Emotional Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott said:
The British Royals did not show much emotion at Diana's funeral but I think they upset some members the British public when they openly had tears in their eyes at the decommisioning of the Royal Yacht Britannia!!!!!!!

Nobody saw them at Balmoral, by the time of the funeral, they had probably cried themselves out in private and had rightly managed to get their emotions in check.

fandesacs2003 said:
Hi

And the last in the queue!!!! The British !!!!!!!! Sorry, I know that I may hurt some of you, but I can not avoid to express my feeling.

Thats what the British are known for throughout the world - their stiff upper lip. The best way to deal with any situation IMO.:)

they do show emotion

Since we're on the subject of emotions at royal funerals, let's take a look at one in particula, His Future Majesty, Prince Charles of Wales. It was said that when recieving the body of Diana, he asked to be alone. When he reappeared in front of the guards, they could tell he was visibly shaked. His eyes were red, watery, and puffy. When his aunt Princess Margaret died, he mentioned, in a rather emotional manner, that she could sing like an angel. And at the death of the Queen Mother, he was on the verge of openly crying during a tribute he made on BBC. When we think of England, we often think of pagentry and large fanfare, which is true. However, we must understand that they are indeed human. And I'm sure that it was difficult for H.M. the Queen to hold her emotions. She was part of what her father called them, "we four" In 1953, not only does she loses her father, but is thrown into being the soverign of Great Britain. Then, on the anniversary of her father's death, her sister, Princess Margaret dies, then a few months later, the Queen Mother, who some thought was to be almost immortal, dies. After a while, no matter how strong you are, you crack. As far as the "Iron Duke" is concerned, as QE II described, she maybe queen of England, but he's the King of the castle. Prince Phillip is often seen as a bitter old man who make public gaffes, but he is the center of Elizabeth's life, and I believe that if Phillip can hold his ground, then show can she.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I saw the pictures of Queen Elizabeth II cried when she attended the funeral of her sister,Princess Margaret.
And when she stood in her mother's place on Rememberance Day in 2002,she also cried.You can see that picture in a lot of site.

Are you sure about that? I believe it's fairly common knowldege that the only time the Queen has displayed tears in public was at the de-commissioning of HMY Brittania.....

btsnyder said:
Are you sure about that? I believe it's fairly common knowldege that the only time the Queen has displayed tears in public was at the de-commissioning of HMY Brittania.....

true, elizabeth not cry in margaaret and queen mother's funerals,......I think.:)

corazon said:
true, elizabeth not cry in margaaret and queen mother's funerals,......I think.:)

Or maybe she have cried at home earlier...

I saw a picture of her in the rolls after Queen Mother's funeral, looking teary eyed.

magnik said:
Or maybe she have cried at home earlier...

yeah, you're right, but I don't remenber see elizabeth crying in public, i think this happend only one time, in another post is the event.;)

The Queen cried at a Remembrance Day service in November 2002 when she took her mother's place for the first time. She cried at the de-commissioning of Britannia and also when a long-serving military chap marched past her for the last time before retiring.

The Queen has cried in public many times before. At a 9/11 memorial service in london, her mothers funeral, the decomissioning of her boat and on other occasions. She is usually very stoic but her human side does come out through her royal facade sometimes.

Princejohnny25 said:
The Queen has cried in public many times before. At a 9/11 memorial service in london, her mothers funeral, the decomissioning of her boat and on other occasions. She is usually very stoic but her human side does come out through her royal facade sometimes.

Princess Margarets funeral, the Queen Mum's funeral, Brittania's decommisioning, 9/11 service, Remembrance Day service and probably many more. The cameras arn't always allowed into funerals or services.
The main thing about Queen Elizabeth and the rest of the royals, is that they are well practised at being discreet about thier emotions. Just because they are not seen in floods of tears, doesn't mean they don't care.

I thought it was remarkable when Princess Anne and the Countess of Wessex did a walk-about along the line of those who queued to pay their respects to the Queen Mother. Princess Anne was obviously upset but she laughed with the crowds and generally made everyone feel that it was going to be alright. When I think of how Britain reacted to the Queen Mother's death, it makes me feel quite proud. We didn't go into hysterics but we realised we'd lost one of the most important figures of our time. It sounds silly to say, but even now I miss seeing the Queen Mother with her trademark hats and wave.

"I don't think it's at all dignified. Some people love to be wrapped up in grief and they wail and they shriek and generally make an exhibition of themselves which is absolutely cringe-making to watch"

I find it cringe worthy when people stand there suppressing their emotions when you can see that they just need to let it out.

I think its silly to judge people's character on whether or not they show emotions in public. The tendency to show emotions is wired into people, you don't choose to be emotional or nonemotional in public, you either are or you're not.

People who don't show emotions in public are not necessarily holding them in. Showing emotions in public has nothing to do with whether you actually feel them.

Little_star said:
I find it cringe worthy when people stand there suppressing their emotions when you can see that they just need to let it out.

I, like many people do not feel any need to let my emotions show for the voyeuristic among those watching.

I am simply not capable to show my feelings in public. I don't know why, but the idea that someone can see my tears in unacceptable for me. The only time I cried in public was when I learnt about the death of my best friends' Dad. We were at school when our teacher told us about it. And I just couldn't get a grip of myself and cried. My tears schoked my classmates almost as much as the news itself.
My golden rule is: 'Whatever heart is feeling, face must be smiling'.
Though I don't think it's right, to conceal your feelings all the time. I always advise my friends not to but I can't change myself.

Here is one of Mette-Marit in her wedding:

And here is one of Queen Sonja (she doesn't seem to be crying but in the legend it was "Queen crying")

(source:cover)

Swedish Royals - all pictures are related to the tsunami disaster in South East Asia.

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia (From Scanpix): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73175&d=1104448614

Princess Madeleine (From Fotomarktplatz): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74647&d=1104753497

The Swedish Royal Family (From Reuters): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75533&d=1104900322

Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine (From Getty Images): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77178&d=1105218241

Crown Princess Victoria (From Abaca Press): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77352&d=1105236099

Very sad....:(

For picture of the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands, visit
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f17/funeral-prince-claus-353.html
just some of the most touching pictures (imo).

Credit – mybags
Mandatory Credit: Photo By FRANK ROLLITZ/REX FEATURES
Queen Beatrix, Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander, Crown Princess Maxima - http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6145&d=1053124372

credit purple_platinum
Pictures from ANP
Queen Beatrix, Prince Johan Friso, Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander, Crown Princess Maxima - http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc18&image=92955_1021796.jpg

credit purple_platinum
Pictures from ANP
Queen Beatrix, Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander, Crown Princess Maxima - http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc93&image=92945_598680.jpg

credit purple_platinum
Pictures from ANP
Prince Constantijn, Princess Laurentien and Prince Johan Friso - http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc33&image=93020_1021797.jpg

credit – Princess Beatrix
source: N24online
Queen Beatrix - http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4479/30505535nm.jpg

Well when you think about it, it's sort of like a home to them. lots of memories attached to it, as they took many holidays there are a lot of the royal family had their honeymoons on that yacht.

Thanks for those pictures, hornsen. I remember seeing them at the time and thinking they were very sweet.

Princess Alexia s'crying very hard!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For the 1st anniversary of the death of the Prince Rainier III of Monaco

the Princess Caroline cried.... :(

Images from Corbis, Sipa and Provimedia.cz

1124gop.jpg

1124h94.jpg

1124kd0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
(Source: Nettavisen, Originally posted by: Mandy)
Haakon, Mette-Marit, and Martha Louise at an anti-racisim rally after a racist killing of a teen

Queen Sonja crying

Se og Hör

Last edited:
Anyone has the photo of Infanta Elena crying when Felipe carried the Spanish flag on the Olympics? :flowers:
I've read the story yet never seen a picture :)

Queen Beatrix never cries!

I need to fight the idea which has settled in this thread as if Queen Beatrix was so overly emotional etc.

I have never seen Queen Beatrix crying.
Never.
Yes, her face is an open book.
Her laughter brings sunshine.
Her anger makes you almost turn into stone.
And her grief is touching you direct in the heart.

We have seen it when a Boeing 747 from El Al crashed into an Amsterdam neighbourhood. We have seen it when a fire at New Year killed and terribly wounded many youngsters in a pub in Volendam. We have seen it when a fireworks factory exploded in a city in the east of the Netherlands. We have seen her griefstricken face, totally lost, when she left the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam in the backseat of her limousine, leaving her just died husband. Hand in hand with her sister in law Christina Baroness Von der Recke-Von Amsberg (youngest sister of Prince Claus). Never I have seen her so broken. But I repeat: I have never seen the Queen crying in public.

Princess Máxima cried on her wedding day, which was like an emotional roller-coaster for her (without her parents). And she sniffed away one tear or two during the funeral of Prince Claus. Prince Willem-Alexander had to fight his emotions when pallbearers solemnly brought his deeply beloved father home, to lay in state at Noordeinde Palace. The whole deeply impressive, totally silent ceremony made a deep impression.

For the rest the only 'outburst' we have seen, and it was not really 'public' as they were standing on the steps of their grandfather's residence (Soestdijk Palace) was when the car with the last resident of the palace slowly drove away, alongside the cooks, the gardeners, the footmen, the maids, the floristers, the chauffeurs, the guards, etc. (who were standing outside to say farewell to their boss who for the last time left his residence for 68 years). All the proceedeings went in total silence.

The 'outburst' came when suddenly horns and bugles from the royal forestry broke the silence and played the signal 'End of the Hunt' .
Their sad, sombre tones did suddenly hit all attendants and a deep emotion overcame everyone. That was the picture on which you saw all royals fighting their emotions, when they saw grandpa Prince Bernhard leaving through the gate of the palace park for the very last time.

And: that was it. The idea has settled in this thread as if the Dutch royal family is crying all the way along. And that is not true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom