Spanish State Visit to Norway: June 6-8, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emily said:
Do the Norwegian King and Queen not get along? I think I might have read that they lead separate lives -- the King certainly seems very distant toward his wife.
Well I do not think you have read it in NOrwegian press, in german press maybe:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit I was doubtful about the length of Mette-Marit's dress, seeing as how Sonja and Sofia both wore long gowns. But seeing Princess Astrid with a dress of similar length - I guess Mette-Marit is properly attired after all. ;)

I liked the dress though. And I liked her hairstyle. Having a barette (or whatever it was) hold her hair to the side, this way - looks much softer than the way she normally wears it.

Love all the royal ladies gala dresses! :)

Sofia's gown looks kinda vintage (?).

I love that Martha Louise has lightened her hair as well, it looks fantastic! ;)

Several more from the Spanish Community Reception
(from facetoface)

Munch impresses Spanish royals
...The day's activities continued with Queens Sofia and Sonja visiting Ullevål University Hospital, where they learned about the treatment of Alzheimer's patients in Norway, Alzheimer's being a topic of special interest to the Spanish queen.
The two queens left the hospital to a crowd that included children from Soria Maria day care center, and the youngsters presented flowers.

Jørgen Kramer Johansen, 6, gave his to Queen Sofia and got a hug on each cheek in return.
"But I really think that kind of cuddling is a bit icky," Jørgen said.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1343341.ece

English caption to theese pictures previously posted
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/bildeserier/article1343372.ece

A selection from UK Press from Day 2

Attachments

• Spain_Visit_Norway_62-UKP.jpg
    Spain_Visit_Norway_62-UKP.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Spain_Visit_Norway_63-UKP.jpg
    Spain_Visit_Norway_63-UKP.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Spain_Visit_Norway_64-UKP.jpg
    Spain_Visit_Norway_64-UKP.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Spain_Visit_Norway_66-UKP.jpg
    Spain_Visit_Norway_66-UKP.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Spain_Visit_Norway_67-UKP.jpg
    Spain_Visit_Norway_67-UKP.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 293
  • Spain_Visit_Norway_61-UKP.jpg
    Spain_Visit_Norway_61-UKP.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
All ladies were beautiful! Thanks for pictures! Sonja's last gown is absolutely great, Sofia's is nice, but a bit too colourful. M-M looks beautiful, maybe the dress is a bit too casual for this kind of event, but anyway I would like to have sth like that for myself:D
And ML's hubby is getting more and more handsome every time I see him...:D

Wonderful blue outfit from M-M today, it makes up for last night's black/white tablecloth!! Although the first outfit she wore today, the one to the luncheon with the blue jacket/white skirt did not flatter her figure, but I loved her shoes!!
Both Queens looked very smart in their day outfits, but Sonja did not do well in her gala gown (her shawl needed to be a different colour, more to match her dress), while Sofia did a great job of pulling off the horizontal/diagonal stripes of her dress :)
ML's yellow dress was very nice as well, but I'm not quite sure whether it was a good choice to wear to this type of event. But still very nice overall.

Thanks everyone for the pictures!! :)

It enchants the princess to me? I congratulate the Norwegians because I see it very correct in everything, The Queen Sofia this so elegant as always very handsome. :) !!!

Her_Majesty said:
When I look at all these pictures it's just hard for me to belive Sonja's age! She still looks wonderful! She doesn't look like a woman that will turn 70 in 1 (?) year! :eek: :rolleyes:

I agree . She looks so beautiful for her age ! Stunning ...:)

Emily said:
Do the Norwegian King and Queen not get along? I think I might have read that they lead separate lives -- the King certainly seems very distant toward his wife.

In fact, I believe that King Harald is fairly distant toward everyone . Not especially toward his wife . I think it's just the way he is . But it's not because he doesn't show much affection that he does not get along with people ...

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Very genuine gown for Queen Sofia. I'm very found of :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Infanta Pilar ' s tiara, compared with the Great britain, Spanish Royal Family don't have a lot of tiaras. As with princess letizia the women need so much tiaras ( even they have five yet, in a good shape ) we can imagine that the King himslf, who want to buy back all " les bijoux de passage " do it for this muy regal tiara because it's better to buy a tiara like that than for instance buy one in auction as those of Princess Margareth or that command one near the great jeweller.
It's only a theory, and I say that because is quiet obvious that the Infanta Pilar is no wearing a lot this master piece and it's not a jewel in the style of her daughter Somoneta. May be i'm wrong;):p
[/FONT]

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/82261/19.jpg

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
An article about the press covering the visit, and the visit to Troll:
22 reporters and photographers from Spain is covering the state visit and approxemetly the same number of Norwegian press.

Yet today when they are going out to Troll the number of press is very limited. 36 people are going in 2 choppers, that includes 2 Norwegian photographers, one Spanish TV team and King Juan Carlos personal house photographer. Information secretary in Statoil says it would have been good if more press had come, but it is the ministry of forreign affairs that has arranged it. There is however room for Queen Sofias personal hairdresser who will help the ladies with the hair considering they will have to wear hard-hats:p

The interest for Norwegian gas has increased across Europe, and Spain has long wished an energy cooperation with Norway, the Norwegian Prime Minister discussed it with PM Zapartero earlier this year
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1343772.ece

Queen Sofia and her flower bouquet at the Welcome Ceremony (on day 1)

(from brunopress)

Pics from terra:
Anyway, we don't have a chance to see the Kings wearing such "garmets" too often, do we?:D

Attachments

• 720806e296709g.jpg
    720806e296709g.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 720806e291d97g.jpg
    720806e291d97g.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 720806e2961f4g.jpg
    720806e2961f4g.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 720806e29b019g.jpg
    720806e29b019g.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 317
  • 720806e29b33ag.jpg
    720806e29b33ag.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 338
LaChicaMadrilena said:
Pics from terra:
Anyway, we don't have a chance to see the Kings wearing such "garmets" too often, do we?:D
Thanks for those LaChicaMadrilena. It definitely is a sight we're not used to! :D

It looks like some delegation from a movie like 'Armagedon' or something like that. A bunch of astronauts who are going to safe the world!

oh my gosh... what are those orange suits?
i agree.. they look like a group of astronouts.
well.. that's gotta be one of the funniest outfits i've seen in royals.

mtbcm said:
You are going to excuse me but ONLY Kings look like Austronouts. Queens look as lovely and elegant as with their daily suits and Gala Gowns.

Any idea why they dressed HRH this way?! Security measures?! Harald and Juan Carlos' idea?! :D Kidding...

They were going to visit a platform of gas extraction in the middle of the sea, for safety they were taking these suits that allow to float and to protect of the frozen temperatures of the sea if there is some fall from the platform.;)

thanks so much for all the great photos, i've enjoyed this visit because the families are having such a good time together and it comes through in the pics. Queen Sonia is such a lovely lady and Queen Sofia has the face of an angel i think all of their outfits looks good on them. especially liked QSofia in the peach (orange) suit, it flattered her coloring so well. QSonias skirt detail was gorgeous but didn't like the wrap tied in front. i'm not going to comment on MM tablecloth skirt but i will say that boxy black jacket was just not becoming on her, cut her in half and made her look wide imo. She has a lovely face and fantastic hair she should wear simple classic clothes to keep attention there, she's still young she could dress younger but not trendy.
the Queens look regal in the orange suits, the men look silly, just goes to show its not what you wear.

VIDEO (BT.no)
At the end of the video the spanish journalists ask about what Troll means, have you not heared of Trolls in Spain?:p

From statoil, picture by Harald Pettersen
staoil8ob.jpg
caption
The king and queen of Spain visited the Statoil operated Troll A platform today, 8 June, along with the Norway's king and queen.
The royal couples headed a delegation of 36 visitors, 18 of whom are from Spain, including Spanish foreign minister Miguel Angel Moratinos.

King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, King Harald and Queen Sonja were accompanied by Statoil's chief executive Helge Lund. Platform manager Karsten Storebø showed them round. Mr Lund talked to the delegation about Statoil's role as a reliable supplier of gas to Europe, of Troll's significance as the largest gas field on the Norwegian continental shelf and about plans for the future. The royal couples were then taken down inside the platform shaft to 303 metres below sea level. This was the first time Statoil hosted a visit to a platform by two royal couples. Mr Storebø was also platform manager on Troll A the last time King Harald paid a visit in June 1998.

Last edited:
here's a picture of the Troll A Platform from Aftenposten :

from EPA :
Queen Sonia of Norway and Queen Sofia of Spain (forward, R), King Juan Carlos of Spain (L) and King Harald of Norway, arrived at the coastal city of Bergen, for a helicopter ride to Troll A platform in the North Sea, completing their Scandinavian visit.

More from Nettavisen & Siste

Attachments

• kong_juan_carlos_og_251674c.jpg
    kong_juan_carlos_og_251674c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 248
  • sonja__harald__sofi_251670m.jpg
    sonja__harald__sofi_251670m.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 281
  • sonja__harald__sofi_251670x.jpg
    sonja__harald__sofi_251670x.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 20060608-049_jpg_863090g.jpg
    20060608-049_jpg_863090g.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 278
Emily said:

This must have been a tabloid. In Europe, King Harald and Queen Sonja
are famous among royal watchers for their happy marriage...!
I can see nor hint whatsoever, that the King would be distant in any
way to his wife. I really don´t know what you´re talking about!?

I´ve another point: I´m quite "shocked" to see that we seem to have reached a stage by now, where not even long Galagowns are worn for the return dinner(by the younger generation). Not so long ago it was even orders and tiaras....!

I've liked all of Sofia's outfits, very stylish, flattering and appropriate. Loved her day suits, beautiful colors, beautifully cut. I also really liked her colorful striped dress, trendy and fun.

I also liked Martha Louise's outfits: young, flattering, colorful, but still appropriate.

MM's outfit at the arrival was very nice, and I thought flattered her very nicely. And such a nice change from all the black and swamping clothes she has been wearing lately. I also liked her black plaid skirt though not the top she wore with it (too much material, badly cut). Same with her boxy jacket - too much material, badly cut, and not summery. The blue lace dress was really unflattering.

beautiful pictures ,they looks all so relext, but they know eathother very long.

This afternoon there was a lunch/dinner given at the Royal Yacht - Norge
All the traffic was stopped in the center of Bergen, several 100 people was lining the baricades including 100 spaniards, there were 90 guests at the lunch (Im always suprised how many they fit in that ship, it does not look that big)
King Juan Carlos is flying home tonight at 21.00, King Harald as well, I guess Sonja will stay on the ship as she is using it this weekend on the west coast.
Pictures from BA and BT
http://www.ba.no/nyheter/article2139472.ece

Attachments

• 20060608-049_jpg_863090g.jpg
    20060608-049_jpg_863090g.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 259
  • spanskekongen_863128g.jpg
    spanskekongen_863128g.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Funny pictures of the Royals wearing this orange things! ;)
IMO the Norwegian Royal couple looks a bit closer today then during the last days. It seems harald is a very "shy" person that doesn't show many emotions and lovely gestures in public. :eek:

Larzen said:
This afternoon there was alunch/dinner given at the Royal Yacht - Norge
All the traffic was stopped in the center of Bergen, several 100 people was linig the baricades including 100 spaniards, htere were 90 guests at the lunch (Im always suprised how many they fit in that ship, it does not look that big)
King Juan Carlos is flying home tonight at 21.00, King Harald as well, I guess Sonja will stay on the ship as she is using it this weekend on the west coast.
Pictures from BA
http://www.ba.no/nyheter/article2139472.ece

only King Juan Carlos? what about Queen Sofia, is she staying with Sonja?or is she coming back to Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom