Royalty & How They Feel About Their Roles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freedom

Nobility
City
Miami
Country
United States
Which royals do you feel like that they are royal and which do you feel do not like that they are royal?

Hm... Queen Margrethe II & Queen Elisabeth II= very Royal
Princess Stephanie= not so Royal ;)

sofia of spain, margarethe of denmark, charles of britain and camilla, felipe of spain, grand duke henri of luxembourg, liechtenstein royals, victoria of sweden, maxima of the netherlands, alexandra of denmark, elena of spain: very royal... ;)
mette marit of norway, mary donaldson: not so royal

in the middle: letizia, andrea...

Last edited:
Originally posted by Lena@Jun 19th, 2004 - 9:15 am
Princess Stephanie= not so Royal ;)
Not so royal? I would say not royal at all! :lol: She absolutely hates that since she was a little girl. When she was little she had frequent nightmares that she was being kidnapped :cry: . Poor little cutie...

Princess Michael of Kent--Thinks she is above everyone, including the Queen!! :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :lol: She is the woman who loves to be a Royal and makes sure she gets her curtsies!!! :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 19th, 2004 - 12:47 pm
Princess Michael of Kent--Thinks she is above everyone, including the Queen!! :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :lol: She is the woman who loves to be a Royal and makes sure she gets her curtsies!!! :lol: :lol:
Queen Elizabeth II once said that Princess Michael of Kent is quote: "far too grand for my family." The relationship between the Queen and Princess Michael of Kent is very cool...but the Queen is very fond of Prince Michael of Kent.

As for like her role, for Queen Elizabeth II I don't think it's a matter of like or dislike it's a matter of duty. Not to say she dislikes her job, but she has always felt that since the abdication of King Edward VIII and the premature death of her father that is was her duty nothing more nothing less. It's hard to forget now that the Queen wasn't even born to be Queen.

Originally posted by timtonruben359+Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:18 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (timtonruben359 @ Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:18 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tiaraprin@Jun 19th, 2004 - 12:47 pm
Princess Michael of Kent--Thinks she is above everyone, including the Queen!! :lol:  :lol:  :p  :lol:  :lol: She is the woman who loves to be a Royal and makes sure she gets her curtsies!!!  :lol:  :lol:
Queen Elizabeth II once said that Princess Michael of Kent is quote: "far too grand for my family." The relationship between the Queen and Princess Michael of Kent is very cool...but the Queen is very fond of Prince Michael of Kent.

[/b][/quote]
I was reading the Fall of the House of Windsor, and they have a whole chapter devoted to Princess Michael.

She has also been named "Our Val" as in Valkyrie by the British Royals.

She also made the Queen and the late Queen Mum quite angry by trying to befriend the Duchess of Windsor (which most think was a ploy to get jewels).

Once in the Queen's presence, Princess Michael wore a pair of earrings that belonged to the Duchess of Windsor and the Queen recognized them. She told Princess Michael to never wear them in her presence again.

Awhile back, certain royals were asked what they would give their worst enemy as a gift. Viscount Linley replied "Dinner with Princess Michael". :lol: Princess Michael's response was "eating dinner on a table that Viscount Linley designed". I think the winner of this insult match is Viscount Linley by a landslide!!! :lol: :lol:

If it was a ploy to get jewels then it worked because Marie-Christine did inherit some of Wallis' jewels.

Marie-Christine likes very much being a Princess she just doesn't like to pay the "rent" for her privledge by doing her duties (she calls it kissing babies).

Caroline is always complaining about her life as a princess
William and Harry don't seem to enjoy their life as royals.
Masko of Japan - and who could blame her!!!!

Princess Michael is so incredibly full of herself...She all but wears a sign that says "Gold-Digging B**ch." As for the jewels she received from D of W, it's rather fitting, isn't it?

People like she are textbook cases of insecure-narcissists. She latches onto an 'aura of being' since she has nothing really to offer personality-wise. Which is sad, there has to be some redeeming quality about her, then again, maybe not!

Like the saying goes: "your purpose in life might be to serve as a warning to others!"

trey033

carlota said:
sofia of spain, margarethe of denmark, charles of britain, felipe of spain, grand duke henri of luxembourg, victoria of sweden, alexandra of denmark, elena of spain: very royal... ;)
cristina of spain : very royal too ;)

carlota said:
mette marit of norway, : not so royal :unsure:
I think she's ok, at least she has improved...

This is a hard question...there are people born into it - do they accept their duty (Queen Elizabeth) or fight it (Princess Stephanie).

Then those who married into it...they obviously are nort(for the most part) royal by birth, but I think many of them have become quite assured in their roles. I think Mette-Marit has done a fantastic job, Mathilde. I think it is too soon to tell with CP Mary and CP Letizia. I think Fergie is someone who married into the royal family but didn't really ever become "royal".

Very royal: Queen Beatrix from the Netherlands...
Totally not a royal: princess Stephanie!! Such a man-crazy woman...!

trey033 said:
Princess Michael is so incredibly full of herself...She all but wears a sign that says "Gold-Digging B**ch." As for the jewels she received from D of W, it's rather fitting, isn't it?

People like she are textbook cases of insecure-narcissists. She latches onto an 'aura of being' since she has nothing really to offer personality-wise. Which is sad, there has to be some redeeming quality about her, then again, maybe not!

Like the saying goes: "your purpose in life might be to serve as a warning to others!"

trey033
so has she served as a warning to her children? are they anything like her, I mean?

Princess Michael also made the racist remark some months back about "going back to the colonies." I would say she thinks she is more royal than royal. She sort of reminds me of Marie Chantal of Greece, who acts more royal than royal born princesses do.

Very royal: Sofia of Greece/Spain
Very unroyal: Stephanie of Monaco and Ernst August of Hannover (in a bad way)
Cristina of Spain and Alexia of Greece (in a good way because they are unpretentious)

Of those who have married into royal families:
Very royal: Mathilde of Belgium (though she is noble born)/Alexandra of Denmark
Very unroyal: Princess Michael of Kent/Princess Marie Chantal of Greece/Clotilde of Savoy

the princes and princess of Luxembourg- very royal although they also want to have a normal life... i think princess alex of luxembourg is the most royal little girl.. she will be so pretty when shes older because she radiates such natural innocence

princess made racist remarks.....about going back to the colonies? whats wrong with saying that. in canda we are called yankees?

Genevieve said:
Cristina of Spain and Alexia of Greece (in a good way because they are unpretentious)
What do you mean? Do you think they are "good" royals? I think so!

Genevieve said:
Of those who have married into royal families:
Very royal: Mathilde of Belgium (though she is noble born)/Alexandra of Denmark
Very unroyal: Princess Michael of Kent/Princess Marie Chantal of Greece/Clotilde of Savoy
Yes, I agree, and in the royal part I would add Letizia Ortiz. I think she has nicely adapted to her role, and it may not have been easy!!

semisquare said:
princess made racist remarks.....about going back to the colonies? whats wrong with saying that. in canda we are called yankees?
Aren't Canadians 'Canucks' and Americans 'Yanks/Yankees?'

Princess Michael's remarks were considered racist because she told a waiter of African heritage whom she apparently didn't think was doing a good job that he should "go back to the colonies" and reminded him to some effect that she was a protector of the colony or something like that that reminded him of her Windsor/royal status. That is offensive and racist unto itself. Furthermore, she had no idea about his background to make such a judgement about him -- and who is she to judge him anyway?

Princesses Anne, Alexandra, and Michael

Princess Anne is low key and very royal. :) Princess Alexandra of Denmark was royal - very royal. I'm sorry that they went separate ways. Princess Michael sounds like a chip off the old fascist Duke of Windsor block! :rolleyes: :eek:

And not to forget the Glucksberg Queens Anne Marie and Sophia - very royal! :) :)

Well I hope Mette-Marit is thankful. Not all ppl in her former position have married a prince, etc.

But I think most royal-Queens Eliz, Margarethe, liechtenstein leaders (what are they Grand prince/ss or something)
unroyal-duchess of kent, that guy who gave up his line to throne to marry that girl who went with the mob boss, i'll have to think of others

Alexandria said:
Aren't Canadians 'Canucks' and Americans 'Yanks/Yankees?'

Princess Michael's remarks were considered racist because she told a waiter of African heritage whom she apparently didn't think was doing a good job that he should "go back to the colonies" and reminded him to some effect that she was a protector of the colony or something like that that reminded him of her Windsor/royal status. That is offensive and racist unto itself. Furthermore, she had no idea about his background to make such a judgement about him -- and who is she to judge him anyway?
I cannot believe that she said that. I'm in shock. :eek: That is so racist, disrespectful and rude. By the sound of her, she must do this kind of thing all of the time. :mad:

what about Diana,Princess of Wales and Sophie,Countess of Wessex, Sarah,Duchess of York and Princess Anne?

many people thinks Princess Diana was Royals and Sophie Wessex also Royals too if you think about it!

Sara Boyce

sara1981 said:
what about Diana,Princess of Wales and Sophie,Countess of Wessex, Sarah,Duchess of York and Princess Anne?

many people thinks Princess Diana was Royals and Sophie Wessex also Royals too if you think about it!

Sara Boyce
But they are Royal...aren't they?

I don't know if any single royal has from day one wished they were someone in a different circumstance. There is no doubting that there are perks to been royal, but I diffinitely know there are time when they became very aware that being royal is a big limitation to their lives.
Prince Charles said in an interview that it is horrific having everything planned for you. Your schooling, university, military career ect.
Princess Anne noted the same, Andrew and Edward too. It's just that they are pretty constrainted into what is 'allowed' or rather what is expected. Maybe they know they lack personal freedom - all decisions they make are made with others and consquences scutinised. It's not a life I envy. What if Anne wanted to go to university whould she ave been allowed. What if Charles didn't wanted to go to the Navy, he is the heir to the throne, he couldn't say no like Edward did? Do they have any control over their lives at all? Or is that control to be sort in choosing the right advisiors? Do non -British royals have a greater control of their lives?

You make very good points Elsie. Its not a life i would wish for at all. I wonder how the royals feel, its not as if they asked to be royal.

The king of Sweden is very royal (but I dont like his comment about Victoria, that he would have been happyer if his son followed him as heir)

Princess Anne - An example of someone who is very royal, but doesn't seem to like being royal.
She does her duty efficiently and does not attach herself to her work. It seems just like buisness to her. Even when she's visiting sick & impoverished children.
Princess Caroline of Monaco - Acts very royal but is actually not. Her mother was not born royal & her paternal grandmother was born out of wedlock to an actress. Married E-A and got a HRH out of it but he has no reigning house. She seems to want to elevate herself.
Not royal - Princess marie-chantal of Greece..oh pleeeasseee!!!!
Stephanie - when she wants to she can pull off being royal but its obvious its only been a burden to her

betina said:
The king of Sweden is very royal (but I dont like his comment about Victoria, that he would have been happyer if his son followed him as heir)
I don't want to start this discussion again (there are lots of post on the topic in the Swedish forum somewhere) - but the King actually never said that (at least not in the interview I know of, from the 21st century). What he said was the he thought it was very strange to change a law and then make it valid before it was written.

Last edited:
GrandDuchess said:
I don't want to start this discussion again (there are lots of post on the topic in the Swedish forum somewhere) - but the King actually never said that (at least not in the interview I know of, from the 21st century). What he said was the he thought it was very strange to change a law and then make it valid before it was written.

I agree with you, it was not in the sense that he was against his daughter claimimg the throne but rather that in this generation, prince CP was already born a crownprince and therefore the new law should have come in effect for the next generation i.e for Carl Phillip's children. This is the way it was done for Norway, I believe. Though the law got changed before Haakon officially became Crown Prince, it came in effect only with Ingrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom