignified!) As you say, there seems to be a happy ending to it all, and he is a much better, calmer person of late. :)

About his old behavior, though, I am remembering now the time he shouted abuses at a German photographer on the phone (not so bad as the kicking, but still, very undignified!) As you say, there seems to be a happy ending to it all, and he is a much better, calmer person of late. :)

Oh yes, how could I forget that. It wasn't a photographer but the leading - again, female - editor of the BILD newspaper, not a good idea as for them it was like Xmas and Easter on the same day :lol: Of course they taped everything, published it, went to court and - won, what a surprise. EA had to apologize to BILD, very embarrassing ;)

Does anyone have the picture of Martha Louise flipping the paparazzi off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom