Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Norway - March 20-22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe curtseys in Norway are done diffrently? It looks strange to me ;)
People curtsey differently everywhere, according to their preference. Some do just a slight bob, while others, like Mette-Marit, go for full formal curtsey.
She always curtseyed like that; for example, during her first meeting with Queen Elizabeth, or one of the most recent official visit to Britain (whilst heavily pregnant).
To me, it looks no different to curtseys performed by most other royals, especially to Heads of State.

The only strange thing for me was the fact that Mette-Marit chose to curtsey at all as she and Camilla have equal ranks as wives of Crown Princes of their respective countries. Moreover, as Crown Princess of the host country, Mette-Marit actually has a slight precedence over Camilla; the only reason could be genuine respect and/or admiration she has for Camilla - the two women do appear to be quite close. After all , and Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit were the only crown princely couple from a reigning hose to attend Charles and Camilla's wedding back in 2005.

Last edited:
Maybe MM has arthritis or some other chronic leg malady. Someone should get a picture of Camilla curtseying to Queen Sonja or her mother-in-law, and see how SHE looks.

Camilla always curtseys to the Queen, whether the occasion is private or official. She prefers an elegant straight curtsey.

Last edited:
I truely love MM and I hate criticizing her, but these curtseys to Camilla are totally unappropriate (even more so due to the fact that the DoC doesn´t curtsey her back)!

I truely love MM and I hate criticizing her, but these curtseys to Camilla are totally unappropriate (even more so due to the fact that the DoC doesn´t curtsey her back)!

I have never heard of a royal curtseying back to another royal. Have you?

The person who is curtseyed to simply cannot curtsey back.
I think it's actually very nice of Mette-Marit to show respect by this gesture. And it's hardly anything new; she curtseyed to Camilla during her 2005 visit to Britain.

In the link above you'll find also videos from the wreath-laying ceremony and the meeting with survivors from Utøya-attacks last July.

This evening, there will be a banquet which the Royal Couple and the CP Couple attend as well as Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner. I'm looking forward to see all of them. :flowers:

kongehuset.no - Visit from the United Kingdom

Here is a photo album from the NRF webpage from the whole visit which will be updated continuously.
http://www.kongehuset.no/c28410/fotoalbum/vis.html?presse=&person=26911&album=99727

I have never heard of a royal curtseying back to another royal. Have you?

No - but only because normally a lower ranking person curtseys to a higher one - which, for Camilla and the CPss of Norway, is simply not the case!
Two future queen consorts never curtseyd to each other in the past.

I remember an odd situation with the Princess of Wales back in 1993 during a state visit in London (cannot remember what head of state was in Britain at the time); at the return dinner Diana arrived, curtseyed to a lady in front of the building which, in her turn, also curtseyed to the Princess. Both giggled as if there was some confusion about who of them was to curtsey and who was not. Concerning Camilla and Mette-Marit there´s no confusion as no one of the 2 ladies is higher or lower ranking as the other one.

After wreath laying ceremony at the National Monument at Akershus Fortress with King Harald and Queen Sonja, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall visited Nobel Peace Centre, again accompanied by Their Majesties. While at the centre, the royals watched a performance - a highly amusing one too, judging by the expression on Prince Charles' face. Prince Charles also had a meeting with Norway's Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg.

And to the more sombre part of the visit; Charles, Camilla and Their Majesties met some of the surviving AUF-members from the shooting massacre at Utoeya July 22nd last year, including Lars Hjetland. Can't believe it's been almost a year since the horrible day. :sad:

Last edited:
The speech from the young man at the meeting with survivors of the Utoya attacks last July was incredibly moving. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Queen Sonja looks so cool in her hot pink and sunglasses. Very happy to finally see the start of this visit. I'm glad Camilla took out my favourite brooch for the event, and I'm lovin the blue hat. I think MM just really likes curtsying to be honest, she sort of does it to everyone.

That's great C&C are visiting their Scandinavian neighbors. Wonderful pics to date. All the royals look great and it's so nice to see such warmth between them. I don't think there's any need to get stuck on Mette-Marit curtsying to Camilla. No, it's not required, but she chooses to, most likely as a sign of respect. If it had been such a severe breech in protocol, I would suspect someone would have told her to stop, but as she's repeated this, I'm guessing it's not a big deal. There are worse things a person could do then showing respect to someone...

That's great C&C are visiting their Scandinavian neighbors. Wonderful pics to date. All the royals look great and it's so nice to see such warmth between them. I don't think there's any need to get stuck on Mette-Marit curtsying to Camilla. No, it's not required, but she chooses to, most likely as a sign of respect. If it had been such a severe breech in protocol, I would suspect someone would have told her to stop, but as she's repeated this, I'm guessing it's not a big deal. There are worse things a person could do then showing respect to someone...

Hear! Hear!

Very well put. Agree on all accounts. :)
I would love to know what Queen Sonja and Camilla were talking about in this picture. Interesting gesture, certainly. :D
On a different note, the soldier who passed away during the wreath laying ceremony is all right. Save for his dignity, of course; something tells me his mates are going to make sure this picture pops up every once in a while.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought this would have been a tiara event, how disappointing.

After wreath laying ceremony at the National Monument at Akershus Fortress with King Harald and Queen Sonja, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall visited Nobel Peace Centre, again accompanied by Their Majesties. While at the centre, the royals watched a performance - a highly amusing one too, judging by the expression on Prince Charles' face. Prince Charles also had a meeting with Norway's Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg.

And to the more sombre part of the visit; Charles, Camilla and Their Majesties met some of the surviving AUF-members from the shooting massacre at Utoeya July 22nd last year, including Lars Hjetland. Can't believe it's been almost a year since the horrible day. :sad:
Love the pics from the performance- Charles's facial expressions!:D:ROFLMAO:
All the pics are wonderful!

Last edited:
This has to be my favorite pic of the day. I just wish I knew what Sonja and Camilla were talking about!

The ladies all looked fabulous at the dinner, though I did raise an eyebrow at Martha Louise's strapless dress at first. But she looked amazing, and I suppose she can pull it off better than I can.

I think it's very nice of the Norwegians, and rather a compliment, that the King and Queen themselves will host Charles and Camilla. Not surprising I suppose, the BRF seem to be much closer to the Norwegian than the Danish RF.

But Prince Charles has always been particularly close to Queen Margrethe of Denmark. They were both students of archaeology at university and both Queen Margrethe & Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands have stayed with Prince Charles on one of his long weekends at Sandringham. + I also think that Queen Margrethe was one of the few to publicly support Prince Charles's relationship with Camilla before the couple married in 2005.

Oh, I thought this would have been a tiara event, how disappointing.

I know I'm bitterly disappointed with the lack of sparkle tonight in Oslo :( on the plus side Camilla looked pretty great and some great turquoise jewellry that i don't think we've seen before. Pity it seemed like a toned down evening and i had such high hopes for Norway on this trip, we already know that sweden and denmark (?) won't be full on tiara wearing events i thought this one might deliever but alas....

Norway very rarely does black tie dinners so I'm starting to think that Charles and his people request them because the British seem to be abandoning their tiaras. Such a shame. However, everyone did look very very lovely and I have high hopes for tiaras in Denmark. Even black tie dinners without orders in Denmark seem to herald tiaras.

That's great C&C are visiting their Scandinavian neighbours. Wonderful pics to date. All the royals look great and it's so nice to see such warmth between them. I don't think there's any need to get stuck on Mette-Marit curtsying to Camilla. No, it's not required, but she chooses to, most likely as a sign of respect. If it had been such a severe breech in protocol, I would suspect someone would have told her to stop, but as she's repeated this, I'm guessing it's not a big deal. There are worse things a person could do then showing respect to someone...
It looks like they all have a warm and close relationship. I think that Norway has a real asset in Mette-Marit. She has an indefinable "something" that translates easily in a diplomatic setting. She is open and warm and doesn't let "protocol" get in the way of being herself. And "herself" is a person that immediately seems to put people at ease and make them feel special. And that is a rare gift.

Her curtsy to Camilla seems to be a purely personal gesture of affection and respect for a woman who is the same generation as her in-laws. Who could possibly take umbrage at such a sweet gesture of grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom