The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Serene Highness

cultural difference nordic/non-nordic countries??

Hi everyone,

Not sure if it's a good idea for a thread (if it's not please delete it) but I have a question I would like to propose to you, see if somebody can explain it to me.
To what can we attribute the difference in celebrations between nordic and non-nordic countries? For example birthdays and wedding celebrations which in countries like Norway, Sweden and Denmark (among others) are celebrated with huge parties, while countries such as Netherlands, SPain and Belgium celebrate these special occasions in private. It really fascinates me coming from Spain where everything is a private party to see that other countries organise parties in beautiful gowns and jewlery turning everything into a farytale for a little while. Any ideas??

Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Gentry

Do you mean what we could learn from others and maybe "improve"?? Cause I think that could be an interesting discussion...

Old 06-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I think it probably has to do with the families themselves- the Spanish and Dutch royals are much more private with stricter privacy laws. And the most private of all, with the strictest laws are the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg.

The Danish and Norwegian families are a little less private, so maybe that's their reasoning.

Also, the Norwegian and Swedish royals have had some milestone birthdays this past year- King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th, King Harold V's 70th, Queen Sonja's 70th, Crown Princess Victoria's 30th- which call for larger celebrations.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

I think this thread is a great idea, I am from America and totally fascinated by everything that is different from my culture.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
I think it probably has to do with the families themselves- the Spanish and Dutch royals are much more private with stricter privacy laws. And the most private of all, with the strictest laws are the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg.

The Danish and Norwegian families are a little less private, so maybe that's their reasoning.

Also, the Norwegian and Swedish royals have had some milestone birthdays this past year- King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th, King Harold V's 70th, Queen Sonja's 70th, Crown Princess Victoria's 30th- which call for larger celebrations.
It is only the round birthdays that are celebrated in a big manner in Norway. Märtha's 30th, Harald and Sonja's 60th and 70th, and so on. The same with wedding anniversaries. It was the silver anniversary that prompted a big cruise, not the 24th. Other celebrations are kept private.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
It is only the round birthdays that are celebrated in a big manner in Norway. Märtha's 30th, Harald and Sonja's 60th and 70th, and so on. The same with wedding anniversaries. It was the silver anniversary that prompted a big cruise, not the 24th. Other celebrations are kept private.
Yes but that's quite special in my eyes as well. For a family to celebrate these special anniversiry dates in public with the people, thats great! I remember when King Juan Carlos celebrated having been King for 30 years. I believe it was nothing more than receiving all governments and institutions (national) and a dinner afterwards, but no other countries were even invited, while this was a big event. I like that other countries do these things differently. I would have loved a big itnernational party to celebrate it, it has something magical to it.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Majesty

Grand celebrations in recent years would be, have i forgotten anything?
how about Denmark and Norway
I think there are threads with great photos at the Swedish forum

Victoria celebrates her 30th birthday, it will be at Stockholm and Öland It's usually just öland,
no other royal guests

Madeleine official birthday at Stockholm Castle as she turned 25

The king turned 60, royal guests from different countries, one Gala i think and a few days of other swedish celebrations for him (other know better what kind of events)

Carl Philip official birthday at Stockholm Castle as he turned 25

The Queen turned 60, i think some official events at the castel and a theater event then it was a privite mather

The king celebrated 30 years as king a lund and consert no royal guests from other countries

Victoria turned 25 and had events at the royal castle and öland, at öland there were several young royal guests

Silver wedding for the king and Queen, several Royal Guests from other countries

Madeleine turned 18, official event at the royal castle

The King celebrated 25 years as king one or 2 galas with royal guts from other countries

Carl Philip turned 18, official event at the royal castle

The king turned 50, royal guests from different countries, 2 Gala i think and a few days of other Swedish celebrations for him (other know better what kind of events)

Victoria turned 18, the royal guests from a other Country were Queen Ingrid of Denmark
Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Courtier

I would say that a lot of it has to do with "personal choice" like any other anniversary or birthday.
In the case of the Royal Families, I would still think it is a personal choice whether to have a private party with just immediate family or a big party with other RF's invited as well as press/media.
I know personally, with in my family, we celebrate birthdays with "everyone" (ie: family, friends,e ct.) at 16, 21, 25, 30, 40, 50, ect.
For anniversaries, we do 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, ect.
For all other birthdays/anniversaries, they are still celebrated, but in a much smaller, private way.

So I would assume that "special" birthdays & anniversaries are celebrated the same way with RF's. Some are private, some are shared with everyone. I would think that even with the more private RF's, they would still share "some" special anniversaries/birthdays because they know that the public will want to know and share in it also.
But then again, this is just my personal opinion.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Majesty

Sweden; Victoria celebrates her 30th birthday, it will be at Stockholm and Öland It's usually just öland,
Norway; 70th birthday of Queen Sonja a boat crouise, several foreign royal guests
Danmark, Christining of Isabella, several foreign royal guests
Sweden; Madeleine official birthday events at Stockholm Castle as she turned 25
Norway; 70th birthday of King Harald, some events and a gala, several foreign royal guests

Sweden; The king turned 60, several foreign royal guests, one Gala i think and a few days of other swedish celebrations for him (other know better what kind of events)
Norway, Christining of Sverre Magnus, a few foreign royal guests
Danmark, Christining of Christian, several foreign royal guests
Thiland; the king celebrated ? several foreign royal guests

Monaco; Celebrating the New Prince, Albert ll, several foreign young royal
Sweden; Carl Philip official birthday events at Stockholm Castle as she turned 25

Denmar, Prince Henriks 70th birthday, several foreign royal guests
The Netherlands; Christining of Chatarina-Amalia, a few foreign royal guests
Norway, Christining of Ingrid Alexandra, a few foreign royal guests

Sweden; The Queen turned 60, i think some official events at the castel and a theater event then it was a privite mather
Sweden; The king celebrated 30 years as king a lund and consert no royal guests from other countries

Sweden; Victoria turned 25 and had events at the royal castle and öland, at öland there were several foreign young royal guests
Great Britten; Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee several foreign royal guests

Sweden; Silver wedding for the king and Queen, several foreign royal guests
Luxembourg; celebrating the new gra duke and grand duchess several foreign young royal

Sweden; Madeleine turned 18, official event at the royal castle
Denmark; Queen Margrethe celebrates her 60th birthay, galas and other events, several foreign royal guests

Sweden; The King celebrated 25 years as king one or 2 galas with several foreign royal guests

Sweden; Carl Philip turned 18, official event at the royal castle
Denmark; The Queen celebrated 25 years as queen, 1 gala with several foreign royal guests
Norway; the king and Queen celebrated togather thier 60th birthday several foreign royal guests

Sweden; The king turned 50, several foreign royal guests, 2 Gala i think and a few days of other Swedish celebrations for him (other know better what kind of events)

Sweden; Victoria turned 18, the royal guest from a other Country were Queen Ingrid of Denmark
Old 07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Majesty

evenst that i need help to put in the time list of celebrations

q elisabeth had aa celebration where got to see that great group photo of king and queens of europe
in belgium there was a events with the younger royals a few years back what year was that and why
what year did märtha louise had her big birthday party
what other years did margrathe and henrik celebrates with big birthday parties and did they have a celebration when they had been mariied for 25 years?
thiland had a grand celebration was that 2006?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Courtier

By now everyone has noticed that Britain's Young Royals, William,Harry,Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara never attend anything outside of England...I think this is a shame as they don't know their counterparts and that could be very important in the future. I don't know if they are Not invited or they just can't be bothered.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Don't you think that if they were invited that they would go? I do. It raises the question to me of whether European royalty has any close ties to the UK's and vice versa. I've always thought that Norway's royal family and the Windsors were good friends.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Majesty

Norway; 70th birthday of Queen Sonja a boat crouise, several foreign royal guests
Danmark, Christining of Isabella, several foreign royal guests
Norway; 70th birthday of King Harald, some events and a gala, several foreign royal guests

Sweden; The king turned 60, several foreign royal guests, one Gala i think and a few days of other swedish celebrations for him (other know better what kind of events)
Norway, Christining of Sverre Magnus, a few foreign royal guests
Danmark, Christining of Christian, several foreign royal guests
Thiland; the king celebrated ? several foreign royal guests

Monaco; Celebrating the New Prince, Albert ll, several foreign young royal

Denmar, Prince Henriks 70th birthday, several foreign royal guests
The Netherlands; Christining of Chatarina-Amalia, a few foreign royal guests
Norway, Christining of Ingrid Alexandra, a few foreign royal guests

Sweden; Victoria turned 25 and had events at the royal castle and öland, at öland there were several foreign young royal guests
Great Britten; Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee several foreign royal guests

Sweden; Silver wedding for the king and Queen, several foreign royal guests
Luxembourg; celebrating the new grand duke and grand duchess several foreign young royal

Denmark; Queen Margrethe celebrates her 60th birthay, galas and other events, several foreign royal guests

Sweden; The King celebrated 25 years as king one or 2 galas with several foreign royal guests

Denmark; The Queen celebrated 25 years as queen, 1 gala with several foreign royal guests
Norway; the king and Queen celebrated togather thier 60th birthday several foreign royal guests

Sweden; The king turned 50, several foreign royal guests, 2 Gala i think and a few days of other Swedish celebrations for him (other know better what kind of events)

Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Don't you think that if they were invited that they would go? I do. It raises the question to me of whether European royalty has any close ties to the UK's and vice versa. I've always thought that Norway's royal family and the Windsors were good friends.
I believe they are also related and (were) close to both Spain and Greek Royals, but again the younger Royals are a "no-show". They (English younger Royals) never attend birthdays, weddings, christening, etc. Those "social" skills will last them a lifetime.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:46 PM

How many other current soverns grandchildern attend foreign royal events for other countries? Also Peter and Zara are not royal, they just happen to be the childern of a princess and grandchildern of a Queen. The current generational equavalent of the younger British royals are all under the age 10