The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Gentry

Zembla, prince andrea, prince pierre, and Princess Charlotte all speak english but there accents are more of a british accent i have seen a video of andrea speaking in english i know prince pierre casiraghi takes some courses at university in english and there mother has a british accent. And for Prince Harry he is fluent in English he is from a country where the national language is English.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
They still teach it in private schools....I even went to a public school where they taught it in grade 7-8 in the US.

True. I went to private school and for two years, in jr. high, I took Latin (rather we were forced.) Of course, today, I can't pronouce various words properly, but I can understand it (a little bit) when reading a text.

Oddly enough, Latin is on the rise again... who knew?

As for English, I believe most royals speak it; some may have trouble while others are fluent.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikha Pal View Post
Queen Elizabeth 2 of U.K Speaks fluent French.
Prince Charles of Wales speaks Welsh, but i didn't know that He also Speaks French and German.
Prince William is fluent in Latin and French, and Speaks some Spanish and is learning Welsh, and he tries to teach himself Swahili.
Prince Harry Is Fluent in German and Spanish.
The only language that William and Harry speak fluently is English. Both studied Latin for a year or 2 at Eton, it's compulsory there, and they would have studied some French during their early schooling.
William did take GCSE Spanish ( equalivent to Year 10, or 10th grade depending what school system you know) but his knowledge is basic as he didn't take Spanish at A level. William isn't learning Welsh he never has.
Harry didn't take any languages at GCSE level and therefore none at A level, he certainly isn't fluent in German or Spanish.
Beatrice and Eugenie both took French to GCSE level, Beatrice took no languages at A level.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles Prince of Wales speaks perfect French and German as well. In one of the news accounts of Diana's death I read that when Prince Charles flew to Paris's Salpetrier Hospital where the Princess body was, he spent an hour speaking with the surgeons who had battled to save her life. The doctor said Charles's French was flawless, which I found very impressive considering the stress and shock he must have been under that afternoon.

One of his biographer's also reports that he speaks German very well.

Also, HRH Prince Philippe, Duc de Brabant(Belgium) speaks very good English. I saw a documentary on the Belgian Royal Family a while back and he was speaking English that was heavily accented, but grammatically perfect.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina View Post
(In response to two previous posts of others) - Yes, Victoria went to Yale. It was during her battle with eating disorders and her family decided it was a good idea for her to get away for a while.

With regards to Crown Prince Philpe of Belgium's English - it's TERRIBLE. I heard him speaking at an engagement while he and CP Mathilde visited Stanford. I felt sorry for the man, but it was awful. He said a grand total of 5 words per minute because he was so focused on the English, but the speech was right there in front of him. It was what I'd call a "train wreck" if I ever saw one.

Wow...how long ago was that? I heard him giving a speech in Hawaii a few years ago and his English was fine-heavily accented but definitely understandable.

I have read that his Dutch-as well as the Princess's-is abysmal. Which is not good news at all.

The only member of the Belgian Royal Family who speaks perfect Dutch is HM
Queen Fabiola, which is just shocking to me.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Wow...how long ago was that? I heard him giving a speech in Hawaii a few years ago and his English was fine-heavily accented but definitely understandable.

I have read that his Dutch-as well as the Princess's-is abysmal. Which is not good news at all.

The only member of the Belgian Royal Family who speaks perfect Dutch is HM
Queen Fabiola, which is just shocking to me.
There's press footage of Philippe speaking English on his recent trip to China, he speaks it very well with a feint accent. Considering that he has a Masters degree from Stanford I think we can assume his English is pretty good.

From what Belgian posters have written Philippe's Dutch is actually quite good, his parents made sure to raise their children bilingual. Mathilde's Dutch is also good, she has improved from when she was first married and now it's good with a feint French accent.

Paola is the one Belgian royal who speaks very limited Dutch.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, that's good information-thanks! I am happy to hear that the Duc de Brabant does indeed speak Dutch, maybe it is the anti-monarchist Flemings who complain about his grasp of the language?

It was very wise indeed for Albert and Paola to ensure that their children spoke Dutch. Unfortunately I read in "A Throne For Brussels" by Paul Belien that when Paola first married Albert she absolutely refused to learn, saying that she found the language "ugly".

That was back in her wild, controversial days as Princess de Liege. She is a completely different woman now, and as Queen of the Belgians she undoubtedly wishes she had taken the time to learn the language!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Royal Highness

I know that Prince Willem-Alexander, Princess Maxima, and Queen Beatrix all speak great English (I've seen videos, and Queen Beatrix especially, since she spent part of her childhood in Canada), but do any other Dutch royals? And, if so, are there any videos? I've seen Princess Laurentien write in English, before.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Commoner

Princess Caroline speaks English around 7:11 and her accent doesn`t seem English. It seems American
Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Courtier

I don't know about anyone else, but I just love to hear someone speak English with an accent of their own language. A Frenchman speaking English with an accent sounding like Charles Boyer; English with Spanish accent of Ricardo Montalban; English with Italian accent of Marcello Mastroianni. I actually don't want them to try and sound American or British or Australian. It just makes them sound so unique and special with the different pronounations on certain words. Love it! I would hate to have the Royals speak "perfect" English; whatever the devil that is as English must have 100s of dialects. Believe me, moving from NY/NJ area to Kentucky--I wonder sometimes if we are all speaking English! Anyway, it just puzzles me when people write that a Royal doesn't speak "English" well as they have a strong accent -- I personally love it.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Aristocracy

This is a video of Prince Willem-Alexander talking about water shortages in English: Video - CNBC.com

Here is a video of Prince Haakon doing an interesting interview for NBC in English: http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...9-037c5e164b81

Both of them speak English well. I was especially impressed with Haakon, his English is almost flawless.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Princess Marie (Denmark) speaks English very well; obviously you can hear her French accent, but I find her much easier to understand than, for example, CP Frederik. In my opinion, Joachim, contrary to what one psoter wrote earlier on, speaks excellent English, probably due to having been married to a native speaker of English for so many years.

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex001 View Post
Princess Marie (Denmark) speaks English very well; obviously you can hear her French accent, but I find her much easier to understand than, for example, CP Frederik. In my opinion, Joachim, contrary to what one psoter wrote earlier on, speaks excellent English, probably due to having been married to a native speaker of English for so many years.
I must say I agree with you. I just watched the press interview Joachim and Marie did to announce their engagement on YouTube, and I almost found Joachim's English to be a bit British. I honestly haven't heard enough of Frederik speaking English to judge, but I'm sure he speaks English just as well. Not only is he married to a native English speaker, but I know he spent some time in U.S. studying at Harvard.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Moderator Emeritus

The Norwegian Royals

Princess Märtha Louise
NRK Nett-TV - hastighetsmåling

King Harald and Queen Sonja
BBC - Radio 4 - Today
(click at the link under the photo)

Old 03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

This is an older video (I would guess from the 80s) about the Spanish Royal Family, and you hear everyone, but Infanta Cristina, speak in English.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Well, that's good information-thanks! I am happy to hear that the Duc de Brabant does indeed speak Dutch, maybe it is the anti-monarchist Flemings who complain about his grasp of the language?

It was very wise indeed for Albert and Paola to ensure that their children spoke Dutch. Unfortunately I read in "A Throne For Brussels" by Paul Belien that when Paola first married Albert she absolutely refused to learn, saying that she found the language "ugly".

That was back in her wild, controversial days as Princess de Liege. She is a completely different woman now, and as Queen of the Belgians she undoubtedly wishes she had taken the time to learn the language!
Foreign (and especially French) accents are not very much appreciated in Flemish speaking Belgium, something to do with history. These days, Mathilde speaks excellent Dutch, even if she still has an accent. Philippe's Dutch is pretty good, but stiff. King Albert's Dutch is Flemishy, really cute. I know King Baudouin's Dutch was impeccable (or almost, anyway). Queen Fabiola reputedly speaks Dutch pretty good, but I cannot judge because I never heard her say more than two sentences.

As to Queen Paola... She reputedly once said "I will never understand that peasant's language", meaning Dutch. I suppose that would explain why she wasn't always that much appreciated... It's rocky, and actually quite unacceptable for the Queen of a country of which over half the population speaks the language. On the other hand, she also reputedly still takes Dutch language courses every summer. So that would be in her favour, she still is trying.

The "next gen" (Albert's grandchildren) all went to school in Dutch-speaking schools from kindergarten onwards, so they should be perfectly bilingual.

I believe Philippes English is not that bad. Totally French accent, but not that bad. Same for Mathilde.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
They only teach to translate sentences and poems with the help of the dictionary, but nobody can speak latin, not even the teachers can, and I am sure that not even the US teachers can!
Actually, I have never heard of anybody who can.
So, I am sure William studied Latin, but he doesn't speak Latin, of course.
They laugh at you if you say you can speak Latin!
Well, in our school they actually teach you to speak Latin. We read, write and speak Latin. We can't use dictionary - we have to know at least a thousand words by heart

I'm going through the first year of Latin. It's the most hated subject. In the first 6 months we were forced to learn all five declensions, all four conjugations, five tenses, passive and active forms, plus numerous proverbs - all by heart. I'm brainwashed I can only imagine how hard it is for native speakers of English, since English nouns decline only to distinguish singular from plural (not grammatical genders and grammatical cases, like in Latin and Bosnian).

But it's nice when you can read the inscription on a medieval coin and actually understand it!

So, I believe it is possible that Prince William of Wales speaks Latin.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Serene Highness

Mette-Marit...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Courtier

Princess Mette-Marit looks so friendly and outgoing in these videos. Thank you for posting them, Fortimo.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

YouTube - aids2031's Channel