The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Aristocracy

Smile Breastfeeding or not ?

Which royals has breastfed ? and which not ?

Old 03-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Maxima of Orange breast-feed her daughter
Crown Princess Merit-Marit of Norway breast-feed her daughter
Princess Martha-Louise?

im not sure have other Royals have breastfeed?

Sara Boyce

Old 03-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Aristocracy

I know that Princess Alexandra of Denmark breastfed Nikolai and Felix ! but it's the only one I know ...
Old 03-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Courtier

I think Princess Märtha Louise breastfed as well, I can't see why she didn't when CP M-M did, since Princess Mätha Louise had less engagements when Maud Angelica was a baby. But then again breastfeding is common in Norway royalty or not.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Courtier

It's reported that Queen Elizabeth did
Old 03-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Courtier

I think that in former times most royal ladies didn´t breastfeed.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Mathilde: both her children.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

late Princess Diana breast-fed Prince William and Prince Harry when both was baby i did read her biography about that!

im not sure about Sarah,Duchess of york breast-fed to girls?

im not sure Countess of Wessex was breast-fed to Lady Louise because cant because had prematures baby!

Crown Princess Merit-Marit DID she breast-feed her daughter when she travel with her daughter because she is second mother she had son from previous husband you know that! if she breast-fed her son when he was baby?

im not sure what another Royals had breast-fed if baby need with mom all the times they need to feed from mom's milk than bottle! when i was baby my mom feed me from breast-feed till 10 month im become deaf because i got sick and my brother got breast-fed till 1 years old!

Sara Boyce
Old 03-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Queen Victoria's view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
I think that in former times most royal ladies didn´t breastfeed.
I found this in "An Uncommon Woman" by Hannah Pakula, a biography of Crown Princess Victoria of Prussia (later the Empress Frederick of Germany), Queen Victoria's eldest daughter:

"By the time her fourth child was born Vicky had enough self-confidence to defy her mother and mother-in-law and nurse the child herself. "I am sorry to find that Vicky's determination to nurse her baby makes you so angry," Queen Victoria's sister Feodora wrote to the Queen, "the Queen of Prussia feels the same as you. I have no opinion as I have always felt it a duty for a mother to nurse her child if she can."

And Vicky herself: "It is too strange that crowned heads have sworn such enmity to this very innocent occupation."

"Queen Victoria not only disapproved of Vicky's nursing her baby, but was furious at her for influencing sister Alice to nurse her newborn as well. The Queen had thought that Alice, like herself, "disliked the disgusting details of the nursery... 'all and every one of which Vicky delights in', and was pained to discover otherwise. "there is in everything the animal side of our nature...", Queen Victoria wrote to Alice.

"... but this - when one is high-born - one can avoid and ought to avoid... I maintain...that a child can never be as well nursed by a lady of rank and nervous and refined temperament - for the less feeling and the more like an animal the wet nurse is, the better for the child.

"It hurts me deeply that my own 2 daughters should set at defiance the advice of a Mother of 9 children, 46 years old."

"Both Vicky and Alice had wasted countless words defending their "awful and disgusting" preference for nursing their own children. "It does make my hair stand on end to think that my 2 daughters should turn into cows" the Queen said."

Needless to say that both daughters only felt secure in standing up to their mother because they were far enough away in Germany to avoid a direct confrontation!
Old 03-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Gentry

I think that Queen Rania breastfeeds, she had said in one of the interviews that she plans her schedule, so she can breastfeed princess salma (at that time) every three hours, and I suppose that she breastfeeds prince hashem as well
Old 03-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Courtier

crownprincess Margaretha of sweden did also breastfeed her children
Old 03-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah
I think that Queen Rania breastfeeds, she had said in one of the interviews that she plans her schedule, so she can breastfeed princess salma (at that time) every three hours, and I suppose that she breastfeeds prince hashem as well
Good for her!
Rania is one of the busiest royal women around but I think that when it comes to her kids, she knows that they are her priority.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Nobility

Queen Noor did
Old 04-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
Crown Princess Maxima of Orange breast-feed her daughter
Are you sure on this? I recall a few months after Princess Amalia was born Princess Maxima was photographed smoking and she also had a baby bottle in her hand that carried milk.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Courtier

A lot of mothers do both. They often bring bottles when they are going somewhere (i.e. cafes, restaurants and other public places) where nursing might be difficult and somewhere where people might find it offensive or the mother finds it uncomfortable to nurse in public.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Are you sure on this? I recall a few months after Princess Amalia was born Princess Maxima was photographed smoking and she also had a baby bottle in her hand that carried milk.
It's a pity she does not take better care of her daughter's and her own health :(
Old 06-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Serene Highness

I remember watching a mini series about the Swedish king Gustav III and his queen Sophie Madeleine. The queen wanted to breastfeed her son, but the king said no. Gustav III and Sophie Madeleine were our royal couple back in the 18th century.

And it took a long time before a royal woman could be allowed to breastfeed her own children. If our crown princess Margareth breastfed her children in the beginning of the 20th century, she was a rebel. Even her daughter-in-law Sibylla wouldn't breastfeed her son, our current king Carl XVI Gustaf, when he was a baby.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Serene Highness

Letizia of Spain did as well breastfeat her daughter Leonor.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Nobility

When Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna tried to brestfeed her first daughter Olga. One of the first tries ended with the Tsarina brestfeeding the son of the wet-nurse and the wet-nurse feeding Olga.

"Looking back on her short life I often wonder why we did not see that she was quite too good for this world, her fit companions were the Angels." ~Margaretta Eager about Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903)
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Grace of Monaco did Also and so did princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie.