The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
An interesting article about the meeting of Queen Wilhelmina and President Theodore Roosevelt. The present's discription was't very flattering...

http://www.caans-acaen.ca/Journal/is...pp%2025-48.pdf
I find Roosevelt's assessment of the Netherlands as an "unimportant small country" quite inaccurate considering that, back in 1910, the Netherlands, despite being itself "small", controlled nonetheless the world's third largest colonial empire. I am curious though about Queen Wilhelmina's alleged "autocratic" views. Is that a fair assessment of her personal political beliefs ?

Furthermore, if Wilhelmina indeed had autocratic leanings, did that have any influence at all on the Netherlands' decision to stay officially neutral in World War I and actually lean towards Germany ?

Old 06-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
A coup d'état is never recommendable but I can imagine groups of Dutchmen fighting against the défaitisme: "Ach, we have lost our East-Indies..." and want to keep that immense territory tied to the Netherlands. The historian Cees Fasseur seems not so convinced about the aspect to kill the foreman of the Dutch Labour Party: he found no substantial backing for that claim in the book.

How would a coup in the Netherlands have prevented Indonesian independence anyway ? If the coup had succeeded, I imagine a scenario where the Dutch armed forces would have been bogged down in a protracted Vietnam-like war in the East Indies , where the Netherlands would have got no international support whatsoever and would have had to withdraw eventually anyway.

Besides, going back to the claim that a coup was being planned in 1947, it would have been quite odd to install a right-wing, fascist regime in the Netherlands shortly after the country had fought against the Nazi occupation and fascism in World War II. Also, as I understand it, Princess Juliana was said to have "progressive" political leanings. I don't think she would side with the conspirators even if her mother did. Could anyone comment on that ?

Old 06-10-2016, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I find Roosevelt's assessment of the Netherlands as an "unimportant small country" quite inaccurate considering that, back in 1910, the Netherlands, despite being itself "small", controlled nonetheless the world's third largest colonial empire. I am curious though about Queen Wilhelmina's alleged "autocratic" views. Is that a fair assessment of her personal political beliefs ?

Furthermore, if Wilhelmina indeed had autocratic leanings, did that have any influence at all on the Netherlands' decision to stay officially neutral in World War I and actually lean towards Germany ?
As i understand it the policy of staying neutral had already been practised by the NL in the 19th century, so before Q.Wilhelmina came to the throne
This article might be of interest, it's about the role of Q.Wilhelmina during WWI
Koningin Wilhelmina tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog

https://translate.google.nl/translat...a%2Findex.html
Old 11-28-2016, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Wilhelmina opened Parliament amidst medieval pomp in 1930.

Tags
queen wilhelmina