King/Grand Duke Willem II (1792-1849), Queen Anna Paulowna (1795-1865) and family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A closer view of Queen Anna and some of her pearls:

Anna20Paulowna20Diamant2020Saffier2.jpg

For those who speak Dutch, a lot of information about King Willem II, his wife etc. can be found on this site.

King Willem II, aka the hero of Waterloo, in a heroic portrait:

koning-willem-ii-11.jpg

I just read in 'Rites of Piece' by Adam Zamoyski that Tsar Alexander I had the plan to let his sister marry the Duke of Berry, and put them on the throne of France (The Tsar didn't hold Louis XVIII in high regard). when Napoleon was defeated and the powers were wondering who should be on the french throne.
Before this it was actually Napoleon who asked for Anna's hand but Alexander refused.

So most Dutch masters of the Hermitage came from Anna's 'donation'? I was wondering if they also still had some Dutch masters left from what they confiscated from the Nazi's?
A pity they left the country, and all that is left of Willem II's spendthrift nature here is another crown with fake stones and a ghastly palace in Tilburg ;).

The Palace in Tilburg.Has been in use as town hall for decades.
dutch castles and palaces

please scroll down to "visit all dutch royal palaces",then,scroll down again a little....

Courtesy Caroline Raat.

Last edited:
Some images I found on royalehuwelijken.web-log.nl , free of copyrights:

The couple:

WillemIIenAnnaPaulowna.jpg

The first meeting of Willem & Anna:

WillemontmoetbruidAnna06-09-1816.jpg

Here a highly flattering statue of Queen Anna, in the garden of the Czar Peter House in Zaandam.

I didn´t even know there was one untill I saw an article at Royalblog.

The Opera on Willem II and Anna Pavlovna by the Souvenir Musictheater productions Foundation won the Prize for Amateur Art 2009.

The Opera will be performed from november 26th till 29th 2009 at Theaters Tilburg.

King Willem II stayed in Tilburg regurarly and died there in 1849.

The couples second son was Prince Willem Alexander Frederik Constantijn Nicolaas Michiel (Soestdijk Palace 2 Aug 1818- Mantua [per one source] or Madeira [per another] 20 Feb 1848). He was considered one of the marriage candidates for Queen Victoria of Great Britain, but he sadly died too young, due to a cold that he acquired when a tree fell on his coach and he had to walk (that was the strory at least).

Prince Alexander died of Tuberculosis at Funchal, Madeira. He went there because the dry climate would benefit his health. He indeed had an accident with a tree branch around 1830, but it fell on top of him instead of the coach. He had health problems ever since (also because he dieted and exercised to the extreme to stay thin).

Mixed family portraits (I): Paintings of Prince Willem (later King Willem III) and Prince Alexander.

Scannen0012_edited.jpg

This is a portrait of Wiwill and Maurits, the eldest sons of William III and Sophie, made around 1846

Antique print in my collection.Pic made by me.

HM King Willem II

1233531_640409865984179_1155565563_n.jpg

Starting March 2nd William II's famed art collection will be exhibited in the Netherlands (Dordrecht) for the first time in over 150 years.

Last edited:
King Willem II is making headlines today. His biography shows that the king had a 2nd family. But more surprising is that the king that Jeroen van Zanten comes with a new explanatin to the old debate how the king went from 'très conservative, très liberal' in one night in 1848 and signed the new constitution. The biographer thinks that the king was blackmailed by liberal politicians about his bisexuality.

The German Petrus Janssen, a palace servant who blackmailed the king, as he said the king held is hend like a mistress and tried to kiss him like a woman. Janssen ended up in prison for not paying his debts, however even from there he continued his attempts to blackmail the king, he even sent letters to the kings siblings: prince Frederik and princess Marianne. The king paid him 100.000s euros (in todays value). The king is helped by some radical democrats, the end the affair and put Janssen on a boat to America. These same radical democrats around Thorbecke, used this information to put pressure on the king to sign the new liberal constitution.

http://nos.nl/koningshuis/artikel/580688-willem-ii-overstag-door-chantage.html

Last edited:
Queen Anna gave a throne to her husband as a gift when he became King Willem II.
In 1849 her son became King Willem III.
Queen Anna gave the throne to Willem III. :throne:

Fischbach Castle, located in central Luxembourg, was purchased by Grand Duke William II (King Willem II of The Netherlands) in 1847.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom