Emotional Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bct88

Aristocracy
Country
United States
Since the sad news of the passing of H.R.H. Prince Bernhard and the upcoming funeral, I was wondering, have any royals (it does not matter what country) 'showed emotion' at a public event such as a funeral? I know that Queen Beatrix showed quite a lot of emotion at Prince Claus' funeral, and equally as much at Queen Juliana's funeral. When I say 'showed emotion', I mean crying in particular. It does not seem 'proper' for a member of a royal family to do such a thing, but sometimes it happens.

Earlier this year, the March 11 terrorist attacks drew much emotion from the Spanish royal family with all of the members sharing in the nation's grief. The most memorable comment (for me) was the King's simple statement following the attack: Your King grieves with you.

Most notably, Queen Sofia drew much ink in the press for how emotional she appeared in the days following the attack, and specifically at the memorial mass for the victims of the attack.

Pictures below from the memorial mass.

Attachments

• memorial mass-2.jpg
    memorial mass-2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 5,674
  • memorial mass-3.jpg
    memorial mass-3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 974
  • memorial mass-4.jpg
    memorial mass-4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,279
  • memorial mass-5.jpg
    memorial mass-5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 870
  • memorial mass-6.jpg
    memorial mass-6.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 839
  • memorial mass-1.jpg
    memorial mass-1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 7,266
Alexandria said:
Earlier this year, the March 11 terrorist attacks drew much emotion from the Spanish royal family with all of the members sharing in the nation's grief. The most memorable comment (for me) was the King's simple statement following the attack: Your King grieves with you.

Most notably, Queen Sofia drew much ink in the press for how emotional she appeared in the days following the attack, and specifically at the memorial mass for the victims of the attack.

Pictures below from the memorial mass.
Excellent example Alexandria! We sometimes forget that public figures are human also so why wouldn't it be "proper' to show emotion. Another time that comes to mind to me was Princess Grace's funeral. There one saw a family that was totally distraught.

The Spanish Royal Family should show as much distress at their government!

A member of this forum who claims to be royal told me there is a rule against royals showing emotion in public which was established by Queen Victoria of England...is that true?

I saw the pictures of Queen Elizabeth II cried when she attended the funeral of her sister,Princess Margaret.
And when she stood in her mother's place on Rememberance Day in 2002,she also cried.You can see that picture in a lot of site.

Here are some more royals showing emotions:
At the wedding of Laurent and Claire
49f43283.jpg

e2cb1437.jpg
2b417408.jpg

113e779a.jpg
521e9e56.jpg

And the loss of a wife and mother:
cf515ef9.jpg
e02a09bb.jpg
436be20a.jpg

Cont.
King Baudouin at the funeral of his father:
0d4959c2.jpg

At Baudouin's own funeral:
bea2f9f5.jpg

810c321e.jpg

Her Majesty at her mother's funeral.

Attachments

• a3.bmp
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,001
Her Majesty and The Duke at Queen Mother's funeral.

Attachments

• a2.bmp
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,276
hillary_nugent said:
A member of this forum who claims to be royal told me there is a rule against royals showing emotion in public which was established by Queen Victoria of England...is that true?
I don't know if that is true but Jaime Penafiel (ex-chief of the spanish royal family) said that the spanish royals should avoid showing feelings.

When I think of emotional royals then I think of Queen Beatrix. At Claus funeral she looked so sad and I thought she will collapse the next moment. I think the last years since 2001 were really difficult for her. Joy when her 3 sons married, joy when her 3 grandchildren were born and grief at the 3 deaths(Claus, Juliana,Bernhard) and that in 3 years.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Her Majesty and The Duke at Queen Mother's funeral.
Prince Charles. :)

First picture: Princess Margaret's funeral
The other two: Queen Mother's funeral. Here she's not in tears, but she's clearly very sad. :(

Attachments

• tears.jpg
    tears.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,764
  • Closed eyes.jpg
    Closed eyes.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,700
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,589
Crown Princess Victoria at the memorial for the murdered Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs, Anna Lindh, last September.

Queen Silvia looks sad in this picture too, but Crown Princess Victoria took Anna's death harder than anyone in the Royal Family. She felt real sadness and grief after her passing, and has expressed that what happened still feels unreal. Crown Princess Victoria was also the one in the Royal Family who had become the "closest" to Anna Lindh, as they travelled on official trips together, and they also spent time together during Victoria's educational programmes.

Attachments

• Lindh1.jpg
    Lindh1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 9,454
liv said:
When I think of emotional royals then I think of Queen Beatrix. At Claus funeral she looked so sad and I thought she will collapse the next moment. I think the last years since 2001 were really difficult for her. Joy when her 3 sons married, joy when her 3 grandchildren were born and grief at the 3 deaths(Claus, Juliana,Bernhard) and that in 3 years.
Claus funeral was so sad, it was terrible to see it on television. I thought also one moment that she would collapse:(
Here are some pictures of the funeral.

Attachments

• 1138181.jpg
    1138181.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,797
  • 1138511.jpg
    1138511.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,369
  • 1138425.jpg
    1138425.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 1138288.jpg
    1138288.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,616
  • 1138195.jpg
    1138195.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,399
1. grieving Maxima
2. grieving Maurits, Marilene, and Pieter-Christiaan

the removal of Prince Bernhard's body from Soestdijk to Noordeinde

Attachments

• 2086270.jpg
    2086270.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,833
  • 2086276.jpg
    2086276.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,120
The last photos-of the Dutch Royal Family-are unbelievably touching. So sad when a death occurs, but I couldn't imagine having to live my grief out in public. It makes the entire clan seem that much more human!

Claus' funeral:
Poor Friso looks ready to collapse.....

Bernhard's removal:
I am crying looking at those pictures. That is so sad.

-Kara-

The picture with Maurits and Pieter-Christian crying while waving goodbye was so hard to look at. It's not very often that people realize that royal families are just as human as the rest of us when suffering a huge loss.

Also a picture of today, a sad Queen Beatrix.

Attachments

• AP651758_guest.jpg
    AP651758_guest.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 944
I think the DUtch RF are a bit too emotional esp. Maxima. WAy too much emotion

The most emotion I have ever seen shown by a royal family was at Princess Grace's funeral. It was televised here in the US and you could clearly see how devastated the entire family was. I thought Prince Rainier was going to collapse while following behind her coffin :(

what about Princess Diana's funeral? who emotional? Prince William or Prince Harry whatsoever.

Sara Boyce

Well that was not shown, but their emotion is absolutely understandable. Poor boys...:(

Reina said:
I think the DUtch RF are a bit too emotional esp. Maxima. WAy too much emotion
I don't think it's fair to call people in mourning too emotional. If they weren't royal, they would be able to mourn in private like everyone else. I find it sad that they are forced to live out their grief in the public eye in such a way.

from funeral of king Hussain of Jordan.

Attachments

• funeral 4.jpg
    funeral 4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2,676
  • funeral 2.jpg
    funeral 2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,782
King Juan Carlos of Spain and Prince Muhammad crying at the funeral of King Hassan of Morocco (July 1999)

Attachments

• Juan Carlos & Muhammad.jpg
    Juan Carlos & Muhammad.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 820
Moroccan Princesses Meryem, Asma, and Hasna in 2002
I dont know what the event is...it must have something to do with their father.

Attachments

• 727831_07 copy.jpg
    727831_07 copy.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 748
Who is the woman next to Maxima? Maxima is holding her by the waist? Is she Prince Bernhard's other daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom