The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Prince Haakon has a degree from Berkeley, and one from London School of Economics. One would presume that he's fluent in English. Actually both him and his sister had an English nanny when they were young, after having asked for it themselves, so that they could learn the language for speaking with guests.

King Harald and his sisters were in the same situation as Queen Beatrix and her sisters during the war, exile. Harald, Ragnhild and Astrid all went to American schools while they were there. Furthermore, King Harald studied at Oxford later in life.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Phillipe has a degree in Stanford University in the US so I guess he speaks english as well as the other

Old 01-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
BTW, I think its shameful that most royals from Europe
(and many outside of Europe, including Rania & Masako) can speak English so well whilst the British RF can only manage English.

It tells a lot about the failures of the BR education system and the British attitude towards the rest of the world.
As English is the international language this does not surprise me. However, HM Queen Elizabeth speaks French too and I think Charles speaks some too.

People forget that with English being so dominant in business and through US movies/TV that it is easy for non - English speakers who only have to learn one other language - English

whereas a native English speaker would have to learn dozens of languages to communicate effectively
Old 01-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I know that Danish Royals are fluent in English like Greeks (btw. how is they Spanish?). I watch them on Discovery's programme - it was European Royal Families or smth like that. There was few other royals - Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and prince and princess from Germany, Russia, Greece.

King Abdullah is fluent in English too. Few months ago there was a TV programme about Arabian History in 20th century.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks everyone for posting what you know of the English speaking Royals! If anyone else knows anything about the Royals who speak English, feel free to post!!!

Emily :)
Old 01-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Aristocracy

United Kingdom
HM the Queen - English and French
HRH the Duke of Edinburgh - English, French, and possibly some German
HRH the Prince of Wales - English and Welsh
HRH the Princess Royal - English and possibly French

Sweden
HM the King - Swedish and English
HM the Queen - Swedish, English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and I believe sign language, but I am not positive.

Norway
HM the King - Norwegian and English
HM the Queen - Norwegian and English

Denmark
HM the Queen - Danish, English, Swedish, German, and French
HRH Prince Henrik - French, Danish, English, Vietnamese, and Chinese
HRH Prince Frederik - Danish, English, French, and German
HRH Princess Mary - English and Danish

the Netherlands
HM the Queen - Dutch, German, French, English, and possibly Italian. It is said that she understands Spanish as well.

Belgium
HM the King - French, Dutch, German, and possibly English and Italian, although I do not know.
HM the Queen - Italian, French, German, English, and Spanish.
HM Queen Fabiola - Spanish, French, Dutch, German, English, and possibly Italian.

Luxembourg
HRH Grand Duke Jean - Luxembourgish, French, German, and English
HRH the Grand Duke - Luxembourgish, French, German, English and possibly Spanish
HRH the Grand Duchess - Spanish, Luxembourgish, French, and German

Spain
HM the King - Spanish, English, possibly French, and I read Catalan. He probably speaks some Portuguese and Italian as well.
HM the Queen - Greek, Spanish, English, French, and possibly German and Italian
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
BTW, I am British and I am not criticising the RF just for the sake of it. I genuinely feel that the GB are terrible at languages and considering globlisation etc this will prove to be a huge handicap and the RF esp the young ones are not setting high standards. We have just been lucky because of US dominance and hence been able to get away with just speaking one language.
Still, I think the British linguistic abilities are heads and shoulders above most Americans. I think the British and American failure to understand the need to be at least bi-lingual has much to do not only with a common history but also with relative geographic isolation. Continental Europeans have much more of a need to speak more than one language and their education starts early. Bravo for them.

When most people immigrated to the United States during the 19th & 20th centuries, they were forced to speak English (or at least their children were). I know that my grandparents isolated themselves in an Italian immigrant neighborhood and as a result my father and his siblings grew up in an Italian speaking world until they went to school (and it was a sink or swim situation) and then served as my grandparents' translators. My grandparents spoke limited English -- most of which they learned from their children, radio, and later television. My generation wasn't raised to be bi-lingual because there was a sense of shame that was attached to speaking Italian: it marked you as not "American." And all they wanted to be was "American." I feel like I missed out on something special -- a way of preserving my heritage. :(

Of course, I learned Italian in school by choice but I learned Florentinian Italian in high school & college (along with French, and a couple of semesters of German) which really doesn't resemble the Naples dialect my grandparents spoke. My grandmother used to tell me I spoke like a princess when I called her; she could understand me but often I couldn't understand her. Now it's chic to be a hypenated-American... How things change.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
The Swedish Royals are all fluent in English since they have all studied in England and/or the U.S. I believe that CP Victoria also speaks French.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, it seems like all the Spanish Royal Family are poliglots, and that's why I believe they have been excellent embassadors of their country around the world
Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Aristocracy

Most of the Jordanian Royal family speak both English and Arabic. I believe Princess Rym also speaks French

I even heard that when Abdullah became king, he was criticised because his Arabic wasn't very good, but I don't know for sure!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

"It tells a lot about the failures of the BR education system and the British attitude towards the rest of the world. "

Very true, but then we've always been more interested in making others adopt our way of thinking as opposed to theirs.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChicaMadrilena
Of course she does, she studied at Yale in US (I may be wrong).
Didn't Victoria study at Stanford or Berkley? it has to be one of those instead of Yale!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady1991
Still, I think the British linguistic abilities are heads and shoulders above most Americans. I think the British and American failure to understand the need to be at least bi-lingual has much to do not only with a common history but also with relative geographic isolation. Continental Europeans have much more of a need to speak more than one language and their education starts early. Bravo for them.

When most people immigrated to the United States during the 19th & 20th centuries, they were forced to speak English (or at least their children were). I know that my grandparents isolated themselves in an Italian immigrant neighborhood and as a result my father and his siblings grew up in an Italian speaking world until they went to school (and it was a sink or swim situation) and then served as my grandparents' translators. My grandparents spoke limited English -- most of which they learned from their children, radio, and later television. My generation wasn't raised to be bi-lingual because there was a sense of shame that was attached to speaking Italian: it marked you as not "American." And all they wanted to be was "American." I feel like I missed out on something special -- a way of preserving my heritage. :(

Of course, I learned Italian in school by choice but I learned Florentinian Italian in high school & college (along with French, and a couple of semesters of German) which really doesn't resemble the Naples dialect my grandparents spoke. My grandmother used to tell me I spoke like a princess when I called her; she could understand me but often I couldn't understand her. Now it's chic to be a hypenated-American... How things change.
Thank you for sharing this with me. :) I really appreciate learning about the history of immigration where people from around the world had settled down in an English speaking country.

It's a shame that you feel you have not done more to preserve your heritage, but don't give up, I am sure you have the solid grounding and time to perfect your Italian.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Aristocracy

I read that Princess Alexandra speaks English, Danish, German and French.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"I think Rania studied at the American University at Cairo and I think their teaching lanugage is English. :)"

She did but her accent is flawless.
one of my classmates at university was from Egypt and she attended the American university in Cairo before she moved to Canada, she had absolutely no accent either!
She said that a lot of their profs are American so that probably accounts for the lack of accent too.

King Abdullah and Queen Rania's kids also speak English along with Arabic. They have english speaking nannies and go to English schools.
Infact English is almost like a second first-language to the members of the Jordanian royal family which is not surprising since a lot of them have been educated in the UK and US.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Courtier

(In response to two previous posts of others) - Yes, Victoria went to Yale. It was during her battle with eating disorders and her family decided it was a good idea for her to get away for a while.

With regards to Crown Prince Philpe of Belgium's English - it's TERRIBLE. I heard him speaking at an engagement while he and CP Mathilde visited Stanford. I felt sorry for the man, but it was awful. He said a grand total of 5 words per minute because he was so focused on the English, but the speech was right there in front of him. It was what I'd call a "train wreck" if I ever saw one.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Aristocracy

I watched the Discovery programe on the Danish Family too. But to my ears Prince Frederik and his brother Joakim had poor english Their were words coming out of Fred's mouth I could not even make out:( . Prince Haakon was much much more fluent nicer voice too and Q M and even the older people spoke better.
Wittykitty
Old 01-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Aristocracy

I saw a video of Frederik & Mary's wedding and Frederik spoke the English portion of his speech very well. It was almost flawless, but there was a definite hint of an accent. Queen Margrethe also spoke English very well in the English portion of her speech. She has more of an British accent when she speaks English, and I can see because of a post I read above stating she attened boarding school in England.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

I believe that Prince William does know a little Spanish from when he was in South America during his "gap year". I think he was in Chile if I'm not mistaking. As for Queen Elizabeth she speaks fluent French especially when she visits Canada.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Liechtenstein: Princess Marie-Aglae - English (learn in London), French (learn in Paris), German. Probably the others speaks German, English maybe French.

Luxembourg: I don't know how the youngers but childrens of former GD Jean speaks - Luxembourgian, French, English and German.