The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Dutch Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a question regarding one of Queen Juliana's daughters.As I've read Prince Bernhard wasn't very faithful husband,but he deeply loved daughters and family.
They had 4 daughters,the youngest one seemed to be blind(if I remember well the article ),they even invited some dubious "popular doctors" in order to cure the daughter.What happened to this girl?Is she still alive?Did she marry?
She should be the younger sister of Queen Beatrix

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The girl is princess Maria Christina. Her calling name was Marijke but she changed it to Chritina as she grew older. The princess was not completely blind though. She studied music related things and later moved to the USA. She married the Cuban Jorge Guillermo, from which she got three children: Bernardo, Nicholas and Juliana. In the 80-ties she and her family returned to the Netherlands to live at Villa Eikenhorst (now the home of the prince of Orange and his family). In the 90-ties Christina divorced, according to some because her husband was gay. She moved back to London (or New York) where she works as a music teacher. Around 2000 she recorded two CD's, on which she sung some of her favourite classical pieces of music. She also performed at the wedding of her nephew prince Bernhard and at the funeral of both her parents.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I have a question regarding one of Queen Juliana's daughters.As I've read Prince Bernhard wasn't very faithful husband,but he deeply loved daughters and family.
They had 4 daughters,the youngest one seemed to be blind(if I remember well the article ),they even invited some dubious "popular doctors" in order to cure the daughter.What happened to this girl?Is she still alive?Did she marry?
She should be the younger sister of Queen Beatrix
HRH Princess Christina and her family have their own thread here in the Dutch Royals section.I'd suggest you might read that.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Majesty

Today,march 20th,is the 7th anniversary of the death of HM Queen Juliana.

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/queenjuliana/
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Commoner

I have been watching The World at War -- the early 1970s documentary about World War II.
Last night, there was an episode entitled "Occupation" that dealt with the situation in Holland throughout the war.
There was a small part of Prince Bernard talking about how he contacted the Allies (British?) about relieving the food situation during the winter of 1944-45. He said the Allies were to drop supplies but then the military action in the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge) began & the Allies could not help.

The entire episode was fascinating & I learned a lot -- which I am by watching this entire series.
Now I want to do some reading about the Dutch Reisistence.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Majesty

Today,june 29th,is the 100st anniversary of the birth of the late Prince Bernhard.
The Prince died on december 1st 2004,little over 8 months after Princess Juliana
passed away (March 20th 2004).
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

September 6th,1948

The Investiture Ceremony of Queen Juliana

Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is a link to a documentry about Juliana:

‘Juliana, A Lady Queen’: A Documentary | The Royal Correspondent
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Prime Minister Rutte today wrote to the 2nd chamber that there will be no new investigation about the role of Prince Bernhard in the Lockheed affair. The liberal democrats asked for this after historian Geert Aalbers claims that the role ofthe prince in the affair was larger than is known publically.

Geen nieuw onderzoek rol prins bij 'Lockheed' - Binnenland | Het laatste nieuws uit Nederland leest u op Telegraaf.nl [binnenland]
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Today it has been 8 years ago that Queen Juliana died.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Today it has been 8 years ago that Queen Juliana died.

It is,as if it was yesterday.

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/queenjuliana/

courtesy ademar.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Commoner

Juliana's years - 1927
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Autographed Photo Princess Juliana, Prince Bernhard, & Family

New to the forum, but i wanted to get this out there so i could find out some more info. I found this picture yesterday at a very "unique" back woods antique shop in Pennsylvania. It was buried under some other photos and i was instantly drawn to it. The lady who owned the shop & sold it to me had no idea what it was, or even where it came from. Apparently she had never seen it before. She was very "spiritual" and felt like i was meant to have this. Not exactly sure why but...hey i never mess with fate. I offered her $4 and with that i owned the picture. After i did some digging on the internet i found out that it is Princess Juliana, Prince Bernhard, & daughters Beatrix, Irene, baby Margriet. I believe that the photo was taken on March 9, 1943, at the families Ottawa Canada home. I know this because I found an Associated Press photo that appeared to be from the same shoot.

What makes this photo unique is that it appears to have been signed by both Juliana and Bernhard. There is a third signature in the bottom right hand corner of the photo but i am un able to make it out. The photo is in average- good condition and both signatures are visible and in good shape. I have found very few autographs and or signatures for these two. Other than Juliana's "official photo" which has her autograph.

Other than what i have read yesterday and today, I know very little about this couple and their family. I would like to somehow authenticate this for i feel it is a interesting piece. Any info on this picture would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	286459   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	286460   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	286461   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	286462  

Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Courtier

I can't help you with any information.
But what a lovely thing to find!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Jos Brink and Queen Juliana's 70 birthday!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Jos Brink and Queen Juliana's 70 birthday!

Oh I remember that!!It wasn't done and still everybody loved it!Jos Brink had a strong bond with Queen Juliana to whom he said;" sorry,we only know eachother from the telly...And then that kiss!!.Juliana was thrilled,something like this had never happened before...and she loved to trash protocol herself...
Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen and entire Royal Family looked as if they were thoroughly enjoying Jos Brink!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Administrator

For their golden wedding anniversary Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard gave an interview to the NOS. I have never seen the complete version before, but somebody posted it on youtube in three parts. It is remarkable how open and relaxed they are/seem and they even give their opinions on some social issues. Prince Bernhard even speaks in favor of euthenasia (that under some circumstances he would like to have the possibility of doing that). Euthenasia was however only legalized in 2002. Unthinkable that Queen Beatrix would ever have given such an interview.

Funny that they discussed that Queen Wilhelmina had the character that she always was right, and they even discussed together who were actually able to stand up to her. And also funny what Juliana's reaction was when Maartje van Wegen asked her about her acting interest -Juliana was an amateur actress-, if Juliana may have become an actress if she wouldn't have been queen: 'fourth-rate' was her reply. While Bernhard replied that he may have been a director of a large firm.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Majesty

Beautifull footage!!Thanks for posting!!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Majesty

From my collection.

Tags
autographed signed, beatrix, bernhard, juliana, photo, prince bernhard, queen juliana