Queen Juliana (1909-2004) and Prince Bernhard (1911-2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question regarding one of Queen Juliana's daughters.As I've read Prince Bernhard wasn't very faithful husband,but he deeply loved daughters and family.
They had 4 daughters,the youngest one seemed to be blind(if I remember well the article ),they even invited some dubious "popular doctors" in order to cure the daughter.What happened to this girl?Is she still alive?Did she marry?
She should be the younger sister of Queen Beatrix

HRH Princess Christina and her family have their own thread here in the Dutch Royals section.I'd suggest you might read that.

I have been watching The World at War -- the early 1970s documentary about World War II.
Last night, there was an episode entitled "Occupation" that dealt with the situation in Holland throughout the war.
There was a small part of Prince Bernard talking about how he contacted the Allies (British?) about relieving the food situation during the winter of 1944-45. He said the Allies were to drop supplies but then the military action in the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge) began & the Allies could not help.

The entire episode was fascinating & I learned a lot -- which I am by watching this entire series.
Now I want to do some reading about the Dutch Reisistence.

Today,june 29th,is the 100st anniversary of the birth of the late Prince Bernhard.
The Prince died on december 1st 2004,little over 8 months after Princess Juliana
passed away (March 20th 2004).

Autographed Photo Princess Juliana, Prince Bernhard, & Family

New to the forum, but i wanted to get this out there so i could find out some more info. I found this picture yesterday at a very "unique" back woods antique shop in Pennsylvania. It was buried under some other photos and i was instantly drawn to it. The lady who owned the shop & sold it to me had no idea what it was, or even where it came from. Apparently she had never seen it before. She was very "spiritual" and felt like i was meant to have this. Not exactly sure why but...hey i never mess with fate. I offered her $4 and with that i owned the picture. After i did some digging on the internet i found out that it is Princess Juliana, Prince Bernhard, & daughters Beatrix, Irene, baby Margriet. I believe that the photo was taken on March 9, 1943, at the families Ottawa Canada home. I know this because I found an Associated Press photo that appeared to be from the same shoot.

What makes this photo unique is that it appears to have been signed by both Juliana and Bernhard. There is a third signature in the bottom right hand corner of the photo but i am un able to make it out. The photo is in average- good condition and both signatures are visible and in good shape. I have found very few autographs and or signatures for these two. Other than Juliana's "official photo" which has her autograph.

Other than what i have read yesterday and today, I know very little about this couple and their family. I would like to somehow authenticate this for i feel it is a interesting piece. Any info on this picture would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 281
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 295
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 290
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 349
I can't help you with any information.
But what a lovely thing to find!!!!

Jos Brink and Queen Juliana's 70 birthday!

Jos Brink en Koninging Juliana 70 jaar - YouTube

Oh I remember that!!It wasn't done and still everybody loved it!Jos Brink had a strong bond with Queen Juliana to whom he said;" sorry,we only know eachother from the telly...And then that kiss!!.Juliana was thrilled,something like this had never happened before...and she loved to trash protocol herself...

Last edited:
The Queen and entire Royal Family looked as if they were thoroughly enjoying Jos Brink!

For their golden wedding anniversary Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard gave an interview to the NOS. I have never seen the complete version before, but somebody posted it on youtube in three parts. It is remarkable how open and relaxed they are/seem and they even give their opinions on some social issues. Prince Bernhard even speaks in favor of euthenasia (that under some circumstances he would like to have the possibility of doing that). Euthenasia was however only legalized in 2002. Unthinkable that Queen Beatrix would ever have given such an interview.

Funny that they discussed that Queen Wilhelmina had the character that she always was right, and they even discussed together who were actually able to stand up to her. And also funny what Juliana's reaction was when Maartje van Wegen asked her about her acting interest -Juliana was an amateur actress-, if Juliana may have become an actress if she wouldn't have been queen: 'fourth-rate' was her reply. While Bernhard replied that he may have been a director of a large firm.

Vraaggesprek Juliana en Bernhard 1987 deel 1 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-zc8wGjhG0

Vraaggesprek Juliana en Bernhard 1987 deel 3 - YouTube

Last edited:
Beautifull footage!!Thanks for posting!!

From my collection.

1238898_640410609317438_480684945_n.jpg

Princess Beatrix and her sister, Princess Margriet, each have the title of Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld. When their mother, Princess Juliana married Prince Bernhard, did Juliana's surname become Lippe-Biesterfeld?

Princess Beatrix and her sister, Princess Margriet, each have the title of Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld. When their mother, Princess Juliana married Prince Bernhard, did Juliana's surname become Lippe-Biesterfeld?

According to this wiki article Lippe-Biesterfeld - Wikipedia (for what it's worth..)
Juliana and Bernhard got the name"van Lippe-Biesterfeld" (prince/princess) in 1937 just prior to their marriage. The title is based on Bernhard's original name "zur Lippe-Biesterfeld".
Their 4 daughters all have the title "Prinses van Lippe-Biesterfeld". After them the title will be extinct as it is only transferable in male line.

For Juliana this was one of many titles, i don't think she actually used it as last name a lot..

No,that remained van Oranje-Nassau,by law,but she did become a Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld.

Even tho the title will be extinct after the passing of the four Princesses,the van Lippe Biesterfeld name will live on with Anastasia (Anna),Lucas and Felicia,children of TH Prince Maurits and Princess Marilène of Orange Nassau van Vollenhoven as was arranged after the passing of HRH Prince Bernhard in 2004.

Last edited:
Did Prince Bernhards younger brother die childless?

Did Prince Bernhards younger brother die childless?

Indeed, Ashwin had no children from his marriage to Simone Arnoux (she had two children from a previous marriage)

Indeed, Ashwin had no children from his marriage to Simone Arnoux (she had two children from a previous marriage)

Thanks Lee-Z,I recall reading before that Prince Bernhards mother HSH Princess Armgard of Lippe-Biesterfeld converted to Catholicismm,but wasn't 100% certain on this.

This month it will be 10 years ago that Queen Juliana died. The NOS will broadcast a programme about Juliana during the war. Sociologist and historian Jolande Withuis is writing a biography about Queen Juliana. Her conclusion about this perdiod is that the ideas that we have about her role during the war years is inaccurate. It was believed that Juliana mainly stayed at home in Ottawa, taking care of her children. This image was provided by historian Lou de Jong (who wrote the most important history of the second world war), who wrote that: 'her place was with the children'. De Jong mainly focussed on the roles of his great heroine Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Bernhard, even though he must have known what Juliana did and that his conclusion was false as he wanted to portray her as a house wife.

Withuis shows that Juliana was very active, made a lot of travels. To the US, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, Suriname, the Antilles etc etc. She gave a lot of speeches too, always focussing on the war in Europe. And she knew how to strong bond with president Roosevelt and especially with his wife Eleonor. The historian said that Juliana was fascinated by Eleonor Roosevelt, 'it was the kind of woman she would never in a million years meet in The Netherlands'.

ROYALBLOG.NL: 'Juliana was een strijdbare vrouw'

Prof. Fasseur (biographer of Wilhelmina and of the Greet Hofmans crisis) and Withuis claim that she becae stronger and more independent in this period, without her dominant mother and husband close by. Unsurprisingly Bernhard didn't appreciate this new found independance of his wife and he is critical of her in letters.Juliana communicated with her mother about Wilhelmina's plans for after the war. Bernhard asked his mother-in-law to make sure that Juliana would spend enough time at home with her family. Juliana doesn't agree and writes her mother: 'make sure that I will have a real role and that I don't turn out to be the refrain in the song that sings Bernhard'.

Fasseur suspects that Juliana's speeches are less remmebered as Queen Wilhelmina's speeches were more explicit, with stronger. Though pacifist Juliana also disappeared in these years and she is talking about: 'getting the Germans by the throat'.

Berhard had a relationship that started in the war and lasted in the years after. Juliana's hope of comradery and forming a team together in the Netherlands were crushed: 'she was very lonely'.

The documentary was broadcasted yesterday and can be wached here:

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1401887

The documentary had some new clips.

--
Again it reaffirms that Bernhard was the worst thing that happened to the Dutch monarchy in the 20th century. I am very curious about the complete biography, esp. after the very one-sided view of Prof. Fasseurs book about Greet Hofmans, who was very much on Bernhards side. I suspect that this book will show the other -neglected- side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom