The Monarchy And The Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
Source: Afterposten

Crown Prince fears camera phones
Crown Prince Haakon told a meeting of Norway's media organizations that he feared that paparazzi would disrupt the life of the crown couple's children. The crown prince asked the press to allow children privacy but got no guarantees that infringements would not occur.

Crown Prince Haakon met with the Norwegian Press Federation (NP) to discuss the question of how the media should treat the youngest members of the royal family.

"It is important to discuss these problems before the children grow up and have their own young lives," Haakon said in a press conference after the meeting.

Crown Prince Haakon mentioned mobile phones with cameras as a particular worry and hoped that newspapers would not encourage people to invade the royal family's privacy in the hope of earning money.

The hour and a half meeting was described as constructive by both the crown prince and NP secretary-general Per Edgar Kokkvold. The NP's 'Caution in reporting' guidelines were mentioned by both sides as being of central importance, especially in coverage of children.

(Aftenposten English Web Desk/NTB)

I can't stand camera phones. I have found that they are intruding upon the lives of private individuals, not only public individuals. I am sick and tired of some of my so-called friends and even random people taking pictures whenever they feel like it, no matter what you are doing. It is really ridiculous.

Bravo to Haakon for this viewpoint. Let`s hope Ingrid Alexandra and Marius will have the privacy that other kids have.

Since Haakon & Märtha grew up as two pretty normal kids, Haakon played football and played games all over Oslo with not much media coverage at all... I'm hoping that Ingrid Alexandra and Marius will have it too.

For Marius, as long as he behaves when he grows up, there will probably be less and less media attention.

For Ingrid Alexandra, whether she behaves or not, probably more and more.

But good behaviour will probably work in their favour as the press gives them much more coverage when they screw something up.

The valid point is that they're just kids. And every child is entitled to a childhood, as normal as possible.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Apr 4th, 2004 - 5:12 am
The valid point is that they're just kids. And every child is entitled to a childhood, as normal as possible.
I agree, norwegianne. I think that in Ingrid Alexandra's case in particular, as she will have tremendous responsibilities when she grows up, it is even more important that she have as normal a childhood as possible; be allowed to play in the park with her friends without extreme or obtrusive press attention played to her.

In this day and age of course, with all the gadgets the media possesses and the incessant demand for images and stories of public figures it will be much harder. But I hope that the press will respect Haakon and Mette-Marit and their family's privacy.

This also reminds me of a story about Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis in the seventies when her son John's bike was stolen from him by teenagers. I can't remember where his body guards were, but she was happy that they didn't step in so that he could get a taste of reality and be like a normal child, even if it was in bad circumstances.

why are they worried about camera phones? i think the pressure created by cameras and paparazzis is much more important than phones, don't you think so?
well, maybe i don't understand it, because here that kind of phones aren't so popular... are they in norway?

Originally posted by carlota@Apr 6th, 2004 - 10:22 am
why are they worried about camera phones? i think the pressure created by cameras and paparazzis is much more important than phones, don't you think so?
well, maybe i don't understand it, because here that kind of phones aren't so popular... are they in norway?
I agree that having a the paparazzi is very annoying, However, camera phones are available to the masses. In this case everyone or anyone could literally snap a photo of you and take it home, pass it around, and so on. Also it is one thing to have the paparazzi circling around you when you expect that even though you don't like it. However, with camera phones anyone could attempt to take your photo at any time. Camera phones do make everyone more vulnerable. People just take pics of random things for fun and have some have no control, so imagine if you're a public person. :blink:

I don't know how popular they are in Norway, but I have seen quite a few of them around Europe and in the US some of the stores can't keep them in stock. I would have thought that the interest that existed initially would be over by now, but people are still buying them. However, I doubt that they are as popular anywhere as they are in parts of Asia. Cell phones there are more popular to carry than handbags and wallets. Everyone seems to have one.

Camera phones are incredibly popular in Norway, and they're getting cheaper and cheaper. Parents tend to buy phones, with or without camera, for their children, some times very young children.

The reason for what might become a problem, when Ingrid Alexandra and Marius grows older... is that the camera phones will be everywhere. People can snap a picture of them in situations where they feel safe, and sell the picture to the papers.

Paparazzies might be trouble - but at least then it's not a class mate, or someone you trusted, who took an amusing picture and sent it to VG, Se & Hør, or any other magazine...

Camera phones are also not as obvious and much more inobtrusive. So, for the very reasons Norwegianne points out, anyone could have their picture taken anywhere without their knowing. Because it may appear as if someone is only talking on their phone or playing with their phone, when really they are taking your picture and invading your privacy.

For this very reason, cell phones period have been banned in gyms and the such where some people might "prey" on other people while they are working out or changing.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Apr 4th, 2004 - 5:12 am
Since Haakon & Märtha grew up as two pretty normal kids, Haakon played football and played games all over Oslo with not much media coverage at all... I'm hoping that Ingrid Alexandra and Marius will have it too.

For Marius, as long as he behaves when he grows up, there will probably be less and less media attention.

For Ingrid Alexandra, whether she behaves or not, probably more and more.

But good behaviour will probably work in their favour as the press gives them much more coverage when they screw something up.

and screwing up every now & again is also part of growing up. The press really bothers me when they do their "Tell All" stories about how some young royal did something wrong. I mean c'mon we've all done things in our lives which were less than stellar. You learn from it & you move on. The only ones that should make a big deal of it are the parents not the press.

Camera phones are also becoming a problem in the US in stores. While waiting in line, a person behind you with a camera phone can take a picture of your credit card without you even knowing it. From that picture, they can get your name, credit card number and expiration date. They then can use your credit card online to make lots of purchases.

I hope the press goes easy on Ingrid Alexandra and Marius and lets them develop as the people they want to be, like Haakon and Martha-Louise were able to.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Apr 6th, 2004 - 10:15 am
Camera phones are incredibly popular in Norway, and they're getting cheaper and cheaper. Parents tend to buy phones, with or without camera, for their children, some times very young children.

The reason for what might become a problem, when Ingrid Alexandra and Marius grows older... is that the camera phones will be everywhere. People can snap a picture of them in situations where they feel safe, and sell the picture to the papers.

Paparazzies might be trouble - but at least then it's not a class mate, or someone you trusted, who took an amusing picture and sent it to VG, Se & Hør, or any other magazine...
i see... i haven't thought of that... ;)

Originally posted by irishchic5@Apr 6th, 2004 - 12:27 pm
Camera phones are also becoming a problem in the US in stores. While waiting in line, a person behind you with a camera phone can take a picture of your credit card without you even knowing it. From that picture, they can get your name, credit card number and expiration date. They then can use your credit card online to make lots of purchases.

I hope the press goes easy on Ingrid Alexandra and Marius and lets them develop as the people they want to be, like Haakon and Martha-Louise were able to.
Also they are banning them in gyms as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom