The Se & Hoer Scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like any Crown Princess, Crown Princess Mette-Marit enjoys perquisite of her position within the society. Like any other Crown Princess, she should be ready for certain degree of intrusiveness. Royals like media showcasing how useful they are.

Like any Crown Princess, Crown Princess Mette-Marit enjoys perquisite of her position within the society. Like any other Crown Princess, she should be ready for certain degree of intrusiveness. Royals like media showcasing how useful they are.

We can all go and read the Cambridge threads for more discussion about this issue. Long story short, I strongly disagree with your statement.

It is all right. It has been kind of you though not to repeat the trite talking points.

It is business between royals (and other VIP's) and media. They should live together... If I know good the Cambridges were in a privateisland but the norwegian royals were on an island, what full are with VIP's and so naturally with paparazzis... They could spent the previous christmasholiday in Costa Rica and we didn't know about. Also they spent 3 weeks in Bali 2010, we didn't see pictures about it. We didn't see much pictures when they were in Antigua... And I am sure they travel often to destinations, about we don't know... I mean if they want to stay in privat they can organise it, so I think it is first of all their decision where they spend holiday, and I am sure they know definitely where can they meet paparazzis, where not. So I find this hysterics a little bit too much and absurd.

It is business between royals (and other VIP's) and media. They should live together... If I know good the Cambridges were in a privateisland but the norwegian royals were on an island, what full are with VIP's and so naturally with paparazzis... They could spent the previous christmasholiday in Costa Rica and we didn't know about. Also they spent 3 weeks in Bali 2010, we didn't see pictures about it. We didn't see much pictures when they were in Antigua... And I am sure they travel often to destinations, about we don't know... I mean if they want to stay in privat they can organise it, so I think it is first of all their decision where they spend holiday, and I am sure they know definitely where can they meet paparazzis, where not. So I find this hysterics a little bit too much and absurd.

There is the job of the journalist who reports the standards of who, where why, what and how and writes the story. Then there's the paps that send a photo and anything can be made in words from that photo.

To me, even in this information age and instant viral shots that wouldn't be considered serious news 50 years ago, its the global intelligence that has declined.

Take a minute and think about it. Big bucks for a belly shot. what a couple will be doing on Valentine's day. The dog that is so cute! watch this!.

We all see it and that's what our media feeds to us.

I think the days of straight journalism has died.

I agree...but this is the prize you have to pay when you are a celebrity and with her wedding with Haakon she became a famous person.....and she is our idol and we sympathize with her....she is a role model - she inspires us...she is wonderful and I say thank you to her for showing me how to fight for LOVE.

You have some good points there. :flowers:

It is all right. It has been kind of you though not to repeat the trite talking points.

I don't know where you live, but in the US those "trite talking points" are also known as 35 years of jurisprudence.

On behalf of the Royal Family, a complaint was sent to the Press Complaints Commission (as well as to Se og Hør). They complain about breaches of press ethics.
kongehuset.no - Klager Se og Hør inn for PFU
Google Translation
"Through consideration of this complaint, we want the separate press complaints commission, PFU, among other things, to clarify to what extent it believes that the Royal Family members have a right to privacy when they are in places that are accessible to the public. It is particularly important for the Royal Family that children's privacy are protected even in situations where adult family members are present." (Google Translation)

the full complaint here
http://www.kongehuset.no/binfil/download2.php?tid=114446

Officials at the Royal Palace in Oslo insist neither they nor the royal family themselves are trying to control media coverage, but they’re not backing down on their formal complaint against celebrity magazine “Se og Hør.” The palace has now filed a rebuttal to the magazine’s defense of its own coverage, calling it a “grave over-simplification” of the issues in dispute.
Palace files new call for restraint Views and News from Norway

Today, the case will be processed, which can be even followed via live stream now.
Medieblikk: Kongelig teater i PFU - VG Nett om Kongehuset
Google Translation
"Now it remains five specific articles PFU should consider. One of them is the 14-page report on the Crown family Christmas vacation in St. Barts, which the magazine claims cost over half a million dollars."

"Among those who will handle the complaint is Eva Sannum, who was prone to annoying paparazzi when she had a relationship with the Spanish crown prince."

The interest is great, the Press Council had to move to a bigger place for this case. This article has another summary.
Stor interesse for kongefamiliens Se og Hør-klage - VG Nett om Kongehuset
Google Translation
"Also photos taken by Prince Sverre Magnus and Marius Borg in connection with a private birthday party for the royal couple on Bygdøy royal is appealed. "Pictures are taken in secret through a guarded fence into the royal family's private property, and there was not consent to shoot the kids," says the complaint."

If nothing else, I hope that the magazine gets a slap for taking pictures of the children. I don't like paparazzi pictures in general, but publish pictures of the kids is really out of line.

The PFU decision in short:
- it was ok to publish beach pictures of the family taken on a public beach in St. Barthelemy (St. Barts), the Royal Family must expect to be photographed in a public place like St. Barts where every year famous world stars attract media so it must be regarded as a place one can hardly expect to be left alone for paparazzi photographers - the large number of images was critized though
- it was not ok to print false information about the costs of the "luxury holiday"
- it was unacceptable to take pictures through the fence when the royal couple celebrated their 75th birthdays at Bygdøy, even worse to photograph children there
- it was not ok to print interviews without giving the source right in the beginning of the interview (as they were not interviews with Se og Hør)
Kongehuset vant mot Se og Hør på flere punkter | ABC Nyheter
Google Translation

more detailed articles
Se og Hør har brutt god presseskikk - Kultur-og-underholdning - NRK
Google Translation

Se og Hør brøt god presseskikk i kongereportasjer - Aftenposten
Google Translation

Last edited:
:previous:the decisions make sense. thank you fairy tale:flowers:

I hope the NRF doesn't get in the habit of suing every time.

I hope all of Europe's royal families will make it a practice to sue when they feel the press has stepped over the line. I believe the Dutch, the Swedes, Monaco have also done so. Not suing to protect yourself just tells the press that they can get away with everything and that there are no boundaries.

Oh yes, definitely when the press crosses the line, like taking pics through the fence of a private property of the kids.
But i dont think it was appropriate to sue when they get photographed on a famous public beach resort where all the stars go.

Good, a satisfactory verdict.

Will there be further consequences for Se & Hør?

They are not sueing, the PFU is the press own forum which judges different article against the press own code of ethics
CODE OF ETHICS OF THE NORWEGIAN PRESS / Saker / Norsk Presseforbund - Norsk Presse Forbund

The PFU is not a judical court. Its board that consits of 4 members from the press and 3 representing the public, including Prince Felipes Ex Eva Sannum which has gotten much praise for her conduct and argumentation during the meeting today, and is given much of the credit for the realtivly big loss for Se og Hør.

Good, a satisfactory verdict.

Will there be further consequences for Se & Hør?

They have to print the whole verdict in a prominent place in the magazine. And also preffreble adjust their practice:whistling:

The editor says she will change the practice. The current editor is not really a pit bull like the formers, she was formerly editor of big a womens magazine and has also been a member of the PFU board, so I guess she will, but Se og Hør will not be Se og Hør if they do not push the limit. Her conduct toay was quite professional, no sulking, though she said she was disappointed that the PFU criticised the amount of photos published, which she thinks is a editorial decision.

So the cost benefit analazys has turned out in favor of Se & Hør.

The press complainst comittees in many countries have been critizised for being toothless and with good reason.
Printing a "we were wrong - big deal" has undoubtedly been calculated up against the increased sale the magazine has had.

IMO a press watchdog without the power to impose severe sanctions is worthless against tabloids and gossis magazines. - Se & Hør will be back agian soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom