The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
The British Royals did not show much emotion at Diana's funeral but I think they upset some members the British public when they openly had tears in their eyes at the decommisioning of the Royal Yacht Britannia!!!!!!!
Nobody saw them at Balmoral, by the time of the funeral, they had probably cried themselves out in private and had rightly managed to get their emotions in check.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Hi

And the last in the queue!!!! The British !!!!!!!! Sorry, I know that I may hurt some of you, but I can not avoid to express my feeling.
Thats what the British are known for throughout the world - their stiff upper lip. The best way to deal with any situation IMO.:)

Old 01-25-2006, 01:05 PM

they do show emotion

Since we're on the subject of emotions at royal funerals, let's take a look at one in particula, His Future Majesty, Prince Charles of Wales. It was said that when recieving the body of Diana, he asked to be alone. When he reappeared in front of the guards, they could tell he was visibly shaked. His eyes were red, watery, and puffy. When his aunt Princess Margaret died, he mentioned, in a rather emotional manner, that she could sing like an angel. And at the death of the Queen Mother, he was on the verge of openly crying during a tribute he made on BBC. When we think of England, we often think of pagentry and large fanfare, which is true. However, we must understand that they are indeed human. And I'm sure that it was difficult for H.M. the Queen to hold her emotions. She was part of what her father called them, "we four" In 1953, not only does she loses her father, but is thrown into being the soverign of Great Britain. Then, on the anniversary of her father's death, her sister, Princess Margaret dies, then a few months later, the Queen Mother, who some thought was to be almost immortal, dies. After a while, no matter how strong you are, you crack. As far as the "Iron Duke" is concerned, as QE II described, she maybe queen of England, but he's the King of the castle. Prince Phillip is often seen as a bitter old man who make public gaffes, but he is the center of Elizabeth's life, and I believe that if Phillip can hold his ground, then show can she.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
I saw the pictures of Queen Elizabeth II cried when she attended the funeral of her sister,Princess Margaret.
And when she stood in her mother's place on Rememberance Day in 2002,she also cried.You can see that picture in a lot of site.
Are you sure about that? I believe it's fairly common knowldege that the only time the Queen has displayed tears in public was at the de-commissioning of HMY Brittania.....
Old 01-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
Are you sure about that? I believe it's fairly common knowldege that the only time the Queen has displayed tears in public was at the de-commissioning of HMY Brittania.....
true, elizabeth not cry in margaaret and queen mother's funerals,......I think.:)
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
true, elizabeth not cry in margaaret and queen mother's funerals,......I think.:)

Or maybe she have cried at home earlier...
Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Royal Highness

I saw a picture of her in the rolls after Queen Mother's funeral, looking teary eyed.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Or maybe she have cried at home earlier...
yeah, you're right, but I don't remenber see elizabeth crying in public, i think this happend only one time, in another post is the event.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-25-2006, 09:10 PM

The Queen cried at a Remembrance Day service in November 2002 when she took her mother's place for the first time. She cried at the de-commissioning of Britannia and also when a long-serving military chap marched past her for the last time before retiring.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen has cried in public many times before. At a 9/11 memorial service in london, her mothers funeral, the decomissioning of her boat and on other occasions. She is usually very stoic but her human side does come out through her royal facade sometimes.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
The Queen has cried in public many times before. At a 9/11 memorial service in london, her mothers funeral, the decomissioning of her boat and on other occasions. She is usually very stoic but her human side does come out through her royal facade sometimes.
Princess Margarets funeral, the Queen Mum's funeral, Brittania's decommisioning, 9/11 service, Remembrance Day service and probably many more. The cameras arn't always allowed into funerals or services.
The main thing about Queen Elizabeth and the rest of the royals, is that they are well practised at being discreet about thier emotions. Just because they are not seen in floods of tears, doesn't mean they don't care.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:46 AM

I thought it was remarkable when Princess Anne and the Countess of Wessex did a walk-about along the line of those who queued to pay their respects to the Queen Mother. Princess Anne was obviously upset but she laughed with the crowds and generally made everyone feel that it was going to be alright. When I think of how Britain reacted to the Queen Mother's death, it makes me feel quite proud. We didn't go into hysterics but we realised we'd lost one of the most important figures of our time. It sounds silly to say, but even now I miss seeing the Queen Mother with her trademark hats and wave.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

"I don't think it's at all dignified. Some people love to be wrapped up in grief and they wail and they shriek and generally make an exhibition of themselves which is absolutely cringe-making to watch"

I find it cringe worthy when people stand there suppressing their emotions when you can see that they just need to let it out.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think its silly to judge people's character on whether or not they show emotions in public. The tendency to show emotions is wired into people, you don't choose to be emotional or nonemotional in public, you either are or you're not.

People who don't show emotions in public are not necessarily holding them in. Showing emotions in public has nothing to do with whether you actually feel them.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
I find it cringe worthy when people stand there suppressing their emotions when you can see that they just need to let it out.
I, like many people do not feel any need to let my emotions show for the voyeuristic among those watching.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I am simply not capable to show my feelings in public. I don't know why, but the idea that someone can see my tears in unacceptable for me. The only time I cried in public was when I learnt about the death of my best friends' Dad. We were at school when our teacher told us about it. And I just couldn't get a grip of myself and cried. My tears schoked my classmates almost as much as the news itself.
My golden rule is: 'Whatever heart is feeling, face must be smiling'.
Though I don't think it's right, to conceal your feelings all the time. I always advise my friends not to but I can't change myself.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Royal Highness

Here is one of Mette-Marit in her wedding:

And here is one of Queen Sonja (she doesn't seem to be crying but in the legend it was "Queen crying")

(source:cover)
Old 05-23-2006, 02:37 AM
Royal Highness

Swedish Royals - all pictures are related to the tsunami disaster in South East Asia.

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia (From Scanpix): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1104448614

Princess Madeleine (From Fotomarktplatz): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&d=1104753497

The Swedish Royal Family (From Reuters): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1104900322

Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine (From Getty Images): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1105218241

Crown Princess Victoria (From Abaca Press): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2&d=1105236099

Very sad....:(
Old 05-23-2006, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

For picture of the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands, visit
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...claus-353.html
just some of the most touching pictures (imo).

Credit – mybags
Mandatory Credit: Photo By FRANK ROLLITZ/REX FEATURES
Queen Beatrix, Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander, Crown Princess Maxima - http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6145&d=1053124372

credit purple_platinum
Pictures from ANP
Queen Beatrix, Prince Johan Friso, Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander, Crown Princess Maxima - http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc18&image=92955_1021796.jpg

credit purple_platinum
Pictures from ANP
Queen Beatrix, Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander, Crown Princess Maxima - http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc93&image=92945_598680.jpg

credit purple_platinum
Pictures from ANP
Prince Constantijn, Princess Laurentien and Prince Johan Friso - http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?...20_1021797.jpg

credit – Princess Beatrix
source: N24online
Queen Beatrix - http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4479/30505535nm.jpg
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:39 AM
Nobility

why would the british royals cry over a boat?

Tags
emotional royals